Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted

We all know summer will return in September when the kids are back at school and the nights have drawn in considerably so you won't be able to make the most of it. It's just how it is these days.

Posted

haaaaaa bbc this evening in on about September now!!  right!!  "don't give up hope"  no we just keep dangling good weather over people and snatching it away.The weather as been shocking badly in the last 2 weeks. and the nonsense about the  jet stream being in the wrong place. its actually in the right place for the UK . As the last 10 summers have proven (well apart form the odd summer month here and there).

This is isn't whinging on my part, just wish  the weather forecasters said something like this. The jet stream often in the summer  becomes more active ruining any chance of prolonged settle weather.Rather than saying its in the wrong position.:) when all said and done. I hope we do get some more summer weather before the season comes to a close.The idea of heavy showers  and cool  for weeks  to come doesn't fill me with joy.

Posted
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

We all know summer will return in September when the kids are back at school and the nights have drawn in considerably so you won't be able to make the most of it. It's just how it is these days.

Yes - it certainly feels like that, and although we don't yet know for certain August will be a washout, the outlook doesn't look promising.  Where we have had decent summer weather in recent years it seems to have fallen outside the school holidays.  

I don't remember this being the case when I was in school (I remember warm sunny spells in the holidays in 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1995) or the weather improving dramatically in September, so I've had a look to see if I was lucky or if this nasty run of late summer weather is a recent trend / unfortunate coincidence.   

Notice in these graphs the lack of any notably below average rainfall in August since 2003:

UK.gif

Recent sunshine average for August is also down:

UK.gif

Temperature is generally up, although with nothing notably hot since 2004:

UK.gif

Either side of the main school holiday month, after a poor run of Julys for sunshine between 2007 and 2012 we had two very sunny ones in a row in 2013 & 2014:

UK.gif

...and September sunshine seems to have gone the opposite way to August, with an upward trend and 2008 standing out as the only particularly dull September since around 2001:

UK.gif 

We've actually not had a notably wet September since 2000 - in fact September rainfall has been significantly lower since then with 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1995, 1999 and 2000 all being wetter than anything since the turn of the century.

UK.gif

So yes, those kids who've been in school since about 2004 really do seem have been unlucky when it comes to the summer break!  The longer term graphs don't show any reason why this trend should continue, though, so hopefully it will even out in the long run... maybe after a wet start August 2017 will buck the trend?

Graph source: Met Office http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/actualmonthly

Posted

To be fair August 2016 was better than August 2004 for settled weather. It's not all about temperature but settled sunny conditions in my view. Look at Summer 1989 for example- apart from July the temperatures were nothing outstanding but the diurnal range was much greater with warm days offset by cool nights. The most outstanding Summers in my view are the following: 1976, 1995, 1989, 1975, 2006, 1959, 1984, 1996, 2013. I don't think we're due the next one till into the 2020's really. Other close call Summers were 1983, 2003, 2014. This summer looks like being less good than 2016 but better than 2015. The worst Summers in recent times were 2012 by a long way followed by 2008.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I live in Essex and I have to say this July is probably the one of the worst, if not the worst, in memory. Seems devoid of any real warmth and seems to just be a slog of constant cloud, rain and wind. Just feels like October/November really. 

The bad news is that it dosen't look like it'll change anytime soon. It's a shame because the last bit of May was lovely, and most of June was very warm and dry, but this month has been Tut poor. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Agreed with the above. I think that discussion of August 04 as a good month is an indicator that it has passed from memory. For those of who do remember.. it was a hellish month in which the rain never stopped and the humidity was hard to compare to any other month. I'm pretty sure i even remember a front passing at 25C. 

Posted

what an horrible morning for the first day of August.. Its not raining yet  but  very dark clouds and a  "cool" wind.. When we had a very warm second  half of May. I was hoping it would be the trend for this year.. turned into a  very disappointing summer I must say!.

hey well 2012  was followed by the best summer in  many a year in 2013 and surely 2018 wont as be  has this year. It can't be  can it ?:fool:

Edited by weatherguru14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
11 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

haaaaaa bbc this evening in on about September now!!  right!!  "don't give up hope"  no we just keep dangling good weather over people and snatching it away.The weather as been shocking badly in the last 2 weeks. and the nonsense about the  jet stream being in the wrong place. its actually in the right place for the UK . As the last 10 summers have proven (well apart form the odd summer month here and there).

This is isn't whinging on my part, just wish  the weather forecasters said something like this. The jet stream often in the summer  becomes more active ruining any chance of prolonged settle weather.Rather than saying its in the wrong position.:) when all said and done. I hope we do get some more summer weather before the season comes to a close.The idea of heavy showers  and cool  for weeks  to come doesn't fill me with joy.

A strange rant. They're saying that it's in the wrong place if you want warm and settled weather. Nothing wrong with it IMO.

