Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.
5 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

towards the end he spoke of how strong the wind felt and that the hurricane hadn't even started yet....you could see the realisation on his face of what was to come and it wasn't good :(:(

Yes I expect he must have heard the fate of Barbuda and St Martin, it's not looking good for T&C either. He did say they have a Cat 5 hurricane shelter on the island so I hope it holds out!

Posted

I'd being interested to see how long Astro Potente can keep his live feed up and running, how many hours until the eye is over the turks? 7? 

Looks bad enough as it is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.
1 minute ago, chiffer said:

I'd being interested to see how long Astro Potente can keep his live feed up and running, how many hours until the eye is over the turks? 7? 

Looks bad enough as it is!

Just heard on the BBC weather the eye is expected there around midnight our time.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Gfs 12z rolling out no budge here. 

IMG_1205.PNG

903mb would make it into the top ten most intense by central pressure ?

Posted

It would 

here are the last there gfs runs. 

Concentrate on Okeechobee, the big lake, and you can see that the winds increase on each run. The purple appears on the 12z just now. 

Gfs is Bringing the winds west into Florida on each run. IMG_1209.thumb.PNG.eebbda18c367260f920f5f74fb3de69a.PNG

IMG_1208.PNG

IMG_1207.PNG

Posted

The hurricane currently looking like a direct hit on Miami Dade county with a population of nearly three million. 

Its not difficult to say there will be massive property damage.

Loss of life will be determined by the amount of citizens too daft to leave or too poor to leave.

Posted

The 12z UKMO still brings Irma over Cuba and weakens her as a result.

I thought we were done with this scenario but UKMO is persistent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I think a wet suit & arm bands would be better than a coat, anyway I'm surprise Tomasz can get a flight ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
3 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I am surprised the BBC can afford to send a weatherman to Florida to do a forecast he can do from London. 

Perhaps we are just presuming he is doing the forecasting work, perhaps general reporting? Perhaps going to help at shelter etc?

Edited by MattTarrant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
7 minutes ago, Kawaii said:

Good God, it just gets worse.  How long will Irma keep up this level of destruction?  Am struggling to comprehend all the updates and the lack of her deterioration.

Posted
41 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

The hurricane currently looking like a direct hit on Miami Dade county with a population of nearly three million. 

Its not difficult to say there will be massive property damage.

Loss of life will be determined by the amount of citizens too daft to leave or too poor to leave.

Or those that are undocumented that fear arrest and deportation by Trumps police force aka ICE 

Ieven saw a quote from the Polk County Sherrif saying that all was welcome at the shelter and if you have a warrant for your arrest you'll be going straight to Jail 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

They seem adamant that Irma is going to weaken down to a cat 4. With waters touching nearly 32c, that is a very conservative shout in my opinion.. I hope everyone does the right thing and evacuate this one. It isn't looking good now :( 

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Its amazing the difference between the 0z and 12z UKMO runs. 0z which follows a very similar path was resulting in a cat 4 / 5 hurricane hitting south western Florida, while 12z shows it being a cat 2 - difference being it goes 10-20 miles further inland on the 12z of Cuba and instead of keeping its intensity it rapidly loses power.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
4 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

They seem adamant that Irma is going to weaken down to a cat 4. With waters touching nearly 32c, that is a very conservative shout in my opinion.. I hope everyone does the right thing and evacuate this one. It isn't looking good now :( 

I think the reasoning mentioned in the discussion behind the weakening was vertical shear. However they did strike a note of caution that this may not happen if the timing wasn't right 

Posted
4 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Its amazing the difference between the 0z and 12z UKMO runs. 0z which follows a very similar path was resulting in a cat 4 / 5 hurricane hitting south western Florida, while 12z shows it being a cat 2 - difference being it goes 10-20 miles further inland on the 12z of Cuba and instead of keeping its intensity it rapidly loses power.

Not seen the track myself but possibly interaction with the mountains of Cuba? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
1 minute ago, FetchCB said:

Not seen the track myself but possibly interaction with the mountains of Cuba? 

No, its the other end of Cuba. The difference is that the 12z it goes on the spine of Cuba so the center is fully overland, while on the 0z it was on the northern edge so part of it was still over water and able to get power. It shows though that the 12z is very unlikely to verify as does require exact placement to get that lucky.

Posted
2 hours ago, Barking_Mad said:

Just for reference, the east Florida coast has two nuclear plants right on it. Turkey Point and St Lucie. 

I know they're built to last....but that can't be good can it.

I see that Turkey Point already has form ....http://allthingsnuclear.org/dlochbaum/fission-stories-48-hurricane-andrew-vs-turkey-point

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Latest GFS run has the eye of Irma literally just off the Floridian coast. This means very little because damaging winds will still affect areas as far inland as Okeechobee. Wouldn't take the GFS to be wrong by much for the eye to landfall.