Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forecasting humidity on a map?

Hi All, 

Hope Im posting this to the correct forum.

So....You know how you have storm chasers? Well Im a mist and fog chaser :)

Lots of amazing apps/websites about, many of which will give you humidity information, but so far Ive not been able to find one that forecasts humility information on an actual map (the UK in my case). Every app Ive found will forcast information for specific places that I happen to have in my favourites or I search for. But this means is a real chore trying to find out where mist might be. Id like an overview. 

Basically Im looking to find where mist is at not necessarily what the weather is doing immediately over my house.

Anyway, if anyone can offer any help or advise I would really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi

Fog formation is much more than what the humidity is predicted to be. The link I give below may help you at least a little. Is the fog you are interested radiation fog (which is what Saunders is for) or advection fog or hill fog which both need other information although Saunders is of some use at times.

good luck, and ask questions there is always someone able and willing to help here.

http://www.caem.wmo.int/_pdf/low_cloud_visibility/lowcloudvis_05_saunders.pdf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
19 hours ago, mushmatt said:

Hi All, 

Hope Im posting this to the correct forum.

So....You know how you have storm chasers? Well Im a mist and fog chaser :)

Lots of amazing apps/websites about, many of which will give you humidity information, but so far Ive not been able to find one that forecasts humility information on an actual map (the UK in my case). Every app Ive found will forcast information for specific places that I happen to have in my favourites or I search for. But this means is a real chore trying to find out where mist might be. Id like an overview. 

Basically Im looking to find where mist is at not necessarily what the weather is doing immediately over my house.

Anyway, if anyone can offer any help or advise I would really appreciate it.

Where do you live?

I often "chase" mist throughout the year around sunrise, quite often formation can be random but I've got to know spots where it occurs more often than not.

The best places are dips, hollows, areas where streams/rivers run through valleys.

Im lucky to live in the Howardian Hills where we have lovely rolling countryside and the River Derwent runs through a nearby village where radiation fog/mist is a frequent visitor.

I think its all about exploring your area, getting out early and getting to know the prone spots.

We are readily approaching Autumn which is often the best time of year for mist/fog, and also sunrise isnt at a ridiculously early time anymore.

Best of luck, and please post pics if you find what your after :)

Here's Kirkham where we have mist on a regular basis.

IMG_8266.thumb.JPG.99718a17475bf54a822d1f8e3640cb8a.JPG

Edited by vizzy2004