Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted

1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

I see the GFS 18Z has created some excitement. Out of respect to the dreamers, I shall not post the EC clusters, as to allow the dreams to carry on a little longer.

Ah!  But that data is 6 hours older! 

Could well have thundersnow coming off a still-warm North Sea pushing well inland from these sort of synoptics.gfs-0-204.png?18

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I see the GFS 18Z has created some excitement. Out of respect to the dreamers, I shall not post the EC clusters, as to allow the dreams to carry on a little longer.

Are they absolutely dyer?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Nah! Just post the 72hr fax chart instead which looks even better than the 68hr 18z chart ☺

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Whoaaaa there!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Are we all ready with our toys, maybe they wont be needed.

Wouldn't it just be typical for the untrusted model (GFS) to go and nail this chapter and verse.

I'm outa words to describe this 18z...

Posted

Important to focus on the near-term prospects, i.e. what the models are showing with regard to this weekend's high pressure/ridge, there are signals it will take a more north-south elongation, this would enable warm air advection to take place to our west, and crucially cold air advection to our east, and with the main forcing coming from the trough to our NE, the atlantic low pressure system will have no-where to go but head south and be squeezed out. If heights take on a more NE-SW alignment this will allow the atlantic to have a greater chance of building in.

Very very fine margins.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The 18Z certainly threw one up there.. It looked as though it would evolve in to an Easterly, but it's gone in reverse, backing in to a Northerly then in to a North-Westerly. Obviously the flow stays cold, but it does look weird! I thought I was moving back through the charts rather than forward. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The 12z op was a cold outlier, I suspect this one will be too.

BUT. The ops are run at a higher resolution than the ensembles so often do pick out patterns and then we see the ENS coming into line later.

BUT x 2. There is almost zero support for the GFS 18z outcome within the EC EPS or it's own ensemble suit (based on previous ensembles, this could change on the 18z ensembles suite and I'll be surprised if some don't follow it)

Conclusion: I expect the GFS will probably backtrack come tomorrow morning, but we can't completely discredit the 18z until then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Finally.......GFS 18z 15/11 is the model that gets it.   Hoorah!

BFTP

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Are we all ready with our toys, maybe they wont be needed.

Wouldn't it just be typical for the untrusted model (GFS) to go and nail this chapter and verse.

I'm outa words to describe this 18z...

Mine will be needed when 00Z trends towards ECM tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
5 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Nah! Just post the 72hr fax chart instead which looks even better than the 68hr 18z chart ☺

Yes its a lot better, I'm waiting for the T120 fax chart to come out, running a bit late this evening, I wonder why that is?:rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I have to say that 18z run is an example of how we good get absolutely pasted with achievable uppers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Let’s just keep feet on ground we all no we have been here before  anyway a lovely chart there .. I will be eating my breakfast behind the sofa in the morning.:rofl:

08613CF3-9065-43EA-BFF1-D84FE8594EF5.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Go on, have another look...you know you want to!

gfsnh-0-198.png?18

An absolute corker of a pub run, almost worthy of a 'that GFS' tag.  Probably about 5-10% chance of verifying but it's lovely to go to bed on.  *IF* this comes to fruition, any areas with some elevation will be digging themselves out for a while but most places would probably get a decent covering.  Lets hope for an ECM turnaround in the morning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The way we get there though, a lot needs to go right. If the 18z is to be believed, the high pressure over the UK needs to hang on until low pressure reaches Spain, then magically disintergrate as soon as that happens. While this is happening a shortwave needs to develop to our North then rapidly intensify as it travels south down the North Sea. So yea just a word of caution that this is a very unlikely scenario.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes its a lot better, I'm waiting for the T120 fax chart to come out, running a bit late this evening, I wonder why that is?:rolleyes:

Always runs late at crucial times. Meto loves to torture. Don't forget the 96hr chart is still to update too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Wooooo that 18z looks a stonker , would be a early Christmas present if verifys ,but caution follows excitement,we shall see ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, booferking said:

Well that was fun it was like happy hour :rofl:  lets see if we can get more support from the ens.

I’m not even going to ruin it by looking, I’m off to Dream snow drifts 

gfs :give_rose: