Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 4/26/2017 at 12:29, Summer of 95 said:

Dry warm April-bad summer:

1987, 2007, 2011, 2015

Dry warm April, mixed summer

Dry warm April, good summer

????????

This April has been vaguely like April 1995, which was warm and sunny in the first half and turned much colder in the last week. The warmth then was longer lasting but less intense than 2017, but overall they were quite similar. March was totally different though with that snowfall at the start followed by just about everything.

Are we going to lose the "June is crap when the year ends in 7" thing this year????

1997 was a pretty warm summer overall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

1997 was a pretty warm summer overall.

2nd hottest August on record?

Posted
13 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

2nd hottest August on record?

Yeah, after 1995. 

July wasn't particularly noteworthy but was a perfectly decent summer month.

June was fairly crap.

Overall, I think it belongs in the 'good' category, all things considered. Certainly no worse than 1989, 2003 or 2013.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Very interesting. After the first half of April I was thinking it was going to be a great month but has gone sharply downhill with sunshine and warmth here in the ENE. Apart from rainfall it looks very average with perhaps a little below sunshine and little above temperature so I still think all to play for. I think Paul Hudson spoke about Glorious Aprils too.

Edited by Summer 1976

Posted

Does anyone have any idea why the BBC  for 2 nights running  said the temperatures were on the rise and did a graphic to show. when  3/4 days ago it was pretty obvious it wasn't going to be the case.Now. their outlook as gone for average to just below.. How can they get it so wrong?? dishonest or just incapable??

Posted
4 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Does anyone have any idea why the BBC  for 2 nights running  said the temperatures were on the rise and did a graphic to show. when  3/4 days ago it was pretty obvious it wasn't going to be the case.Now. their outlook as gone for average to just below.. How can they get it so wrong?? dishonest or just incapable??

You don't half talk some rubbish. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The usual summer for London, comfortable start followed by none stop humidity from July through to mid September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Expecting nothing here but drizzle and the  odd mizzle..

even in Cumbria, the nice bit?:rofl:

Posted

10 Sunniest Summers(1929) vs 10 Warmest Summers(1910) for England

1. 1976     1. 1976

2. 1989     2. 2006

3. 1995     3. 2003

4. 1975     4. 1995

5. 1959     5. 1911

6. 2006     6. 1947

7. 1949     7. 1983

8. 1933     8. 1933

9. 1996     9. 1975

10.2013  10. 2013

Posted

I know they keep going on about the dry spell of weather we are having nationwide.. I know that plain to see. But when is it going to feel warm??? We had 2 week ends in March and one week end in April early on .where it felt lovely and pleasant.. I know in  very west of the UK they are having almost  summer like conditions. But as far as I can see   the wind  direction is making it feel  cold for lot of the country as well extremely cloudy..Its only early May I know ,but its gonna rain  eventually.. I just hope we don't end up with a dry cold cloudy spring followed by a wet summer.

1 minute ago, weatherguru14 said:

I know they keep going on about the dry spell of weather we are having nationwide.. I know that plain to see. But when is it going to feel warm??? We had 2 week ends in March and one week end in April early on .where it felt lovely and pleasant.. I know in  very west of the UK they are having almost  summer like conditions. But as far as I can see   the wind  direction is making it feel  cold for lot of the country as well extremely cloudy..Its only early May I know ,but its gonna rain  eventually.. I just hope we don't end up with a dry cold cloudy spring followed by a wet summer.

lol you've read the script :rofl:

Posted

:sorry: am moving to Spain :aggressive: if that's the case. I guess am not the only one who's forced to take vitamin d supplements  now.. in a blood test mine came back as very low... We'll see :clap: what  2017 brings!!!

Edited by weatherguru14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

What's in store? probably the same rubbish around here - about 3 or 4 days a month where it's actually warm enough and the sun is out for shorts and tshirts. The rest of it temps around 15-17C with rain or overcast skies....all fairly typical if we get winds of a westerly component. Of course for London it will be between 20C-27C on most days, the odd day hitting 30C or just above. With the usual cloudless skies south & east of Northampton stretching into the near continent as well.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted

What I find annoying is how the weather forecasters say it will be cool along the east coast..Even though the wind is blowing at   15/20kph inland.. For instance on met office for my area tomorrow its got 13c  but feels like 8c.. and gusts up to 23kph from east to north easterly.. It just seems impossible to  get winds from a slightly warmer direction.. the damn high as been stuck over Scandinavia for ages..before that we had a  run of  north/westerlys and  even from the arctic at one point.

I just want to have a week of warm sunny weather  not pointless dry cold cloudy  nonsense.. we use to get  now and then  where the weather would surprise  us.. be it snow in the winter or  hot weather in  Aoril or May. we don't get anything now. Just drab weather..

On 2017-5-1 at 08:42, Summer 1976 said:

10 Sunniest Summers(1929) vs 10 Warmest Summers(1910) for England

1. 1976     1. 1976

2. 1989     2. 2006

3. 1995     3. 2003

4. 1975     4. 1995

5. 1959     5. 1911

6. 2006     6. 1947

7. 1949     7. 1983

8. 1933     8. 1933

9. 1996     9. 1975

10.2013  10. 2013

A lot of those years are fairly recently.

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

We've just had one of the warmest Marches on record and both March and April were warmer, sunnier and drier than average. We also had areas reaching the low-mid 20s in the first week of April. I'm not sure what you expect in the UK in spring, which is after all the second coldest season on average. Despite that, its going to be anything but 'cold and cloudy' regardless of what May brings.

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, reef said:

We've just had one of the warmest Marches on record and both March and April were warmer, sunnier and drier than average. We also had areas reaching the low-mid 20s in the first week of April. I'm not sure what you expect in the UK in spring, which is after all the second coldest season on average. Despite that, its going to be anything but 'cold and cloudy' regardless of what May brings.

stats  and real feel of things mean nothing to me.. I think the feel of the weather is more important.. March was decent I agree.. But April apart from the first week as not felt warm.. In April we have  had winds form North west.. from the north pole and now  from east to north easterly..

It may be higher then average.. It hasn't felt like it... and that's all that counts to me. Take the summer of 2015 it was very dry  but it was a cold summer.. No doubt the stats do not back it  up.

Its like Cricket a batsman can  get 190 in  1 innings and have a poor  4/5 more matches and his average will still be high.. because we had 25c at the start of April. The whole month is taken into consideration.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I still have positive thoughts for this summer. June/July very anti-cyclonic and dry with the odd hot spell and plume, August becoming autumnal as always the case with August these days.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

It may be higher then average.. It hasn't felt like it... and that's all that counts to me. Take the summer of 2015 it was very dry  but it was a cold summer.. No doubt the stats do not back it  up.

2015 was sunnier than 2016, 2016 warmer, similar rainfall. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Summer 1976 said:

2015 was sunnier than 2016, 2016 warmer, similar rainfall. 

Thanks :) , And speaking of Augusts.. I would settle for an August similar to last year.. Any information on last August?? :D

Posted
28 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Thanks :) , And speaking of Augusts.. I would settle for an August similar to last year.. Any information on last August?? :D

Yes completely agree..great month. 14th sunniest since 1929 and 14th warmest since 1910. Locally it was better than that though for sunshine especially.