Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Frost watch season 17/18

Posted

I've started this thread a little earlier than usual, given we are about to see a couple of very chilly nights for the time of year, with potential for grass frost tonight in sheltered parts i.e. a ground frost with mins of 1-3 degrees in frost prone spots, tomorrow night could indeed bring an air frost to sheltered northern parts as well - 0 degrees. Not highly unusual, but not something we tend to see until second half of September.

Please use this thread to record your first occasion of frost this upcoming season, ground and air. 

Here we tend to see out first ground frost last week of September, and air frost third week of October, in an average year. Earliest air frost in recent years was 23 Sept 2012 when we recorded a very cold -3 degrees. Not once in winter 2015/2016 did we see anything colder than -3 degrees!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Doesn't look like dropping any lower than 12°C during the next few days around here with the Westerly element to the wind. I think it'll be at least late Oct before I can report my first frost, or until we get a Scandi high.

Lowest last winter was -3.8°C, not too bad but nothing compared to the minimums I had in the 2009/11 period. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Can't imagine ground was too far off freezing last night after a low of 5.3c, maybe 2/3c. Very likely some places in North Yorkshire had a frost last looking at overnight lows, unfortunatley no proof though. 

We had our first ground frost in October last year which is fairly normal so still a while to go yet.

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted

Nice to hear some places already coming close to achieving a frost.

It will be a looong time till I come close to that in Manchester. Mind you I will be in the Pyrenees for 10 days this month so hopefully I will there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

What was the lowest min last night, did any highland spots record 0 degrees?

0.1c at Braemar, almost!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

been below freezing on Sunday 3rd September..still someway to go to beat my record of -42c recorded in 2011.

• Like 1

Posted

Good chance of an early widespread frost for some places if the ECM is correct.

Cold air accompanied by gentle northerly winds a nice recipe for low minimas away from windward coasts.

ECU1-168.GIFECU0-168.GIF

• Like 1

Posted

We have the cold air now, but there looks to be too much wind in the nights ahead to produce. Still many places will see a run of fairly low minima for mid Sept, nothing exceptional, but temps in the 3-6 degree range in countryside spots. Some sheltered western parts might scrape a grass frost by the weekend, when winds fall light, one to watch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Will be quite a few ground and air frosts here in the coming week.

Posted

Met office station at Tyndrum in scotland down to 0c this morning and met office confirmed first official air frost this autumn, i monitor over 50 or so frost hollows, in UK and also this morning Glendevon in scotland down to 0.7c and Llanllwni in carmarthenshire down to 0.4c, here in meopham, kent our first air frost usually November but hopefully we'll get one in october, coldest minimum this september 6.8c

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Coldest night since 11th May last night; went down to 8.2°C. Maybe down to single figures again tonight. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Coldest night since 11th May last night; went down to 8.2°C. Maybe down to single figures again tonight. 

Yes, colder temps further west tonight away from the NE breeze. We managed 5.7c this morning despite a slight breeze, however I'm keeping my eye on Tuesday morning which for my part of the world could see the coldest night of the Autumn and the risk of a ground frost in the usual frost hollows.

23 hours ago, MeophamWeather said:

Met office station at Tyndrum in scotland down to 0c this morning and met office confirmed first official air frost this autumn, i monitor over 50 or so frost hollows, in UK and also this morning Glendevon in scotland down to 0.7c and Llanllwni in carmarthenshire down to 0.4c, here in meopham, kent our first air frost usually November but hopefully we'll get one in october, coldest minimum this september 6.8c

Hi 

welcome to the forum - are you meopham weather you tube channel- as i was browsing them !

Im just up the road in new ash Green-

@MeophamWeather

steve

Posted

Yes Tyndrum went below 0 degrees, so we have had our first official air frost of the new season. Tonight looks cold in sheltered glens of Scotland so another air frost might occur somewhere. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Hi 

welcome to the forum - are you meopham weather you tube channel- as i was browsing them !

Im just up the road in new ash Green-

@MeophamWeather

steve

Thanks - Yes thats me 

www.meophamweather.co.uk

Edited by MeophamWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Dalwhinnie, Braemar and Aboyne all down to 3 / 4'C already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Down to 2.1°c this morning, first ground frost of the season. Car needed a bit of defrosting!

Posted

Down to 6.8°C this morning, very very respectable at this time of year here, don't usually get that low untill mid October. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Dropped to a nice chilly 3.2c here in the early hours 

• Like 1

Posted

A min of 4.4c here this morning so not far off a ground frost.

Coldest area across North Yorkshire this morning was the Dales with many valley spots down at 1c overnight and lots of reports on my twitter page from people who had to de ice their car this morning.

Great start to the Autumn and Friday morning is looking a tad chilly too.

• Like 1

Posted

It got colder than expected last night, not sure how low, but it was a chilly 6 degrees at 8.30, so I suspect it probably got down to about 3 degrees. Some spots got down to 1 and 2 degrees - will have to check the stats.

There was a wonderful blanket of fog over Lake Windermere as well - autumn well and truly here now.

• Like 2