Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2017/18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Windchime72 said:

I cant copy link, but the ice is almost touching Iceland this year. Impressive.

It looks like that at some point almost every year and usually someone claims we're about to see an "ice bridge" form!
The east Greenland current carries ice down the coast from the Fram Strait, where it usually melts close to Iceland. The thing to remember too is that extent, which is shown by the yellow ice on most of the maps posted here, only represents 15% ice coverage or more. So even if the yellow reached Iceland, it wouldn't be close to anything you could walk across.

On the map posted by MS, if the red section starts getting close to the Icelandic coast, that would be rare!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
5 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

It looks like that at some point almost every year and usually someone claims we're about to see an "ice bridge" form!
The east Greenland current carries ice down the coast from the Fram Strait, where it usually melts close to Iceland. The thing to remember too is that extent, which is shown by the yellow ice on most of the maps posted here, only represents 15% ice coverage or more. So even if the yellow reached Iceland, it wouldn't be close to anything you could walk across.

On the map posted by MS, if the red section starts getting close to the Icelandic coast, that would be rare!

Interesting, that would raise a few eye brows if the red touched Iceland. I have no idea what would cause that...im guessing much colder temperatures in that region...

Posted
4 minutes ago, Windchime72 said:

Interesting, that would raise a few eye brows if the red touched Iceland. I have no idea what would cause that...im guessing much colder temperatures in that region...

I have an old war book in the house and it has Admiralty charts in it from WW2, and it has the maximum Winter ice extent half way down the Icelandic coast with the stretch of water between Iceland and Greenland iced up.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

I have an old war book in the house and it has Admiralty charts in it from WW2, and it has the maximum Winter ice extent half way down the Icelandic coast with the stretch of water between Iceland and Greenland iced up.

That's impressive and hence why there was much more cold winter weather around in those decades. It's quite obvious that the ice has retreated in our era due to the warming of our planet, hence why its more difficult to pull in colder weather to our area and even when we do the elements are greatly modified...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
53 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Yes, it looks quite close....

c_map7.jpg

Yes , that's quite impressive for early season. About 100 Km currently separates Iceland coast to the full ice flow concentration off Greenland. Spring 1968 the complete last bridge when Polar bears crossed ! Maybe 50 years on , it could happen again ?

C

• Like 5

Posted
32 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Yes , that's quite impressive for early season. About 100 Km currently separates Iceland coast to the full ice flow concentration off Greenland. Spring 1968 the complete last bridge when Polar bears crossed ! Maybe 50 years on , it could happen again ?

C

It could C, and the 60's winters were cold. The Icelanders would have to be on guard for polar bears...lol

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I will take a picture of the WW2 Admiralty ice chart and put it on here, is there an easy guide as to how to do this from a mobile phone?

Sorry mate, im on a hand set too...im sure someone on the forum could help you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Big increase of snow cover over Scandinavia.

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/DATA/cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Interesting in comparing today vs same day last year, based on these it appears the sea ice is still somewhat ahead of last year (taking on board BFTV's post above regarding this only represents 15% ice coverage or more).  Particularly ahead in NE Canada in Hudson Bay. 

2016 ims2016336_asiaeurope.gif

2017 cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

I will take a picture of the WW2 Admiralty ice chart and put it on here, is there an easy guide as to how to do this from a mobile phone?

Click on "click to choose files" right of the paperclip icon in the compose box

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I have just noticed that my previous post Snow and Ice chart was not the latest one.  I will try again:

5a227cd973fbe_cursnow_asiaeuropeSnowIceChartAsiaandEuropeFriDec12017.thumb.gif.cb27eb8e269bfcf1db9c2506f1678dd0.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 hours ago, Ice Day said:

Interesting in comparing today vs same day last year, based on these it appears the sea ice is still somewhat ahead of last year (taking on board BFTV's post above regarding this only represents 15% ice coverage or more).  Particularly ahead in NE Canada in Hudson Bay. 

2016 ims2016336_asiaeurope.gif

2017 cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Also note the extra ice in Kara and the Barents Seas...

It is fully covering the eastern seaboard of Novya Zemlya this year, and also starting to cover the western coast (on high mag). So large increases in that area also. The Baltic has also started its refreeze much earlier again this year.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

The build up continues and the UK is now covered in many pixels!  Edit - Aaaaagh, can't load the right image....you'll have to take my word for it, it looks great!

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 2

Posted

Deleted....I give up!

Edited by Ice Day

Posted
1 hour ago, Despicable Weather said:

This one Ice? As you say, looks good and pixels showing up nicely in UK with that smattering all down the west

SnowIceChart08122017.JPG

That's the one, well done sir.  I'm going to give my laptop a damn good thrashing then put it on the naughty step!

Posted

The sea ice is making good progress:

cursnow_asiaeurope Snow and Ice Chart Saturday December 9th 2017.gif

Edited by Katrine Basso
  • Like 1

Posted

Could the sea ice increase this year be linked to the lack of storms and early separation of the PV which was also common in 1962/63 winter? It seems to me like this is a recipe for creating calm sea conditions in the north would lead to an increase of the sea freezing up nicely, usually there is a constant raging storms rolling around the north through autumn churning up the seas.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest snow and ice map:

5a2e68db02889_cursnow_asiaeuropeSundayDecember2017.thumb.gif.433a1849bab0a600a9cea00232753d5e.gif

Edited by Katrine Basso
Wrong chart appeared
  • Like 4

Posted

Good increases of snow cover for Scandinavia and other countries.  Ice cover is also increasing more.

cursnow_asiaeurope Monday December 11th 2017.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
25 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

Good increases of snow cover for Scandinavia and other countries.  Ice cover is also increasing more.

cursnow_asiaeurope Monday December 11th 2017.gif

Hey look, England, Wales and Ireland are now  on the map:yahoo:

Also a good increase in Barents sea ice can be seen in the last 24 hours.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1