Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Tbf after 144..

Its a case of throwing darts in the dark..

Crossboard...

Lets see what ec-says 120/240 hrs.

On its 12z.

6zgfsnh-0-228.png

12zgfsnh-0-222.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Maybe for once the pattern starts too far west, then corrects east as we get closer to T zero and we end up with a belting North Easterly!! Nice thought anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Seriously I don't think I've ever known the models to change so much as this before!:cc_confused:

Even the chopping and changing that occurs during the summer months is nothing compared to this.:nonono:

In all honesty though I wan't the charts that are showing the atlantic to fire up next week be correct as this Autumn has been rather boring for Atlantic storms so far and its becoming rather dull.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 hour ago, frosty ground said:

Not sure showing a few random Outliers is of any use.....

Perhaps i should post them more often..it's certainly helped the 12z runs so far:D:cold:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
7 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

Seriously I don't think I've ever known the models to change so much as this before!:cc_confused:

Even the chopping and changing that occurs during the summer months is nothing compared to this.:nonono:

In all honesty though I wan't the charts that are showing the atlantic to fire up next week be correct as this Autumn has been rather boring for Atlantic storms so far and its becoming rather dull.

I wonder what new signal they have all picked up, I mean UKMO, GFS and GEM have all shifted in the same direction at once. Very strange.:cc_confused:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A much colder look again from GFS probs best to wait for the ens a bit later this afternoon to see how it sits certainly not game over yet by any means the key time looks later next week

GFSOPEU12_198_2.thumb.png.9a3c45b4255db0ee93ae473c1f7de4ba.pngGFSOPEU12_225_2.thumb.png.1c16e3c57d705e0b9de14c4ad324208f.png

• Like 3

Posted

Well,first post for me at(nearly)the start of silly season.

I really think the models are struggling big-time with the AO  tanking and the PV in tatters(for now).

As long as meto don't mention mild mushfest in their med/long forecast,I'm happy.

A lot of good pointers and signals for the season ahead with ups and big downs but we're due a decent one ;)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Maybe the signal is for the subtropical storm SW of the Azores, which had a 50% chance to develop yesterday, now dropped to 5%. Less energy out west helping build a more stable block?

• Like 7

Posted
20 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Oh yeah, we all know tomorrow or the day after there's every chance more building blocks start popping up on some model and cheering everybody up again. Always happens whether it comes to anything or not.

Well there you go.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

As I said this morning, I saw this coming! It’s the way it’s always been with the models. That’s why it’s a roller coaster ride each winter! The Meto are going for blocking, they are mentioning it in the media (heard mention on the radio this week). There will be some ups and downs still to be had  but it’s looking far more positive this year. Eyes down for the ECM

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
4 minutes ago, khodds said:

As I said this morning, I saw this coming! It’s the way it’s always been with the models. That’s why it’s a roller coaster ride each winter! The Meto are going for blocking, they are mentioning it in the media (heard mention on the radio this week). There will be some ups and downs still to be had  but it’s looking far more positive this year. Eyes down for the ECM

Looking better.

But again anything after 144hrs is wide open.

With an array of options.

Ecm 12z 'should' cast a little light.

We are at that juncture/point.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Not a surprise for more changes.  Probably room for more too.  Interesting ECM tonight, with positive moves from GFS and UKMO I would like to and hope to see an upgraded ECM.  Strong solar burst hit 14/15 Nov, I wonder if it will perturb the jet stream south and the models will reflect this as we move forward.  Major flare/solar wind burst anticipated to hit Earth 24th onwards.  If nothing else should some strong lovely northern lights :cold-emoji:

BFTP

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Better support in the GFS ensembles for the Atlantic energy to be held further back at T96, encouraging signs :). Low pressure to the west of Iceland on many runs still at this time, rather then bringing SW winds to the UK.

Instead we are stuck under an anticyclone on Sunday in many ensemble members, allowing more cold to build further east hopefully...

Quite a lot of runs slowly bring the mild air next week but so much uncertainty at the moment. P13 is shaping up to be an epic run though :D

Edited by Quicksilver1989
More detail
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Hi guys, sorry for maybe off topic question, but I think it might be model related as we stand, is it true that models have lack of satellite data over Greenland?

I saw it written here before when models had no clue during blocking period,could that contribute to the fact of huge swings and forecast uncertainty even at 5 days range?

If so, is there any link to official sources that could confirm this?

thanks 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I don't think much has really changed. The 12z is just showing a colder run in fantasy land; it has no more chance of occurring than the mild weather being shown on the 6z.

Personally think we will see a West based NAO and average conditions in the UK with fronts crossing from the SW.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

GEM is on board. Could we get full agreement now with the ECM, or will it be the party pooper I wonder?:)

gem-0-144.png

gem-0-180.png

gem-1-144.png

gem-1-180.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
1 minute ago, jules216 said:

Hi guys, sorry for maybe off topic question, but I think it might be model related as we stand, is it true that models have lack of satellite data over Greenland?

I saw it written here before when models had no clue during blocking period,could that contribute to the fact of huge swings and forecast uncertainty even at 5 days range?

If so, is there any link to official sources that could confirm this?

thanks 

This lack of data line is trotted out every silly season. 

If this is the case would we not see inaccuracy in whatever the models were forecasting in the area and downstream from there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

I don't think much has really changed. The 12z is just showing a colder run in fantasy land; it has no more chance of occurring than the mild weather being shown on the 6z.

Personally think we will see a West based NAO and average conditions in the UK with fronts crossing from the SW.

Boo hoo, you sound of reason you!