Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

SSTs in Southern Florida waters are currently at 30'c - 31'c with 4000KJ of CAPE available. Just seen NICKF mention this also.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.878af40e782c143bf9ca26b284655c41.jpg

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

In all this pure devastation, fright, monumentus evacuations and preparations.. I see the politicians have started their point scoring and war of opinions.. like the response too slow in both preparation and relief etc.. and from Britain.. this is disgusting and cheap. If you knew so much and can so much better, you sort it. http://news.sky.com/story/live-hurricane-irma-hits-caribbean-islands-11022807.

Someone please slap them. Hard. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

In all this pure devastation, fright, monumentus evacuations and preparations.. I see the politicians have started their point scoring and war of opinions.. like the response too slow in both preparation and relief etc.. and from Britain.. this is disgusting and cheap. If you knew so much and can so much better, you sort it. http://news.sky.com/story/live-hurricane-irma-hits-caribbean-islands-11022807.

Someone please slap them. Hard. 

Actually can't agree with that. We all knew what was probably coming. The French Government acted accordingly, and the British Government didn't - it reacted instead. We could have had boots on the ground immediately and we didn't. We should have - protecting these places in times of natural disaster (both impending and in the aftermath) is part of our responsibility and part of the deal we made in their governance. Alas, it's a point that needs to be made, because our complacency in the matter is, and was not, OK.

• Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, crimsone said:

Actually can't agree with that. We all knew what was probably coming. The French Government acted accordingly, and the British Government didn't - it reacted instead. We could have had boots on the ground immediately and we didn't. We should have - protecting these places in times of natural disaster (both impending and in the aftermath) is part of our responsibility and part of the deal we made in their governance. Alas, it's a point that needs to be made, because our complacency in the matter is, and was not, OK.

International relief, isn't confined to each country doing one thing for their country.. so not just boots on the ground or ships sent. It is a collaborative approach with a strategy and combines a plethora of elements. French, English, Dutch USA will be working together. They would also have been deployed prior on other urgencies or priorities or excersises etc. Alas it isn't as plain cut as we think it should be. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

International relief, isn't confined to each country doing one thing for their country.. so not just boots on the ground or ships sent. It is a collaborative approach with a strategy and combines a plethora of elements. French, English, Dutch USA will be working together. They would also have been deployed prior on other urgencies or priorities or excersises etc. Alas it isn't as plain cut as we think it should be. 

This isn't international relief. There has been 2 British Overseas territories with over 50,000 people on them that have been flattened, and yet the British Government didn't respond for over a day after the first Island was hit. As Crimsone said the French sent troops to Saint Martin before the Hurricane hit, the Dutch had ships and planes waiting for the storm to pass. The UK had nothing prepared, despite having the most amount of people affected.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
22 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

That's a great link. Thanks Day 10 :D

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, cowdog said:

This isn't international relief. There has been 2 British Overseas territories with over 50,000 people on them that have been flattened, and yet the British Government didn't respond for over a day after the first Island was hit. As Crimsone said the French sent troops to Saint Martin before the Hurricane hit, the Dutch had ships and planes waiting for the storm to pass. The UK had nothing prepared, despite having the most amount of people affected.

Fair argument, and I won't say anymore on the matter. 

• Like 4

Posted
34 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Fair argument, and I won't say anymore on the matter. 

...  just heard though we have our navy and marines already at the Islands.. and RAF etc have supplies flying over.. good news for those affected. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Not often I've been able to pick out the concentric eyewall structure on standard-resolution infra-red but that's just what can be done at the moment. The old inner eyewall has been very stubborn but I think it's finally losing the battle. 

Also, the eye jogged north in the past hour, reducing the likely duration of direct interaction with Cuba. Every little bit more latitude helps Irma and Cuba... and really doesn't help Florida. Unless the unthinkable happens and Irma stays so far south that the trough doesn't lift it north properly... but the odds on that look pretty slim given that it's been pretty much dead-on the NHC track over the past day.

Edited by Singularity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

A royr of the Turks and cacos after Irma

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Mind blowing how big this thing is still (to me at least):

Edited by chillyblast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!
14 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Looks like a tropical disturbance way east in sat images,another on the way ?

You made me look and my unskilled eye counts a potential 3 more? starting at Conakry. (again unskilled eye remember, might be normal).

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, chillyblast said:

You made me look and my unskilled eye counts a potential 3 more? starting at Conakry. (again unskilled eye remember, might be normal).

me too (one only though to my unskilled eye) 

Posted

There's a twitter post that says that the water level off Miami Beach think it was has dropped... is that a possible phenomena relating to before the storm arrives? 

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Looks like a tropical disturbance way east in sat images,another on the way ?

5 minutes ago, chillyblast said:

We have the invest thread for this sort of thing - though it's understandable that so much attention is being focussed on Irma.

As it goes, there are disturbances emerging from Africa, where a tropical wave was expected by the morning.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

There's a twitter post that says that the water level off Miami Beach think it was has dropped... is that a possible phenomena relating to before the storm arrives? 

Tides gone out.

8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Quite possible as storm surge creates a bulge of water mass that's got to come from somewhere.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

I think Sometimes wind direction can push out water it happened in haiyan, but maybe could be a meteotsunami phenomenon caused by the atmospheric disturbance from storms there rare but can happen

Edited by JK1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Link to Animation of water vapour:

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SAT_NHEM/animweur.html

Bookmark, as there's plenty of other graphical info also available from this link.

Crazy sad times for all folk enduring Irma and more 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Link to Animation of water vapour:

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SAT_NHEM/animweur.html

Bookmark, as there's plenty of other graphical info also available from this link.

Crazy sad times for all folk enduring Irma and more 

I love that you can basically make out the hadley cell model in operation on that loop, right with the mid-latitude cell, even if the polar cell is somewhat obscured by static data. Nice little image.

Edited by crimsone