I'm crossing my fingers that we've seen the last of the unnecessarily hot weather, but I thought that last year and then that September hot spell came along.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

A strange rant. They're saying that it's in the wrong place if you want warm and settled weather. Nothing wrong with it IMO.

No they said its where you expect  the jet to be at this time of year... having lived through the last 10 years.. the jet stream is in the correct position for the UK

Anyway I think I've had this discussion on here  several times over the last  3 years anyhow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I suppose to be fair the models do show the Jet Stream taking on a bit of a Southerly track in the next few days or so, but nothing seemingly too unusual with lows tracking through the UK or just to the North. 

At least compared to when the Jet tracks so far South that lows end up running along the South of the UK, it does appear to be in a fairly ordinary position. 

For Winter, though, having the Jet track far enough South to deliver channel lows as well as encouraging European troughing, is like a dream come true! 

Edit: Just 18*C here at the moment (lol)

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

About a 6.5/10 here so far. Fairly similar to yours with a great start. But the lack of storms is letting it down, plus it does feel like, even this far South, that Autumn is slowly trying to suck up some of Summer's goodness

Having said that, the last few days have been okay with light to moderate showers and a fair amount of brighter spells too

Edit: heavy shower now

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
5 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

32C already here at 11am.

I really miss the homeland heat,from South-Eastern Slovakia

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

a very north/south divide in Europe this July, and West/East in USA

july temp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
17 hours ago, matty007 said:

I live in Essex and I have to say this July is probably the one of the worst, if not the worst, in memory. Seems devoid of any real warmth and seems to just be a slog of constant cloud, rain and wind. Just feels like October/November really. 

The bad news is that it dosen't look like it'll change anytime soon. It's a shame because the last bit of May was lovely, and most of June was very warm and dry, but this month has been Tut poor. 

You must have a short memory or be very young, 2007 was a stinker (far wetter than this July has just been), 2009 wasn't that great either...going back further there has been far worse July's.

Have to say too that temperature anomaly chart/globe doesn't look particularly accurate - Spain, Portugal and southern France have been very warm, certainly + anomalies down there, but the chart appears to show near normal or just above (the same as southern England which has not been the case), and all those cold anomalies over central eastern Europe!! - really?

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
6 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

what an horrible morning for the first day of August.. Its not raining yet  but  very dark clouds and a  "cool" wind.. When we had a very warm second  half of May. I was hoping it would be the trend for this year.. turned into a  very disappointing summer I must say!.

hey well 2012  was followed by the best summer in  many a year in 2013 and surely 2018 wont as be  has this year. It can't be  can it ?:fool:

Well next summer will be in a yr ending with an 8 ,the last few decades with years ending with an 8 the summers were not great,78,88,98 2008. 2018???

7 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

If simply based on 10 year trends then it doesn't bode well! 1988, '98 and '08 were all rather poor summers!

August 2004 was quite astonishing really, in the North West there was a spell when a thunderstorm was almost a nightly occurrence! It seemed to last for most of the month from what I remember, along with a lot of rain.

Edited by Philipsfd

Posted
4 hours ago, sundog said:

Well next summer will be in a yr ending with an 8 ,the last few decades with years ending with an 8 the summers were not great,78,88,98 2008. 2018???

ahhh can we  get the year changed and call next year  2019 instead :)

Posted
3 hours ago, Philipsfd said:

If simply based on 10 year trends then it doesn't bode well! 1988, '98 and '08 were all rather poor summers!

August 2004 was quite astonishing really, in the North West there was a spell when a thunderstorm was almost a nightly occurrence! It seemed to last for most of the month from what I remember, along with a lot of rain.

Oh well we'll see .Hopefully this august will throw up at least one warm spell of a  few days!  if it doesn't  its going to be a shocker!

2018 will  buck the trend and it will make  1976 look cold!!   hot from April until  October!  My weather models have predicted  it! What can go wrong? :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

June wasn't too bad here but most of July was rubbish. It's been very difficult to manage 2 dry days in a row. Had another day with rain today. Looks like every day this week will see more rain.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
4 hours ago, jules216 said:

I really miss the homeland heat,from South-Eastern Slovakia

Dobrý večer! Ako sa máš? :) Got up to 36C in the end. Forecast for Friday has been upgraded to 38C. I'll be frying eggs on the pavement at this rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
54 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Dobrý večer! Ako sa máš? :) Got up to 36C in the end. Forecast for Friday has been upgraded to 38C. I'll be frying eggs on the pavement at this rate.

Wow, 38C is crazy hot even for Slovakia. I have loads of Czech family in Brno and apartments don't have aircon, much like the UK, so that'll be fun! Though I'd swap their climate for mine at an instant. Do you live in Bratislava now? 

Edited by stainesbloke