Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
Sign in to follow this  
The PIT

Wayne Rooney A great or not

I wouldn't call him a great I would say a good player who didn't quiet reach the heights shown as a youngster due to injuries. If he hadn't been injured it would have been a different story.

He certainly didn't influence the team such as Keegan, Robson, Beckham, Lineker

Some say he's under rated because he played in a poor team but so did Keegan and Keegan influenced the team. Beckham carried the team at times anyone remember his two free kicks against Greece to take us to the World cup.

If you're talking England then no, not really imo. He's been very good, and is underated to a degree I think. But I can't see how anyone in recent years can be known as a great when we've not done anything whatsoever in tournaments, let alone get near to winning anything. . 

For Man Utd, then I'd say he is, he's won everything there is to win, and is their record goal scorer.

He had the potential to be the world's best IMO but his lifestyle choices let him down from what I gather. 

I have heard people say that if he put as much effort into keeping himself fit as Cristiano has, he'd have been absolutely unplayable.

A victim of genetics unfortunately ...matured early ...aged early also..its almost like he peaked 5 years earlier than most sportsman and went into decline 5 years earlier also..bit like Gazza..best years were before he was 25...had he not broken his toe in the Euro 2004 QF against Portugal i am 100% certain England would have gone on to win that tournament.

He has been a fantastic player for over a decade for England and Man Utd, breaking countless records along the way. He was outstanding in 2004 before the injury in the QF I think, if he had stayed England might have won those Euros.

There has been some remarkable snobbery towards him which is very regrettable.

Decent player for England  but certainly not a great. For me it's a sad state of affairs when he was the best we could muster in his position for many years