Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
Just now, Dancerwithwings said:

I was wondering if a CAT 6 was possible... Does the (Saffir-Simpson Scale) need adjusting ?

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/category-6-hurricane-saffir-simpson-wind-scale

That is a perpetually recurring question.

Simpson says no. His point is that the scale is calibrated to communicate the destructive power of a hurricane, with 5 being the worst case.

His point is valid.

Posted
Just now, Dancerwithwings said:

I was wondering if a CAT 6 was possible... Does the (Saffir-Simpson Scale) need adjusting ?

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/category-6-hurricane-saffir-simpson-wind-scale

My son asked the same question this morning and I went in to teacher mode on him. 

The scale is a scale of devastation the theory is that once you get to cat 5 pretty much everything under those winds is destroyed, so whether it's 180mph or 200mph then makes little difference anybody anything out in those is dead. 

Posted

Recon have found solid high end cat 4 in the se quad.

Cat 5 def.

Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

Cat 5 def.

Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

Indeed.

By that measure, the only definition there could reasonably be for Cat 6 would be "Everything under the path of the hurricane will be wiped bare - stripped back to the subsoil in which its foundations once stood."

That'd require one hell of a record hurricane to achieve.

• Like 1

Posted

Well they toyed with the idea of F6 after Moore stating damage as "Inconceivable" but it never made it past the chatter! 

So never say never

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
4 minutes ago, crimsone said:

That is a perpetually recurring question.

Simpson says no. His point is that the scale is calibrated to communicate the destructive power of a hurricane, with 5 being the worst case.

His point is valid.

3 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

My son asked the same question this morning and I went in to teacher mode on him. 

The scale is a scale of devastation the theory is that once you get to cat 5 pretty much everything under those winds is destroyed, so whether it's 180mph or 200mph then makes little difference anybody anything out in those is dead. 

Thanks for your reply's, So anything past the 200mph mark is a gonna, If we wanted to class anything a CAT 6 it doesn't matter.....Currently the islands in it's path will be pretty much destroyed!!!

Posted

I kinda feel guilty watching this thing develop and knowing what it's going to do...

... and knowing, as well, that its greatest relevance to me can be basically summed up as "every extra kt it develops is basically an extra bucket of water on my house in a few weeks time".

Edited by crimsone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
8 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Cat 5 def.

Iceberg - I really fear for local people here - a high % live in these properties. There are 90,000 people here. This is becoming very serious in Antigua. We just hope the storm with veer north and we do not get the eye over Antigua.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
10 minutes ago, crimsone said:

Indeed.

By that measure, the only definition there could reasonably be for Cat 6 would be "Everything under the path of the hurricane will be wiped bare - stripped back to the subsoil in which its foundations once stood."

That'd require one hell of a record hurricane to achieve.

It would be a record but its not that much more of an increase if memory serves. Think testing shows its around 210-220 mph sustained winds when everything is removed including the top soil. It amazing how in balance nature is that it only needs a slight push beyond the extremes and things become uninhabitable.

edit: should say this one wont get near those speeds and if it did it won't be near land, but it shows that we are getting very close to really dangerous territory.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
Just now, Cleeve Hill said:

Iceberg - I really fear for local people here - a high % live in these properties. There are 90,000 people here. This is becoming very serious in Antigua. We just hope the storm with veer north and we do not get the eye over Antigua.

I fear unless the core collapses it won't matter too much as these high winds are in every quad. 

But your right a sharp north turn is hoped for, but not expected. 

I hope that those 2-5 days further down Irmas line of sight take notice   

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, cowdog said:

It would be a record but its not that much more of an increase if memory serves. Think testing shows its around 210-220 mph sustained winds when everything is removed including the top soil. It amazing how in balance nature is that it only needs a slight push beyond the extremes and things become uninhabitable.

True... but it's also like speed in a car. Every extra mph you travel at beyond a certain level requires an exponential increase in horsepower to achieve. That's essentially the reason than landfalling Category 5 hurricanes are quite uncommon.

Posted
1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

I fear unless the core collapses it won't matter too much as these high winds are in every quad. 

But your right a sharp north turn is hoped for, but not expected. 

I hope that those 2-5 days further down Irmas line of sight take notice   

I posted out a warning on twitter a couple of days ago to get a plan in place, just as the models started converging on a path up the middle of Florida.

Few people took any notice.

Posted

You wouldn't think there was a hurricane bearing down on this idyllic spot. Live webcam from outside the Soggy Dollar Bar, Jost Van Dyke, British Virgin Islands.

http://www.soggydollar.com/webcam

v concerned about our friends who live on the neighbouring island of Tortola, their house is perched right on top of a large hill outside Road Town.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

Yes. None of the models tropical or global, had Irma as a cat 5 this side of the leewards. 

Or harvey as a cat 4 making landfall 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

Recon have officially confirms 171kts just shy of 200mph winds at flight level. 

Sound more like a pacific storm now, blimy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Kite surfing as I type. What will he be doing when the core is upon him?

Edited by Had Worse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Miami Dolphins are supposed to be playing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this Sunday afternoon. Hmm...

gfsna-0-132.png?6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Plenty of water for the dolphins

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We are only just seeing her entering the waters most conducive for development and she is doing so at Cat 5!!! She looks to be in yet another EWRC do we should expect her physical size expand and the eye wall become even larger. With the wind speeds we currently see that would be a high f3 low f4 Tornado that is up to 70 miles across!!!

Florida has a lot of old folk living there. how will they all get out esp. if they have a lot of kit to keep them alive???

I dare not think about the smaller island states in the path of Irma......

Storms of our Grandchildren might be putting in an early appearance!