Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
weirpig

Qualifications

What qualifications did you leave school with.  And have they been a benefit to your live after school  or an burden ?.

Ill start.  I left school  with nothing, Nada, Zilch.  my highest grade was an E in Geography.   the grades i got  were certainly of a benefit  to me  as it made me  strife for better in later life.  Redoing GCSEs Then A level and so on     You?.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

What qualifications did you leave school with.  And have they been a benefit to your live after school  or an burden ?.

Ill start.  I left school  with nothing, Nada, Zilch.  my highest grade was an E in Geography.   the grades i got  were certainly of a benefit  to me  as it made me  strife for better in later life.  Redoing GCSEs Then A level and so on     You?.

What a great idea for a thread, WP!:good:

I left school with a measly 3 'O' Levels - Maths, English Language and Physics, and about 5 CSEs...I even failed geography at CSE!:shok:

In later life, however, I've got a Diploma and a BSc in Natural Sciences, from the Open University. So, good luck with your studies, mate - if I can do it, so can you. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't!:good:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

What a great idea for a thread, WP!:good:

I left school with a measly 3 'O' Levels - Maths, English Language and Physics, and about 5 CSEs...I even failed geography at CSE!:shok:

In later life, however, I've got a Diploma and a BSc in Natural Sciences, from the Open University. So, good luck with your studies, mate - if I can do it, so can you. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't!:good:

Ive gone as far as i want  to now   Pete.   After my Alevels   (which i did part time whilst working on a building site)  I  then did my Tax exams  resulting in me passing My CTA exams 2 years ago.    for me its shows  that even if you do badly at school  there still is time to change things.    Up and till i was 12 (primary School)  i was Taught from  the childrens home were i lived.  So probably wasnt the best start to ones Academic knowledge.

• Like 1

A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, which are essential to do a met degree! But yeah, qualifications certainly aren't the be all and end all, depends on what you want to do in life. Fair play weirpig for getting GCSEs and A Levels in later life, can't have been easy.

i did cse, because i was messing about with a gurly instead of revising for my exams that determined whether i did o levels or cse...lol...

grade a in art and technical drawing

grade b in biology and physics

grade c in maths, english, geography, and.... erm...?... forgot!

went on to do city in guilds in horticulture then nch, also picked up a couple of useless o levels - rural biology and botany , i sau useless because they have been of no use to me whatsoever, but i blagged my way through them because of the nch course and my own interest in wildlife.

but, yes, i would say the education i got off those cse's was good basic knowledge some aspects have been useful, even if it was only the ability to answer general knowledge questions lol

• Like 1

I've got a degree in naval architecture,means sod all when you buy and sell heavy plant equipment  :pardon:

11 GCSE's and an A level in Business studies.

hated college. 

Did first aid training and basic food hygiene when i worked.

Edited by Dami

got a GCSE in home economics and can now make cheese on toast

26 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

got a GCSE in home economics and can now make cheese on toast

I like cheese on toast. So you are well qualified

On 01/09/2017 at 10:18, Ed Stone said:

In later life, however, I've got a Diploma and a BSc in Natural Sciences, from the Open University

Snap! 

Completed mine in 2009 I think 

Left school with 5 old style 0 levels, Human Biology, Geography, English Language and Literature and Domestic Science  and 3 CSE's in Biology, History and Maths (easily my worst subject).   At 39 I embarked on a degree at Wolverhampton University as a part time student while working full time.  It was a tough few years to be honest as my employers only allowed me time off to attend lectures if I made the hours up I had lost.....that sort of fired me up and made me more determined to succeed.   I started off doing a complementary therapies degree but took so much stick from traditional doctors about it being "wacky" I changed courses and completed a degree in Human Biology and Health Sciences.  Have to admit some of the biomedical parts were tough as my maths is not brilliant and I did not have basic knowledge of chemistry having attended an all girls church school that favoured teaching domestic science, divinity and needlework over science :nonono:I did managed a 2:1 and although it fried my brain completely I did enjoy doing it and I have no doubt it paid off enormously as it opened the door to jobs with higher grades in the years after.  Would always support anyone undertaking further education.  

i did all right at school..could have done better but was essentially lazy..i preferred playing football to sitting in a class room..i did get 3 A levels at college (not sure how) in History, Geography & Economics and was due to go to Reading University to be a teacher..2 weeks before going i decided there was no money in teaching and took a year out..i went to polytechnic at 19 to do vocational qualifications in Building..where i got a HND in Building studies a Bsc in Construction management and my CIOB professional qualifications and the rest is History as they say.

Qualifications for me are just a foot in the door after that the rest is up to you...having qualifications entitle you to nothing..hard work does.

i got an ungraded in modular technology because I handed in a block of wood i found on the floor as my tech project which i worked on it for two years.:oops: I told the teacher it was the base for an alarm system:rofl:

1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

i got an ungraded in modular technology because I handed in a block of wood i found on the floor as my tech project which i worked on it for two years.:oops: I told the teacher it was the base for an alarm system:rofl:

I got an ungraded in geography - my decision to answer the questions on Australia, rather than those on Europe and the USA (that I was meant to have studied for 3 years!) was an 'incomplete success'...And you cannae pass a geography CSE by only knowing all the answers to the weather section!:wallbash::fool:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

I got an ungraded in geography - my decision to answer the questions on Australia, rather than those on Europe and the USA (that I was meant to have studied for 3 years!) was an 'incomplete success'...And you cannae pass a geography CSE by only knowing all the answers to the weather section!:wallbash::fool:

Ungraded in Geography!!  Thicko!:rofl: