Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
32 minutes ago, mulzy said:

The JMA long-ranger is relatively positive in my book.

image.thumb.png.b5a75087467b8b477a89dd0daecd1592.png

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/pztmap.php

with no low anomaly to our south the climatological 'average' will be too high to allow the pattern to advect cold to nw europe 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted

I still would not discount a cold/ very cold spell establishing itself in 6 to 10 days time. Still plenty to play for.

The Jarma charts for what they are worth are good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
22 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

with no low anomaly to our south the climatological 'average' will be too high to allow the pattern to advect cold to nw europe 

Northern Britain looks like being generally on the cold side during the next few weeks and more according to the Experts with snow at times, unless I'm missing something, there is a chance of wintry spells for the uk as has been shown on some recent / current model output..especially further north!:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

High anomaly to the NW, low anomaly to the SW and E - looks pretty good to me for an anomaly chart.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Ooz ec-

Further highlighting....divergance!!

Wide open being the word.

Some complexions to say the very least.

Look-forwards to yet another set of 12z......

20171116_134923.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
2 hours ago, festivalking said:

Ding Ding Round 1! So the first heavy weight bout of the season gets underway. In the Blue corner we have GFS with a flurry of cold promises and in the red corner we have the UKMO and ECM hoping to keep the heating bills down for a bit longer. Betting has swung one way and the next current favourites are the ECM/UKMO combination not to say GFS can’t influence a result.

All puns aside this is what model watching for me is all about. Disagreements in the long term is normal but into the short to medium is just fascinating! Just hope I don’t get model burn out as its only mid November!

For me it's hard to have confidence in the GFS when it's not maintaining consistency within the early part of its own runs, no matter about the broad consistency of where the last three end up.

I feel disappointment in the air regarding the rest of this month, but encouragement going forward into winter.  We surely can't get a complete winter of promising models with nothing delivered can we...not twice in a row surely!

Mention is often made of winters past which have been magical very often begining with models alternating between the freezer and mild mush, perhaps understandable because of our position.

However.....what about Bartlett dominated winters?  How soon do they become apparent?

Would seeing charts like this in November 1988 for example have caused great excitement among those hoping for a cold winter?  Of was it already clear then what was going to be the outcome

Rrea00119881120.gif

I refuse to get my hopes up this time...I will keep my feet on the ground....but I'll despair if we turn out to have a similar outcome!!! 

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

For me it's hard to have confidence in the GFS when it's not maintaining consistency within the early part of its own runs, no matter about the broad consistency of where the last three end up.

I feel disappointment in the air regarding the rest of this month, but encouragement going forward into winter.  We surely can't get a complete winter of promising models with nothing delivered can we...not twice in a row surely!

Mention is often made of winters past which have been magical very often begining with models alternating between the freezer and mild mush, perhaps understandable because of our position.

However.....what about Bartlett dominated winters?  How soon do they become apparent?

Would seeing charts like this in November 1988 for example have caused great excitement among those hoping for a cold winter?  Of was it already clear then what was going to be the outcome

Rrea00119881120.gif

I refuse to get my hopes up this time...I will keep my feet on the ground....but I'll despair if we turn out to have a similar outcome!!! 

But that eventually led to this...

NOAA_1_1989040318_1.thumb.png.e3c7e5e24734bb9ad9da32065ff316b9.png

On April the 3rd of the following year  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

There's still some chances of snow for us up North at least, that's something!! And for mid November we should take it! 

Posted
26 minutes ago, swilliam said:

High anomaly to the NW, low anomaly to the SW and E - looks pretty good to me for an anomaly chart.

