Sign in to follow this  
Bristle boy

Other phone picks up websites i've been looking at

Any advice welcome:

Over last few weeks my wife's phone shows specific websites that I HAVE been browsing. Today i looked at some Ralph Lauren pumps on JohnLewis website. 30 mins later my wife logs in to her Facebook acct and the JLP link to the RL pumps rolls across her facebook acct. This kind of thing has happened a number of times in last few weeks. 

Anyone know why and how we can 'turn it off'......so to speak?

Are you both using your home Wi-Fi?

I use PC and phone on the same Wi-Fi and it means that both devices are running through with the same identity, as in ISP address and thus see similar behaviour to that which you are seeing.

Ad-Block is a great extension to add to browser, some browsers already have it integrated. However, as far as I know the ad-block will only stop you from 'seeing' targeted ads but will not 'turn off' the tracking cookies in the background. I also never go near FB so not quite sure if it will respond as well as normal websites do.

Hope this info helps somewhat until a more informed poster can enlighten us both further.

It would likely be ip based. You can opt out of a lot of interest based ads here.

http://optout.aboutads.info/#!/

You can do similar with Facebook ads here

https://m.facebook.com/help/568137493302217

Most ads have an 'info' or ad choices logo on them in one of the corners. Clicking that will take you to the opt out page too.

As for ad blocking, it's worth bearing in mind that with most websites being free to access, it's the ad revenue which pays for them.

Thanks guys. Yes we are both using home wifi (virgin media) so i'll investigate as you suggest. Cheers

If you're both use facebook I would point the finger in that direction. Basically look at your privacy settings and in any browser use the do not track function.

Neither my phone or pc at home or at work for that matter show what I've been looking at at any other.

I had something like this a while back. I think it was something to do with the home networking thing? I know I solved it very wuickly, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did. That's not very helpful is it :wallbash: