Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

I do wonder why people book to go to Caribbean in hurricane season ! i was caught in Wilma i Cancun in 2005 ad it was really awful - cancel and re book for January when the weather is perfect 

Because its cheaper lol.

I'd certainly only book during Hurricane season, I'd take the risk, if it pays off I've saved a few bob. If it doesn't then I get to experience a hurricane ticking something off of the bucket list, and therefore killing two birds with one stone. 

Whether I make it out of the Caribbean alive in another matter. 

Posted
24 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

If it doesn't [pay off] then I get to experience a hurricane ticking something off of the bucket list, and therefore killing two birds with one stone. 

Whether I make it out of the Caribbean alive in another matter. 

So it does pay off then...:blink2:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I've been in hurricane season, not just because it is cheaper but because I would be up for being caught up in a hurricane :)

• Like 4

Posted
10 hours ago, staplehurst said:

Data from Naples - looks like pressure fell to 939mb as the eye moved through around 2100 GMT. Winds dropped to 6mph having been sustained 50mph just over 30mins beforehand. 

Naples.png

I thought there was an official gust of 143 mph in Naples?

Posted
42 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I thought there was an official gust of 143 mph in Naples?

Probably a different station - I think it was to the northeast of Naples 

i saw a quote from someone in authority - 'we expected a Big Mac and we got a kids cheeseburger' 

that Saturday track across the n coast of Cuba saved w Florida big time 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-41227127/irma-looters-caught-on-camera-in-miami

You can understand why some people stay and ride out hurricanes .

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-41227127/irma-looters-caught-on-camera-in-miami

You can understand why some people stay and ride out hurricanes .

And it will be moreso next time. I can imagine Floridians watching it unfold on TV last night wondering what the fuss was.

You can be sure they really will get the 150+mph hit when that happens.

If that Naples chart was right for wind (did look about right on TV), then we've seen that here in the UK plenty of times.

Strange!

Only videos that looked really bad in the US were from the Keys.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The more the merrier.
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

And it will be moreso next time. I can imagine Floridians watching it unfold on TV last night wondering what the fuss was.

If anything, the message to take away from this is just how narrow an escape they had.

When you look at the overall path of Irma, the difference between the potential cat5 landfall on Miami, and what actually happened, could boil down to a 50 mile diversion towards the coast of Cuba.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

Pics of damage coming out of the Keys now. Thankful that a number of storm chasers are ok

https://twitter.com/MikeTheiss/status/907281523723948032?s=09

I'm  hoping all the wildlife is ok as well as people. 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Cog said:

If anything, the message to take away from this is just how narrow an escape they had.

When you look at the overall path of Irma, the difference between the potential cat5 landfall on Miami, and what actually happened, could boil down to a 50 mile diversion towards the coast of Cuba.

That is very true indeed. But I doubt your average American will appreciate. I just think the US felt they had to keep up the hype because they'd evacuated so many people, and that's what will cause the problem next time. Kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. Right to evacuate, won't be appreciated.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

What can i say? Thanks to CNN , the storm chasers and Netweather, its been a fascinating and emotional few weeks (harvey first). Now its kind of like ive just walked out the cinema and........   (dont get me wrong though, loss of life and livelihood  still foremost  in my mind pf course)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
1 minute ago, snowsummer said:

What can i say? Thanks to CNN , the storm chasers and Netweather, its been a fascinating and emotional few weeks (harvey first). Now its kind of like ive just walked out the cinema and........   (dont get me wrong though, loss of life and livelihood  still foremost  in my mind pf course)

Have to say I was gripped by CNN coverage it was brilliant just before the eye went over Naples and then eerie when the eye arrived . Was a joy to watch even with the American hyperbole . 

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, chiffer said:

I've been to the Dominican quite a few times in hurricane season, most of the time I don't even see a drop of rain and definitely never witnessed a hurricane myself. So much so that it doesn't even feel like your taking a chance, if one were to barrel through I wouldn't whinge that I hadn't been evacuated though, I'd just have a few beers and happily pay for anything I needed to get home.

im going to Florida on the 29th of sept and again I'd do the same, do as I'm told by the Florida government then enjoy what I could and come home. If I had to pay any extras for flights or evacuation hotels I would and wouldn't ask for a penny from the travel agent. I'd just be glad me and the wife are safe and well. People probably should get fully fledged trip insurance though, it's about £60 and covers everything.

Insurance is the way to go. I was in Miami and New Orleans less than a month ago and I only had to add a minor premium for tropical cyclone disruption, though I'd say the dates I went (15-20th August) were just early enough to escape the start of the peak season.

I live near Jacksonville, FL. We only had tropical-storm force winds in our area as far as I know, but it was still very loud and pretty damn scary. Yesterday, the winds picked up throughout the day as squall-lines moved through. However, the peak of the storm had to be between 2 and 3am last night. The biggest squall-line of them all came through then. The sound of the rain slamming into my window woke me up. It was COMPLETELY black, as no lights were on in the area. I'll be honest, it was terrifying. I was ready to dive out of my bed and into my closet, as there was a tornado watch.

The squall moved on at 3am-ish. By dawn this morning, most of the rain had gone, but it was still very windy. The wind gradually died off throughout today.

My area got it lightly compared to the rest of Florida. I can't imagine what it must have been like for areas further south than me and in the Caribbean. What a beast Irma was. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Even if you keep 100% eye's on the road,you cannot avoid this:vava:

• Like 1