Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

pretty sure ec is taking Irma to a cat 5 here. 

A scary run. 

Also latest official estimates are 100kts now and a cat 3 major already. 

So tropical storm to major in 24 hrs again. 

IMG_1093.PNG

Posted
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

This evening's ecm

59a858f96407c_p3.thumb.JPG.7468133f60bc51c9271ea6f795d84158.JPG

A slight adjustment north on the 0z track and heading to the Golf like a powerful missile!

The southern states must be watching behind the sofa.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I'm just hoping if it does go through that gap, and into the gulf of mexico, it doesn't do the same thing as harvey, as I'm sure SE Texas needs some time now to recover.

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I'm just hoping if it does go through that gap, and into the gulf of mexico, it doesn't do the same thing as harvey, as I'm sure SE Texas needs some time now to recover.

I expect the death toll from Harvey will rise pretty quick over the next few days :( this would be last thing they wanna see after Harvey

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The upper flow would cause a turn into the Panhandle most likely on the Euro. 

NHC have declared Irma a Category 3 hurricane. 

By day 5 the NHC notes warming seas and brings Irma to 140mph. 

Posted

Well nhc have just confirmed she is a cat 3 major hurricane. So a tropical storm to major in 24 hrs. 

Also almost unbelievably they think  it's going through an erc already with the eye bearly 12 hrs old 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Quite unusual for a major hurricane to form so far east  over the tropical Atlantic too.

Edited by Nick F

Posted
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

The 18z takes Irma somewhere between New York and Boston.

Yeah, it heads for the weakness around the Outer Banks but the trough captures it just in time to shunt it due north into New Jersey. 

It's an indicator of just what we have to deal with for track. If the flow over the US is flatter and/or slower then the system will struggle to see a weakness and you get a Euro solution. If the flow is more amplified then the system may see the weakness but your in a situation where the base of the trough has to be off the coast otherwise the system gets picked up too late and smashes somewhere north (and a ~930mb hurricane that starts getting barcloically forced will be a monster of an extra-tropical system). 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

I checked Accuweather this morning and they showed Irma as a strong tropical storm. I came on not that long ago to check if it was a hurricane yet and it's already a category 3!! That's some explosive development... Quite amazing but scary at the same time.

Models going for another US hit, and if it's already a major storm this far out in the Atlantic then God help whoever is in her path. If conditions are right there's the chance for 170mph+ gusts... Don't want to think of the damage that would cause in the poorer Caribbean countries. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/catl/h5-loop-rb.html

I cannot tell if it's actually undergoing eyewall replacement or not? Seemed like it weakened slightly so maybe it has. The eye is so small it's tricky to see! NHC were expecting it to take place to be fair.

Posted

It may just have been an inner core issue, Harvey had conentric eyewalls a few times but rarely had an actual replacement. 

Very nice core and eyewall at the moment..

rbtop0-lalo.gif

Euro ensembles are mostly north of the operational but solid in their support for landfall (most into South Carolina).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
9 hours ago, Iceberg said:

pretty sure ec is taking Irma to a cat 5 here. 

A scary run. 

Also latest official estimates are 100kts now and a cat 3 major already. 

So tropical storm to major in 24 hrs again. 

IMG_1093.PNG

Notice she's got a little daughter marching in behind her! 

Posted

Ec very similar to the previous run until around t144. After that it moves significantly to the trough position if the gfs. The high and trough to the north on the pictures below show the difference. 

No chance of a gom entry or Cuba if the trough verifies. But probably a solid east coast hit. Low pressure from the ec as well down to 920mb

IMG_1099.PNG

IMG_1100.PNG

Posted

Probably a hit near Maine ect.. on the Euro. Knockers charts show the path out to proper sea is closed. 

GFS is basically Issabel or Hugo 2.0. 

Posted

I suppose the overnight models are good news for the poor Caribbean countries as Irma is shown to have a more northerly track. The eastern USA coast is still at risk and the GFS in particular looks catastrophic. I'd say it is not so clear where Irma will end up on the ECM. She could even stay in the ocean.

Posted

Morning all :)

For completeness, here's GEM 00Z OP at T+240:

gemna-0-240.png?00

The Gulf of Mexico option is back on the table here with landfalls in Bahama and Florida first.

The NHC guidance now suggests a turn back to the WNW at the weekend which will spare Martinique and probably Puerto Rico from direct hits but whether the Bahamas and Florida will be so fortunate is impossible to say at this time.