Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted

Very good FI charts on the 6z run, the trend shown in the models is encouraging

gfsnh-0-324_isd4.png

gfsnh-0-384_tau7.png

• Like 5

Posted

The Gfs 6z  keeps with the chilly theme as we enter November   then towards the end of its run  brings heights towards Greenland  and also produces an easterly  way out in Fi   interesting output for sure

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

The Gfs 6z  keeps with the chilly theme as we enter November   then towards the end of its run  brings heights towards Greenland  and also produces an easterly  way out in Fi   interesting output for sure

Certainly some interesting output as we head into late Autumn/early Winter. One eyebrow raised.

Posted
On 04/11/2017 at 22:22, LRD said:

Sorry but this sort of post is bonkers to me. There are loads of things, in the past, which have felt unsolveable but with persistence and patience those same problems have been solved by science. So EC46 might be wrong again. So what? One day in the not-too-distant EC46 will start getting it right and everyone will be lauding the overall accuracy of that and other longer range models. Waste of time and money? For trying to do the very good thing of expanding human knowledge and understanding? If our ancestors had taken that attitude we'd still be living in caves. It's funny but longer term climate models predicted the future under global warming and that's proving pretty accurate. I'll go with a continued waste of money (or, to put it another way, I'll go with a continued investment in science for the good and betterment of humankind and, maybe, even the future of the planet itself)

It up to you if you want to believe a computer program will be able to accurately predict the weather seasons in advance.

And you think soon the ec46 will achieve this:gathering:

Look how much the models struggle after 5 days .Their accuaracy drops off a cliff.

How many times do you see charts in fl verify .Todays gfs06  shows  easterly winds with High pressure over Greenland .In the next run it will change again .It always does.

• Like 3

Posted

On the EC ensembles this morning between D11 and D15, 11 out of 51 ensembles are normal fare (i.e. High pressure somewhere to the south, low pressure somewhere to the north, flow from the west), but all the others are very un-zonal, with most of them containing a high level block somewhere on our side of the hemisphere and perhaps as many as 20% are in the extreme category with outstanding blocks from Greenland through Iceland to Scandinavia.

The control run is of interest because it is quite similar to the op up until D10 - afterwards, it maintains some Atlantic influence but the massive Arctic High starts to spread towards Greenland and eventually Iceland as we move towards D15, and becomes so influential that lows start spinning back from east to west between Norway and Iceland.

To sum up, the EC ensemble trend of recent days continues, but it isn't unanimous on the high latitude blocking just yet.

To just respond to @SLEETY above, yes of course the accuracy becomes less as you go further out, and I am not going to all bet my money on the trends I currently see. But given that this is a weather enthusiasts forum, isn't it interesting to see how the story of the models unfolds??

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
21 minutes ago, DJ RY said:

Wow some incredibly mild overnight lows here on the coast of South Wales tonight 12-15C (that's 10C or so warmer than last night). Safe to say: A.We'll soon be back out of nature's freezer

B. Off goes the heating as well as the thick duvet again for me tonight lol 

image.png

Yes, a very brief period of mild as the active front moves through tonight, taking the mild air east and cold air following on behind. Temperatures should drop sharply behind the front leaving the west in a cold Pm airmass and afternoon temps nearer 7-9C.

• Like 1

Posted

The Gfs  ensembles  show very much a cooling trend as we near the end of the run.  Quite a few of them go for blocking in some shape or form  and a few similiar to the OPP  bring in a easterly.     Going of this run  a very different feel from past Novembers.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

The fine mesh model we use for snow prediction amounts for our location was 27cm for the 12 hour period to 9am this morning. This measurement taken outside the apartment was taken at I hour ago. Just amazing prediction within a forecast confine of 2 km sq. The measurement if you cannot see it is , guess what ..27cm!!

C

23270198_1709017182444215_7726625196124241243_o.jpg

23231463_10155928127053628_4463836811313053683_n.jpg

Brilliant accuracy - Rubbing it in level - High :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

It up to you if you want to believe a computer program will be able to accurately predict the weather seasons in advance.

And you think soon the ec46 will achieve this:gathering:

Look how much the models struggle after 5 days .Their accuaracy drops off a cliff.

How many times do you see charts in fl verify .Todays gfs06  shows  easterly winds with High pressure over Greenland .In the next run it will change again .It always does.

I think he is talking about the future of the EC46. Like 5, 10, 20, 30 years from now. Of course the EC46 will improve.

Back in the 60s and 70s, they could only imagine how far we have come with weather prediction. They probably couldn't predict much, beyond what the sky, clouds and wind told them. But now we can accurately forecast out to 7 days. I think it's pretty incredible. Humanity will obviously work out the puzzle of sub-seasonal forecasting. There's already work to improve it. EC46 is getting improved all the time, and NOAA and it's sister agencies just launched SubX, a sub seasonal forecasting system, that is assessing the work of 6 different models. 

• Like 1

Posted

Back in the 60s and 70s, they could only imagine how far we have come with weather prediction. They probably couldn't predict much, beyond what the sky, clouds and wind told them. But now we can accurately forecast out to 7 days. I think it's pretty incredible. Humanity will obviously work out the puzzle of sub-seasonal forecasting. There's already work to improve it. EC46 is getting improved all the time, and NOAA and it's sister agencies just launched SubX, a sub seasonal forecasting system, that is assessing the work of 6 different models. 

