Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
Just now, CreweCold said:

Again, it means little.

The BBC/Metoffice were fully confident of colder weather with snow for early December last year. They were saying this mid November. There was a screenshot on here for the look ahead summary on their extended forecast but it seems to have been taken down from the thread....

I completely disagree that the opinions of professionals means little. 

In danger of going off-topic but the met office website updates never saw cold last year. Admittedly mid/late November 2016 there were some rumblings that the mid term was going to see something of interest but those website updates never did see it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Again, it means little.

The BBC/Metoffice were fully confident of colder weather with snow for early December last year. They were saying this mid November. There was a screenshot on here for the look ahead summary on their extended forecast but it seems to have been taken down from the thread....

Edit found it..

IMG_5320.JPG.d533eb7c07aba024eb250de6357

chocolate-teapot1.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, SN0WM4N said:

I can't quite see the problem. They made a forecast one that was well rounded and had the highest PROBABILITY, it was wrong but that's why it's a forecast. We don't have crystal balls and magic rituals to predict the weather accurately all we have is computer models which solve large equations to predict the weather.

They among with many made a forecast that didn't come to fruition. Which is why it's a forecast not a statement.

The point is that sometimes we have the resources to make our own decisions over probabilities. 

I believe that @Steve Murr was one of the first to spot game over last year as he was monitoring the zonal winds. This was well before the likes of the Metoffice even seemed to twig on that it wasn't going to plan.

This is not to bash any forecasting agency, I'm just making a point :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just model output discussion please.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Nice chart from ecm at 120-

ECMOPEU12_120_1.png

Snow showers across parts of Scotland- and mainly dry and cold elsewhere.:cold: Not bad for mid November  :)

Indeed.

We have to be realistic and set expectations accordingly.  It's way too early for sustained wintry weather.  It's all about building blocks and the dreaded 'p' word.

Let's review in one month's time!

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Hello all. :)

I mentioned only the other day that caution must be upheld (As other posters such as @Tamara and @CreweCold have advised too,) when looking at some of these tasty looking FL charts.

I mentioned in my last post that FLi was considered anywhere past 11/11 (t96) seeing how all models were (And still are!) in agreement up to that point-

12z GFS 07/11 t96:
gfsnh-0-96_rlm7.png

12z ECM 07/11 t96:
ECH1-96_cjm9.GIF

12z UKMO 07/11 t96:
UN96-21_qgc8.GIF

However, looking further and analyzing the recent 12z runs, I think we can further anything considered FL anywhere past t120, perhaps t144 actually, seeing how all models are in agreement with a "theme", with many similarities between them.....

12z GFS 07/11 t144:
gfsnh-0-144_wxi8.png

12z ECM 07/11 t144:
ECH1-144_rdc0.GIF

12z UKMO 07/11 t144:
UN144-21_bzq6.GIF

What we have in all models at this time is the following (In varying degrees of "theme"): Main lob of PV in North Canada/Greenland, Arctic high just north of Russia, Lows sitting over East Russia, Low sitting over Scandy, extending down to Europe and giving UK W/NW/N flow. They're all not exactly the same - but all have the same "theme" - when it gets closer to reliable, then the models will pin-point down the finer details, and we'll see which one had it right (Or all could easily be wrong! :laugh:) Perhaps this is where we're heading now? :cc_confused: Which isn't too bad when you look at it from a Hemespheticpoint of view (Potential for cold that is! - that Arctic high looks very TASTY! :clap::cold:)

The accompanies ENS and Op runs could all have this wrong though! So, expect more wobbles and ups and downs while the models try to predict what the outcome could possibly be - they have a lot to work with, what with that Arctic high causing havoc up there and all.:crazy: A lot of different outcomes to come, and most what have it down, maybe not until sometime next week. So enjoy the eye candy charts and enjoy the ride! :wink:

~mpkio2~

P.s.Tamara put it a lot more elegantly and technical than I ever could (I still get confused at how she explains things and sometimes I don't understand at all...but all the fascinating either way! ;):acute:), but its all about all the proper drivers playing for us and hopefully hitting the jackpot. If not, well there's still chances during the winter, if the drivers play ball, that is.

