Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

What is of most concern (to me) is the omnipresent limpet heights either to our SW, S or SE. It's almost as if they're consistently being displaced N towards our shores. We saw last winter just how stubborn these heights are.

I would love to know what is causing these persistent Euro highs in winter. The models only ever seem to realise their existence at 6 to 7 days out. At days 8 to 10 these highs are nowhere to be seen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
13 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I would love to know what is causing these persistent Euro highs in winter. The models only ever seem to realise their existence at 6 to 7 days out. At days 8 to 10 these highs are nowhere to be seen.

I've mentioned this before on here. It's the expanded tropical high pressure belt (Hadley Cell) that includes the Azores High. It's not only in winter we experience this either. It's pretty rare to have a poor summer in the SE of England now due to the expanded tropical high cells having enough influence in summer too - even in the most unsettled summers. Even in 2012 the SE had a nice warm August. The models don't seem to have a handle on quite how dominant southern heights are becoming/have become and I'm not sure why. I really worry about winters in this country now (that is the first 'winter is over... forever' post!)

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

There's only one bet I'm going to place tonight, and that's to bet that we won't see conformity on all the op runs in the next 48 hours!!! We have a -AO and -NAO coming up, anyone who thinks the models have it nailed beyond D5 is very, very optimistic about their ability!!!

Great post. I think coldies shouldn't give up hope just yet for the reasons explained above. Very unusual synoptics and the models have the notoriously and famously unpredictable Arctic high to contend with. Good luck with that models.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, LRD said:

I've mentioned this before on here. It's the expanded tropical high pressure belt (Hadley Cell) that includes the Azores High. It's not only in winter we experience this either. It's pretty rare to have a poor summer in the SE of England now due to the expanded tropical high cells having enough influence in summer too - even in the most unsettled summers. Even in 2012 the SE had a nice warm August. The models don't seem to have a handle on quite how dominant southern heights are becoming/have become and I'm not sure why. I really worry about winters in this country now (that is the first 'winter is over... forever' post!)

Spot on. 

I too have heard of this to be the reason for increased HP influence to the S. It really isn't good news as far as our winters go. It can't be surprising the modelling often fails to pick up on this too as naturally beyond a certain point they are more exposed to climatology bias. With this expansion of the Hadley cell being a rather recent occurrence, they won't have enough to go on RE most recent climatology trends. This is perhaps why we see them inflate the influence of these Euro heights closer to T0.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

What about NAO watch ....how’s that looking? :cc_confused:

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Spot on. 

I too have heard of this to be the reason for increased HP influence to the S. It really isn't good news as far as our winters go. It can't be surprising the modelling often fails to pick up on this too as naturally beyond a certain point they are more exposed to climatology bias. With this expansion of the Hadley cell being a rather recent occurrence, they won't have enough to go on RE most recent climatology trends. This is perhaps why we see them inflate the influence of these Euro heights closer to T0.

Yep agreed. Without wanting to start a climate change debate something has happened to inflate these highs and it can only be the warming climate and, as you say, the models have not yet adapted to that. I thought that modelling might have had the background warming and greater propensity for southern heights built into them but it appears not. The lesson for us is to treat modelled low pressure or low anomalies (to our south and south east) beyond days 6 or 7 with a very large pinch of salt. Might save us all some disappointment

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

AO watch 12z

GFS -5

GEFS -4.5

EC  -4

EPS  -3.3

GEMS. -3.2

All those negative values and we are STILL staring down the barrel of SWly's! At least it looks as though we will have some actual weather though - just the wet and windy kind. But I'd rather that than the excrutiatingly tedious mild and dry that we experienced in October

Posted

I think we all know the AO is going negative, that’s not the issue, the NAO going negative and whether it’s west based or not is where we will or won’t hit the gold... imo anyway 

• Like 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I think we all know the AO is going negative, that’s not the issue, the NAO going negative and whether it’s west based or not is where we will or won’t hit the gold... imo anyway 

That's the point I was sort of making. All that -AO and -NAO and we find ourselves with a mild forecast.

I honestly don't know if the science works this way but is it because the southern heights are now so dominant (sorry to labour that point but we can't get away from it) that any Greenland heights will a) quickly collapse into the Azores or b) be pushed out towards East Canada for a west-based NAO by the more powerful high cell (the southern/Azores/Euro heights)? It's strange

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

At least GFS backtracking from washout Sunday, earlier runs today and yesterday showing horrid low, 

javascript: viewimage(1);

gfs-0-114.png?18

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

There's only one bet I'm going to place tonight, and that's to bet that we won't see conformity on all the op runs in the next 48 hours!!! We have a -AO and -NAO coming up, anyone who thinks the models have it nailed beyond D5 is very, very optimistic about their ability!!!

Then equally obviously one would have to be very, I repeat, very. optimistic about their ability to correctly forecast a -AO and -NAO post day five.despite the sudden obsession with them in the thread.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

Then equally obviously one would have to be very, I repeat, very. optimistic about their ability to correctly forecast a -AO and -NAO post day five.despite the sudden obsession with them in the thread.

Totally agree Knocks, anyone who says they know what’s going to happen post D5 is a gambler. Wishes and hopes are for Christmas. 

Posted

Expect more flip flopping from the models in the next few runs, wouldn't be at all surprised to see many showing high pressure settling in and over the UK once again, jetstream profile looks rather ragged and broken, suggesting ridge development and heights will ridge through the country, low heights becoming squeezed and diffuse.

• Like 4