In the 60's there were no operational weather computers. By the 70's these were beginning to be used by oursleves, the USA and a few other countries. The degree of complexity was huge to even get the original 3 level Met Office model. It is, even to one involved with this change, to read now of the enormous number of levels, data input etc that is now available. Of course the increase in accuracy is slowing down but there is likely to be a very very slow improvement in the 'operational' type, the 1-10 day forecast period I mean. Possibly a faster increase in the 1 month upwards over the next 10 years. Just how far our atmosphere can be solved is giving a lot of debate in meteorological circles. As good a place to read about this is within the met office web site. Not sure just where you will find it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It looks like next weekend will be a re-run of the one just gone with another burst of polar air from the north west.They all look similar- this is the latest run-GFS06z

gfsnh-0-120.png?6gfsnh-1-120.png?6

Keeping things quite seasonal with more frosts and some snow over the higher levels.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

The fine mesh model we use for snow prediction amounts for our location was 27cm for the 12 hour period to 9am this morning. This measurement taken outside the apartment was taken at I hour ago. Just amazing prediction within a forecast confine of 2 km sq. The measurement if you cannot see it is , guess what ..27cm!!

C

23270198_1709017182444215_7726625196124241243_o.jpg

23231463_10155928127053628_4463836811313053683_n.jpg

Jealous much Carinthian

https://goo.gl/images/AH1Prq

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

In the 60's there were no operational weather computers. By the 70's these were beginning to be used by oursleves, the USA and a few other countries. The degree of complexity was huge to even get the original 3 level Met Office model. It is, even to one involved with this change, to read now of the enormous number of levels, data input etc that is now available. Of course the increase in accuracy is slowing down but there is likely to be a very very slow improvement in the 'operational' type, the 1-10 day forecast period I mean. Possibly a faster increase in the 1 month upwards over the next 10 years. Just how far our atmosphere can be solved is giving a lot of debate in meteorological circles. As good a place to read about this is within the met office web site. Not sure just where you will find it.

John when I first joined the office I worked as gopher at Dunstable where they had just installed the new state of the art Ferranti Mercury computer. It was 1965 when the office went operational with their next generation of computers.

Caption: Met Office Mercury computer equipment, in the Central Forecasting Office. The Met Office, the UK's national weather monitoring and forecasting service, began to use computers in the late 1950s and early 1960s. This Ferranti Mercury was the first advanced computer owned by the Met Office, who purchased it in 1959, shortly before the move in 1961 from Dunstable to new headquarters in Bracknell. It used paper tape and valve electronics, and was capable of many thousands of calculations a second.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/435870/view

A link to the obituary of Fed Bushby which is very much pertinent to the evolution of numerical forecasting in the METO

http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/acl/associates/users/bushby.htm

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Carinthian, cannot actually tell you how jealous i am of your picture!

if I could get that just once this Winter... I'd be a happy man

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

John when I first joined the office I worked as gopher at Dunstable where they had just installed the new state of the art Ferranti Mercury computer. It was 1965 when the office went operational with their next generation of computers.

Caption: Met Office Mercury computer equipment, in the Central Forecasting Office. The Met Office, the UK's national weather monitoring and forecasting service, began to use computers in the late 1950s and early 1960s. This Ferranti Mercury was the first advanced computer owned by the Met Office, who purchased it in 1959, shortly before the move in 1961 from Dunstable to new headquarters in Bracknell. It used paper tape and valve electronics, and was capable of many thousands of calculations a second.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/435870/view

A link to the obituary of Fed Bushby which is very much pertinent to the evolution of numerical forecasting in the METO

http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/acl/associates/users/bushby.htm

Yes I knew this but it was not used in operational forecasting, sometimes early 70's I 'think' the first operational runs were made. Fred, yep got to know him quite weel, bark worse than bite comes to mind.

sorry folks bit of chit chat from 2 old met men!

delete if you wish team.

Must go and read your links k

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Newly updated AO forecast has it plummeting like a stone overwhelming signal. 

B58DFDBD-E6C3-409E-86AD-4E6DCB5D253A.thumb.jpeg.fc48934ccefa64c0f39632f61979cd0b.jpeg

Yowser. Haven't seen a signal like that in November since 2010!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Our Greenland trough could be cut off in week 2 as some ens members indicate a build of pressure towards NW Europe from the the Azores high.Coupled with those +ve hts to the ne then a squeeze could be on.

I think these currently are the 2 options.

We could see a High close by with dry conditions,light winds,chilly with night frosts or the Greenland trough remains intact as it extends se into Europe with further feeds of polar air from the nw.as we are seeing now.

A look at the gefs from the 06z day 10-see the options here. 

viewimage.png

Whichever way it goes things continue to look more seasonal with the PV under developed at this stage and a consequential weaker Atlantic jet.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The gfs at 192hrs  is like water off a ducks back:rofl:

gfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.b45b45c14fd15b105f02eedc35275726.png

seriously though,the 12z is more amplified than it's counterpart 06z with heights going up towards Svalbald,will that trough to the NW in future runs disrupt against this block and head SE.

it's thinking about it:)

gfsnh-0-234.thumb.png.8f70fcd7f0e78b324a7315bb44f347f4.png

and i can see another holy grail of a run in FL

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

(Still in cheeky ramp mode)

Winter is coming.

gfsnh-0-276.png?12

• Like 2