• Like 2

Posted

Further to my post above the GEFS is very much in the same ball park but, and it's a big but, NOAA isn't. This could be down to the different time frame and the transitional period but that is just my supposition

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_53.thumb.png.157d6262654755523bb01659398acb25.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.3696f6f5d2d0270c29b3331e0971440d.png814day_03.thumb.gif.0df321e65709f6150f88208f0afbd82b.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
27 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Nice chart from ecm at 120-

ECMOPEU12_120_1.png

Snow showers across parts of Scotland- and mainly dry and cold elsewhere.:cold: Not bad for mid November  :)

Not sure about dry elsewhere, that chart screams heavy rain for the NW Midlands, need the winds more northerly, for dry elsewhere to create wishbone effect

Posted
10 minutes ago, knocker said:

Further to my post above the GEFS is very much in the same ball park but, and it's a big but, NOAA isn't. This could be down to the different time frame and the transitional period but that is just my supposition

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_53.thumb.png.157d6262654755523bb01659398acb25.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.3696f6f5d2d0270c29b3331e0971440d.png814day_03.thumb.gif.0df321e65709f6150f88208f0afbd82b.gif

The NOAA ones looks similar to me? Or am I going blind

Posted
9 minutes ago, knocker said:

I don't see that NOAA chart as unreasonable knocker - the eps/GEFS  are drifting ever more troughy over nw Europe as week 2 progresses. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I don't see that NOAA chart as unreasonable knocker - the eps/GEFS  are drifting ever more troughy over nw Europe as week 2 progresses. 

NOAA isn't showing the same degree of positive anomalies and ridging vis Greenland and the western Atlantic thus a flatter and weaker westerly upper flow. That, in my opinion of course, is the difference.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, knocker said:

NOAA isn't showing the same degree of positive anomalies and ridging vis Greenland and the western Atlantic thus a flatter and weaker westerly upper flow. That, in my opinion of course, is the difference.

I thought that may be where you are coming from. I suspect the issue is that days 8 through 11 have no upper ridging on the eps whereas it really gets going thereafter. The mean 8/14 dayer is going to look fairly flat as a consequence. once we get to Friday, that chart will look a lot different. 

8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

This looks like a stonker but its next update is due in 3 days time I think.

convert_image-atls18-a82bacafb5c306db764

Caution required - the 500mb geopotential height reflects the anomalous warmth of the Arctic, as can be seen in the 850mb temperature charts, there are only modest positive sea level pressure anomalies to the north at best.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Interitus said:

Caution required - the 500mb geopotential height reflects the anomalous warmth of the Arctic, as can be seen in the 850mb temperature charts, there are only modest positive sea level pressure anomalies to the north at best.

Is that why there's hardly any blue anywhere? so really its on average what you would expect climatologically from a whole uk winter averaged out over 3 months then?

Posted

Not much to add - lots of very good posts today, best day for a long time in this thread..

Models are in very firm agreement up to the medium range i.e. Sunday-Monday, not often you can say that. Trough aligned NW-SE, azores high displaced further to the west than usual, allowing another chilly northerly feed this weekend - its certainly a repeating pattern, Sunday promises to bring the third cold frosty dry sunny one in a row..

Into next week, GFS and ECM show the PV stretched and ragged over N Canada, and height development over the N Pole into N Russia - feedback mechanism eventually could lead to something much colder from the north, but temporarily we could see a weak westerly milder flow develop with the azores high ridging back NE, the trigger feature to a colder scenario being a deepening of the trough swinging down through the UK.

I'm reminded of Nov 96 at the moment, that started off quite similar to this month, we then saw a significant low pressure / trough swing down on the 18th, thereafter the month turned cold and quite snowy with winds in the east. It was a precursor to a cold mostly dry December, with some snow later on. Early winter 96/97 has come up in many analogues, it was a La Nina winter descending into solar minimum.

• Like 6

Posted
51 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I thought that may be where you are coming from. I suspect the issue is that days 8 through 11 have no upper ridging on the eps whereas it really gets going thereafter. The mean 8/14 dayer is going to look fairly flat as a consequence. once we get to Friday, that chart will look a lot different. 

That indeed is my thinking which is why I added this to the original post. " This could be down to the different time frame and the transitional period but that is just my supposition" Of  course, as you obviously realize, this is a long way from a done deal depending as it does on the precise intensity and orientation of the amplification. But all interesting.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I'm reminded of Nov 96 at the moment, that started off quite similar to this month, we then saw a significant low pressure / trough swing down on the 18th, thereafter the month turned cold and quite snowy with winds in the east. It was a precursor to a cold mostly dry December, with some snow later on. Early winter 96/97 has come up in many analogues, it was a La Nina winter descending into solar minimum.

Was 96-97 not a neutral winter between the 95-96 La Nina and 97-98 El Nino? It's interesting to see the similarities play in the models however. January was really quite frigid in the first half. Just not February 1997 please!

Posted
1 hour ago, coldwinter said:

The NOAA ones looks similar to me? Or am I going blind

The NOAA chart is a flatter flow from west of  n America across the Atlantic into the trough over Europe to my eyes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

just to edit my post above with regards the low off Newfoundland,i was meant to say east of that area not south

breaking my neck to look at it right:rofl:

looking at the latest from the 18z gfs,not much of a low coming from that area,would this be a good thing or do we have that missing data debate again:rofl:?

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1