Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Frost watch season 17/18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
57 minutes ago, Nick L said:

This thread is likely to remain dormant for some time I fear! Getting minima below the teens is a struggle at the moment and will continue to be for the next week across much of southern Britain. I just want some chilly weather, that's all!

Yes, I was seeing lower minimums at the end of August. The 16th was the warmest average day here since August end also. 

Getting a sneaky suspicion this could be quite a mild and wet winter coming up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
16 hours ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Yes, I was seeing lower minimums at the end of August. The 16th was the warmest average day here since August end also. 

Getting a sneaky suspicion this could be quite a mild and wet winter coming up!

You must be wrong.... The Express tells us it's going to cold and snowy - and as we all know - The Express are ALWAYS correct when it comes to the over-the-top, not-at-all-disingenuous scary weather related headlines and stories......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

We managed 0.6C woohoo! ❄

temp_compare.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

5 degrees here last night but just 3 miles up on the hills around here it will have been down to 2 degrees and a groundfrost.,quite a change from what we have been having .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Might have to scrape the car on the way home on Monday morning :cold:

• Thanks 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Might have to scrape the car on the way home on Monday morning :cold:

On the way home? Leaning out the window scraping as you drive?

• Like 2

Posted

We are currently 4.4c - coldest temperature here this autumn. Perhaps a ground frost by morning though temperature has been steady for a little while so perhaps no further fall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 hours ago, Paul said:

On the way home? Leaning out the window scraping as you drive?

After effectively working a 7 day week, I wouldn't rule it out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

4.6C yesterday morning which was our lowest of the autumn so far. It's currently 8.8C and windy.

Frost on Monday morning possible.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

It's feeling quite chilly here tonight for the first time since March. figures from Wunderground are showing 5.4c locally, although It'll still be a good few weeks still until I get a frost here I recon!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
7 hours ago, SteveyKemp58 said:

It's feeling quite chilly here tonight for the first time since March. figures from Wunderground are showing 5.4c locally, although It'll still be a good few weeks still until I get a frost here I recon!

Steve..

I see this is your first post..

Welcome ......

I recorded a ground frost last night (min 2.4C), so we are (slowly) getting there.

Do you know your minimum?

MIA

Posted

Well we ended up getting down to 3.5c here - probably a degree short of a ground frost. Think we could be close to an air frost on Sunday night. 

Of more importance though - yesterday was the first day to average below 10c here this autumn.

Posted

Sadly we only got down to 5.7c here in Meopham North Kent, whilst many other parts of Kent down to -1 and 0c,

Here are minimums from a selection of Met Office and Amateur stations I monitor, this morning:

image.thumb.png.9b49022d310e5d0852f1e598a414644e.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

It’s probable I will receive my first frost tonight with an off-shore wind and clear skies. Should definitely beet 6.5°C for the autumn record so far at any rate. 

Posted

A widespread air frost in rural central and western parts looking probable overnight. The first of the season for many.

I suspect somewhere like Shap will be the coldest spot in England, about -3 degrees maybe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Down to 4 degrees here ,already , the coldest this season has produced so far .

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

3c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Already the coldest night of the autumn so far. 6.0°C, grass temp 3.2°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

1.4C here, already equalling the coldest night so far this Autumn so certainly going to be a chilly one in the morning if skies remain clear for long enough. Sub zero easily achievable I reckon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

The temperature has fallen to 1C at my home in the North Pennines. This is at 9.30 pm- and the delightful (:angry:!) Strato-cumulus has just formed, as I strongly suspected it might!  I think that means temperatures will not be falling and will probably increase during the night! Tonight was the last chance for an air -frost in October (tomorrow winds will turn to westerly and a warm front will bring milder air and cloud-cover for tomorrow night). 

So, it looks as this will make it another of those disgusting Octobers with no air-frost at all: Unless the skies miraculously clear and then stay clear whilst I sleep, that is! 

Wind veers to north or north-west with high-pressure moving in. In Octobers gone by you would be pretty much guaranteed clear night sky and frost where I live. These years, a northerly in October is almost unknown yet when it happens and high-pressure moves in- the air is more moist and less cold because of less Arctic ice at this time of year than there once was, low cloud has a great tendency to form over hills ( and other exposed locations) which nips any promising frost (even if forecast) in the bud!

I hate the way our climate has changed in recent years: A couple more totally frostless Autumns and mild winters with little snow or frost AND I AM DEFINITELY EMIGRATING. I went on holiday with my brother to Churchill in central northern Canada in February and I had a wonderful time. I am considering either moving there permanently or to somewhere in Arctic Sweden (it would not be difficult for me to learn the language as I know a smattering of Norwegian and have listened to a couple of Swedish pop songs last year -and can almost make out what the songs are about!).

PS: I am aware this is a Frost- Observation Site (or comment on the lack of it) but seeing the last possibility of an air-frost this October being totally Fluffed-Up by low cloud has led to me needing to vent my frustration - and to touch on the subject of leaving the country (because cloud-cover so readily comes in to mess up the rare potential occasions when air-frost could occur

Ian Pennell 

Edited by iapennell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

Update, some good news from Nenthead in the North Pennines. 

The sky cleared out whilst I was venting my frustration at how the Strato-cumulus cloud was messing up the one decent chance of an air-frost in October.  The air-temperature has finally dropped to 0C!

My frustration has lifted!