cfsnh-3-3-2018.png?00cfsnh-3-4-2018.png?00

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The latest from gfs,i sure hope this doesn't come off,poor s Ireland:help::(

81-515UK.GIF?17-18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
32 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

The cfs kept on showing this the other week,was the cfs onto something:shok:

i have not checked this model in a while,going to check it now:D

A good mean for dec though:D

cfsnh-1-12-2017.png?00

Anomaly I think you mean, the mean not so good, what you have to remember is over Greenland the default pattern tends to be below average pressure / heights (unfortunately) so you need really strong +ve anomalies and low ones to either the south or east of the UK.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Anomaly I think you mean, the mean not so good, what you have to remember is over Greenland the default pattern tends to be below average pressure / heights (unfortunately) so you need really strong +ve anomalies and low ones to either the south or east of the UK.

Yeh,i posted the temp anomaly instead of the pressure anomaly,made another post^

any,this is the cfs so lets not get too hung over,i mean up:D

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

The latest gfs starting to push height's into Greenland compared to its 12z

gfsnh-0-234.png?18gfsnh-0-240.png?12

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM control run once again throws up a massive N Atlantic block to start November

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017101712_360.

And this for the 6-10 dayer from ECM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMXLCZnX0AAufWS.jpg

i have just posted this in the model tweets thread but have posted a model ,so relevant here too

• Like 5

Posted

Also,the MJO working though to phase 8 and quiet amplified too,i seem to recall that this is a good thing,but point me out if i am wrong.

DMWeRjPXUAA9ppn.thumb.jpg.aaf5b35dd0fde17a56796ee2536751b4.jpg

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.
2 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Also,the MJO working though to phase 8 and quiet amplified too,i seem to recall that this is a good thing,but point me out if i am wrong.

DMWeRjPXUAA9ppn.thumb.jpg.aaf5b35dd0fde17a56796ee2536751b4.jpg

Depends what you want. Phase 6 + 10 days correlates with a -NAO. The current GFS forecast for the NAO is a decreasing of +NAO to neutral conditions. Based on the MJO forecast, there is an increased chance of a -NAO in the first days of November.

CFS seems to agrees with that. Late October and Early November look to feature a -NAO, according to the 4 member CFS ensemble. I'd personally agree with that forecast, based on the connection with the MJO analogs.

IMG_2484.thumb.PNG.f906eafb5b6a7c1666b560b293ff8298.PNG

Posted

Today mainly  cloudy with sunny intervals in N. Ireland, Scotland and N. England (maybe some slight rain around in places) but the SW, south are currently cloudy with rain which will move north east during the day effecting the Midlands and later further north. Tomorrow starting dry but mainly cloudy before the next low and fronts approach from the south west during the day bringing rain and perhaps strong winds to the south.

PPVA89.thumb.gif.3da9d3192d0ca8ab024a43efce35794b.gifPPVE89.thumb.gif.3d8e71e9548beaa73db3ce3e2d9c3f3e.gifPPVI89.thumb.gif.5aa45ed009fae50146c265d332804c12.gif

The aforementioned low and fronts quickly clear overnight Thursday/Friday resulting in a rather benign day on Friday, maybe some showers in Scotland, before the next intense Atlantic low arrives just west of southern Ireland 961mb bu 00 Saturday with the fronts impacting the western half of the UK. It then tracks north east to be in the Edinburgh area 976mb by 1800. Some quite strong winds in the southern quadrant, maybe gusting 50+kts in Wales and the south west.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_13.thumb.png.df73118fc29d45e399c300d81aae4855.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur2_16.thumb.png.779402169a1b83e3687f418dee5e22b3.png

The low moves quickly away east and loses it's identity leaving transient ridging in it's wake before on Monday a very deep Atlantic depression is slow moving and filling and it's associated fronts are straddled across the UK as the ridge is depressed. These basically fizzle out against the high pressure that holds sway to the south east so on Tuesday pretty much a NW/SE split albeit the temps are not too bad, particularly in most of England that is in a light southerly

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_23.thumb.png.c791adf9bfe07dc6d0a72e774d2666c2.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_27.thumb.png.f8c81ac360009c98c5b7a35996b45d39.png

We are now getting into the time frame where the aforementioned amplification is indicated and how this is handled by the models will be interesting. Essentially with high pressure surging in the western Atlantic and over Scandinavia and the upper trough in the middle in close proximity to the UK, a large surface area of low pressure will be almost stationary adjacent to the UK, Precisely how this pans out is probably dependent on the precise trough/ridge orientation (will the trough deconstruct and create another WAA surge? :shok:) and something the det runs will need to get their teeth into to sort the details.but certainly best left for now

gfs_z500a_nh_35.thumb.png.5c3186c3f6a403333390a9f764034b95.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_35.thumb.png.bee25511f66b691ec74e92a2ad0d13e8.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The ecm is tracking the Saturday low a little further south than the gfs and at 1800 has it in the Humber area 984mb. The strongest winds remain in the SW approaches, south Wales. the south coast and the Channel of 50+kts.

• Like 2

Posted

Cheers Knocker

ECMOPEU00_144_1.png

Ecm going for a Scandy high @144.

Would be nice to see the Atlantic trough split thereafter with energy going south..i would love to see a block over scandy to usher in november, cant beat a cold,dry,foggy/frosty November day to see mother nature in all her glory as winter approaches.

At 168 southern UK is under the influence of high pressure so hopefully some cold nights to come, of interest is the amount of warm air being pushed all the way to Greenland and the push south of cold air into NW Russia.

ECMOPEU00_168_2.png

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted

Lovely ecm run!!

MAJOR cool down for early Nov across much of central and east  Europe as cold air spills out of the Arctic and the warm air continues to push into Greenland.

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Much quieter ECM run - should be some chilly nights around if it verifies. I think a fair few people would take this after the amount of deep lows, wind and rain we have had in places recently!

Posted

The 3 anomaly charts I use show this

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

All 3 fairly similar and the NOAA 8-14 keeps the cut off upper low.

Mind you they have not often been that similar over the past few weeks, yes at times, not at others. This is not unusual at this time of the year. The major change over from summer to winter is often not easily managed by them. Of course we have also had a pretty active Tropical Storm/Hurricane season which the 500 mb anomalies also have great difficulty with, partly due to them being 'mean' charts.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECM preferable out of those anomalies - GFS has the trough further east and is more involved in our weather. Broadly similar in their agreement on the global pattern though - big western US ridge, big eastern US trough, western Atlantic ridge, eastern Atlantic trough, and a strong scandi ridge.

Posted

The ECM may be showing a cooldown in Eastern Europe for next week but the UK is still very much in the influence of the much warmer air from Iberia right up to the end of the run.

In fact the cold air never really gets west of Poland or the Czech Republic on this run. Surprised some are suggesting cool nights- in such a warm air mass and with a fair breeze I can't imagine there will be anything notable at night time.

ECMOPEU00_192_2.png

This looks like a very good chart for some late warmth in fact- the source of the air is from the Med, and with France and Spain still very warm for the time of year we could well benefit.

The trend for recent Octobers is for late warm spells rather than cold. We had similar charts last year that brought warmth towards the end of the month and very little in the way of cold nights.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 00z gradually turns really pleasant next week away from the far west / northwest with strong height rises into scandi which forms a block against the atlantic with the uk bathed in a very mild / rather warm SSEly / SEly airflow, especially further s / se...the pleasant benign face of autumn hopefully returning during late october.:) 

144_mslp500.png

168_mslp500.png

192_mslp500.png

192_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp500.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp500.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_thick.png

Edited by Frosty.

Hi guys... can I ask where you get these models from? I've been following your threads for a couple of years, trying to learn about models etc. I'd like to try and start reading them myself and seeing what I have learnt from you all.....then looking here to see if I've got it right or completely wrong lol. Many thanks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

'Another' run showing a v-blocky end oct-begining-nov.

Wave1 activity?,

This could be a winter where we (uk) sit in correct placement of NW-NE waa/blocking!!!

One to watch over coming weeks.

gfsnh-0-204.png

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Charmayne said:

Hi guys... can I ask where you get these models from? I've been following your threads for a couple of years, trying to learn about models etc. I'd like to try and start reading them myself and seeing what I have learnt from you all.....then looking here to see if I've got it right or completely wrong lol. Many thanks. 

Hello

A big welcome to Net Wx. We have a section that may help you if you go to 

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/24-learning-about-weather-and-meteorology/

You should find something in there to give help understanding charts. Do the simple bits first then move on to things more complicated.

Also don't be afraid to ask about something you read either on the forum or in the Guides. You will always find someone to get back to you. If you prefer you can always send a pm to someone. (you need to have, not sure the number, perhaps 10 posts before this can happen)

good luck

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Charmayne said:

Hi Charmayne

I think most on here use meteociel charts

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/

But this new site in the States has loads of charts and other info for Europe as well as globally which you can browse.

https://weather.us/

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, knocker said:

Hi Charmayne

I think most on here use meteociel charts

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/

But this new site in the States has loads of charts and other info for Europe as well as globally

https://weather.us/

There are charts using GFS (the American Global Forecasting system) from Net Weather as well, see the list on the home page.

• Like 1