The surface feature that would probably appear to our South being a high. The point being that to bring any cold right across the country requires a flow which generally means you need low pressure to our south. Any low heights whatsoever over France will always show as a low anomoly because the climatological average is fairly high. There is no anomoly showing on that jma chart so I would assume that there is no signal for low heights that week which means you likey see a weak upper ridge as is standard late November for that area between the Atlantic and e European lows 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Coming back to my current hobby horse-the split jet scenario-which i posted about yesterday.The crucial time when looking at this evenings charts will be around day 5- T120hrs,this is where modelling is showing how the jet splits north and south.It really would be all over quite quickly if the energy all swept into the northern arm so this is a key development to monitor.

gfseu-5-114.png?6

A look at the latest runs at the same time GFS/UKMO/ECM

gfseu-0-114.png?6UE120-21.GIF?16-05ECE1-120.GIF?16-12

We need to see that trough out west heading south as it did on last night's GFS 18z and to a similar extent on the 00z run.This avoided the 2 main pv lobes phasing together which kept a window open for continued ridging north of the Azores high and this in conjunction with the Scandinavian trough eventually brought the cold south.The GFS 06z run has moved some way towards the other 2 but we still managed some cold later on before it all broke down. 

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

npsh500.png  npsh500.png

One thing I've been struck by in terms of the GFS runs today is the removal of the west-based negative NAO

npsh500.168.png

ECM has a sharper trough-ridge-trough sequence across the U.S. which allows the ridge to nose into NE Canada and seemingly force disruption and a total split apart of the trough that GFS allows to remain in-situ over Canada. This being another important piece of the puzzle alongside the N. Atlantic calamity capers.

Perhaps we have here a case in which we could really do with ECM falling foul to it's tendency to go a bit far with ridge/trough amplification? That being different to the usual situation in which that produces tantalising charts that prove merely to be cruel teasers?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

GFS 12z rolling out soon. Going to be an interesting one i'm sure!

I'm expecting another downgrade but i'll gladly be proven wrong :D I knew I shouldn't have got carried away with last nights 18z. Was lured in by the pub run AGAIN :oops:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
41 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

We need to see that trough out west heading south as it did on last night's GFS 18z and to a similar extent on the 00z run.This avoided the 2 main pv lobes phasing together which kept a window open for continued ridging north of the Azores high and this in conjunction with the Scandinavian trough eventually brought the cold south.The GFS 06z run has moved some way towards the other 2 but we still managed some cold later on before it all broke down. 

I'm afraid that's about to bust the 12z already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
22 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

GFS 12z rolling out soon. Going to be an interesting one i'm sure!

I'm expecting another downgrade but i'll gladly be proven wrong :D I knew I shouldn't have got carried away with last nights 18z. Was lured in by the pub run AGAIN :oops:

yes i does look as if your right even on the early stages of the GFS everything is moving east more quickly this time round its looking more and more likely the UKMO has shown the way once again 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Milder air further east at t96 compared to the 06z

96-7UK.thumb.GIF.48667040ae264ed4026a9fcbaeb566fd.GIF96-7UK.GIF1.thumb.GIF.fcc97a0cec7689837a0d34dab1d12d2d.GIF

NE Scotland is around 5c warmer on this run

ukmaxtemp.png1.thumb.png.6d8f495e4079b53dedb3ea05089a53a5.pngukmaxtemp.thumb.png.cd2d6bc145fdd80bb569fcd30af60b2c.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

looks a better run to me so far, low seems further south to me at +114? Could be wrong. need few more frames yet...

Edited by karlos1983
typo
  • Like 2

Posted

UKMO +96, UN96-21.thumb.gif.e0149b51a63f4f520d7a7888fd56b068.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

This may not actually turn out to be a bad run in the longer term. High building over Greenland and after the initial low throwing a spanner into the works, it may turn out to be a pretty blocked scenario.

GFSOPEU12_135_1.png

• Like 2

Posted

Can imagine the +168 UKMO chart wont look to pretty if it's cold you want sooner rather than later

UKMOPEU12_144_1.thumb.png.35e977a3f05a7407e62390b7878cb4d8.png

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, frosty ground said:

gfs-2-132.png?12
Unless you live in the North?

Or even better, move to Day 10!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The problem is with these w-based setups or anything where low heights / pressure / pv lobes engage each other to the N of the Uk, they rarely give you another chance down the line, its all or nothing and the jet just fires up and your back looking to deep fi again.