Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive and Negative lightning

mike57

Posted

Wasn't sure where to post this, so if mods want to move it...

This morning at around 4.45 we were woken by a huge crash of thunder much louder than usual. It also caused the power to fail for a few tens of seconds. It wasn't particularly near I don't think, as it wasn't the gunshot effect. A look on social media indicated that it was heard over a wide area, up 4 to 5 miles away at least, and everyone commented on how loud it was, it woke people all over our area and Bridlington. In spite of now being awake I didn't hear any more rumbles and a quick check on the radar showed the nearest storms were some way away, off towards Beverley.

Doing a bit of Internet research turned up positive lightning. Could this have been positive lightning, would that explain why it was so loud, and heard over a wide area, with no storms in the immediate vicinity.

I would assume the extra energy would equate to louder thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Whilst I have no answer to this Mike, just to back you up heres last nights lightning.

query_data_1503511969

Strikes seems to be well south of Flamborough so odd you were woken by thunder.

Posted
3 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Strikes seems to be well south of Flamborough so odd you were woken by thunder.

Wasnt just me - http://www.bridlingtonfreepress.co.uk/news/were-you-woken-by-booming-crack-of-thunder-1-8716717

Also quite a few Facebook posts

I've no doubt it was thunder, it sounded 'right' just VERY loud, and there was the power dip. If it had been a sub station exploding (which isnt unknown in Bridlington, age of infrastructure and sea air) then there would have been reports of widespread power cuts as something that was heard over 5 miles + area would have been a major bit of kit

• 3 months later...
Posted

Not all lightning is picked up by the detector network, I have been reliably informed that cloud to cloud, in cloud lightning more often than not is not detected.... However, a thunderclap like you're describing sounds like it should be the result of a positive ground strike.... I suppose it could have been missed by the detector grid...