Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
7 minutes ago, MR EXTREMES said:

I really think I'm going to throw the towel in.

Very disappointed indeed it's not going to happen the heights to the south are really stubborn maybe Nina forcing is the thorn in the coldies sides.

Once again close no cigar but hey mild and stormy in the later runs.

Although it's only November so maybe we might get another shot.

Lets wait until ECM then we can throw the towel in together.:friends:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the GFS was the first one to spot a change in lala land with a switch from a cold dominated outlook to steadly milder one. ECM and ukmo following slowly.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

Well the GFS was the first one to spot a change in lala land with a switch from a cold dominated outlook to steadly milder one. ECM and ukmo following slowly.

not sure i agree with that PIT, gfs has been churning out some cold runs over the last day or two while the euros said no.

Anyway, im off to the moan thread, i have a feeling i might be posting there for quite a while. :)

• Like 3

Posted

Although the Euro heights are probably not helping, I think the main reason why the models are struggling to bring the cold down from the North is down to the west based NAO and history tells us that it will be mild for us when that happens so those Euro heights are not going to go away. As I said a few days ago I think its meteologically (almost) impossible for the UK to get cold weather with a west based NAO. Some GFS runs hinted at the return of the PV in the Labrador Sea which perhaps helped to form a proper Greenland high and the Northerly as a result but very few runs have been showing this so its no real surprise it has eventually changed again.

Whilst you can't rule out a return to cold weather after this weekend chilly snap, I just think the overwhelming evidence suggests it will be mild next week, how long it will take for the Atlantic to fully come in is a bit more uncertain at this stage though. If this what happens its most certainly will be a missed opportunity when you got ridges and an Arctic high over the poles at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Some interest in the gefs height.anomalies suggesting we may not go mild zonal for too long.The main strength of the growing pv over the Siberian side with +ve anomalies still to our north west.

gensnh-21-5-300.pnggraphe3_1000___-1.60377358491_52.2672064

Probably no immediate signal for a notable cold pattern but further polar maritime shots quite possible with further Atlantic ridging.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We should be used to this by now. I think this is the third or fourth year on the trot that the models have forecast a very cold last third of November only for this to implode nearer the time. I will be shocked if ecm shows coldie eye candy tonight. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
27 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

not sure i agree with that PIT, gfs has been churning out some cold runs over the last day or two while the euros said no.

Anyway, im off to the moan thread, i have a feeling i might be posting there for quite a while. :)

Remember I'm looking mostly at one 12oz.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

We should be used to this by now. I think this is the third or fourth year on the trot that the models have forecast a very cold last third of November only for this to implode nearer the time. I will be shocked if ecm shows coldie eye candy tonight. 

Last November was a cold one though, at least around this time last year it was according to the achieve charts. I do think its unfortunate on a UK's perspective that days ago, the models picked up on the west based NAO signal and as soon as that happens, mild weather becomes a heavy favorite

The only hope for coldies is that the models perhaps pick up the signal the NAO won't become too far west based and we get a better ridge into Greenland like a few GFS runs and a couple of ensemble runs have shown. It just shows the fine margins really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

This is getting silly now.:doh:

ECM1-120.gif

ECM0-96.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Shortwave chaos!

All big 3 disagree with these and this looks like its got a bit more mileage to go. No resolution tonight regardless of what the ECM does in its later output.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
6 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Just give up. It ain't gonna happen.

The latest ECM disagrees

ECMOPEU12_120_1.png

Not sure why you are writing off the rest of November, when the pattern for next week still isn't settled. Yes the milder option has the greatest chance of prevailing but a lot is yet to be resolved.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Shortwave chaos!

All big 3 disagree with these and this looks like its got a bit more mileage to go. No resolution tonight regardless of what the ECM does in its later output.

Yep enough for me  still lots to be resolved  

• Like 2

Posted

Found the following site for charts recently, might have been flagged elsewhere but it's an excellent resource for charts.  If you don't mind using a translator, you'll find almost every parameter you could hope for (though the key is knowing what to use when...

e.g. for general outlook up to maybe 120-212, dependent on dear old Shannon E., standard 500 geopotential: https://kachelmannwetter.com/de/modellkarten/euro/europa/geopotential-500hpa/20171119-1800z.html

for the next day, determine whether you might see white stuff, there's a whole host of parameters to choose from, such as 925 temperature: https://kachelmannwetter.com/de/modellkarten/euro/europa/temperatur-925hpa/20171117-0900z.html,

probability of heavier precipitation: https://kachelmannwetter.com/de/modellkarten/euro/europa/niederschlag-ueber-10mm/20171117-0000z.html , dew point: https://kachelmannwetter.com/de/modellkarten/euro/europa/taupunkt/20171117-0000z.html etc.etc.

Enjoy

• Like 1

Posted

that run was pretty close to avoiding phasing the atlantic and arctic low heights. pretty confident that the 00z will reveal if it will actually be possible to do this or if they can phase in a position favourable to bring cold to nw Europe. still the most unlikely call.

• Like 3

Posted

Still a west based NAO on the ECM though, despite the details changing for the UK from each run which as you expect, this is the common theme so whilst the cold air tries to filter in, the milder air soon fights back, nevertheless it shows not everything is a foregone conclusion and the uncertainty still surrounds just how quickly any milder air gets in over the whole of the UK.

Its one of those where what the GFS showed earlier is not as far away as some might think just like when the charts were showing cold weather, the milder SW'lies were not too far away either, its kind of knife edge stuff if albeit the mild air is still the form horse.