Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Even on what is supposed to be the warmest day of the month, we're still plagued by cloud despite a southeasterly. The story of the second half of this summer. Time to draw the curtains on it I feel!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 hours ago, B87 said:

August shocking yet again, what a surprise.  Here are the average highs and sun hours for London for the last 20 Augusts.  A collapse around 2006/7. For reference, the averages for August should be 23.2c, and 205 sun hours.

1997: 25.8c / 194.2 hrs
1998: 23.5c / 262.6 hrs
1999: 22.8c / 199.8 hrs
2000: 23.2c / 211.4 hrs
2001: 23.5c / 210.9 hrs
2002: 23.3c / 190.4 hrs
2003: 26.4c / 255.3 hrs
2004: 23.8c / 213.3 hrs
2005: 23.2c / 250.4 hrs
2006: 22.2c / 140.2 hrs
2007: 21.5c / 192.6 hrs
2008: 21.5c / 104.3 hrs
2009: 23.9c / 167.6 hrs
2010: 21.6c / 110.9 hrs
2011: 21.8c / 144.1 hrs
2012: 23.5c / 182.6 hrs
2013: 24.3c / 198.7 hrs
2014: 21.7c / 183.6 hrs
2015: 22.2c / 134.1 hrs
2016: 24.7c / 201.4 hrs
2017: 21.4c / 113.9 hrs so far

Summer so far here is 0.7c above average; we have recorded 184mm rain and only 492 hrs of sun, so it's been very wet and cloudy.

Thanks for posting those figures. Clearly shows how poor August has become as a 'summer' month, especially regarding sunshine totals which have been awfully bad, even in Augusts with a higher than average temperature total. Today a typical example in the London area, forecasts galore showing upper twenties and plenty of sunshine, reality gloomy skies and 22C. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

whats been really poor though.. we got a hot spell in may that lasted a week or so.. we had similar  in June and early July... since the absolutely nothing for weeks and weeks. and  the settled  summer spell most of us want. Its not gonna materialize now. I can't offer any let up as we head in late August or further into September.. Last year  August and September  recovered what was a poor summer.. this year  its not going to happen..

Posted
3 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

whats been really poor though.. we got a hot spell in may that lasted a week or so.. we had similar  in June and early July... since the absolutely nothing for weeks and weeks. and  the settled  summer spell most of us want. Its not gonna materialize now. I can't offer any let up as we head in late August or further into September.. Last year  August and September  recovered what was a poor summer.. this year  its not going to happen..

I've never rated August, it pales against May, June and July which on average are drier and sunnier months, understandable given hours of daylight diminish through August quite quickly, and the atlantic traditionally ramps into gear, indeed we are far more likely to see settled conditions in Spring months than August. For the NW, the May - July period is our best chance of settled calm conditions, things usually go downhill come August, and once again this year it has happened. Late August feels very different to the heady feel of late May/early June.. the late August bank holiday should be moved a month forward at least I feel.. with perhaps another one in late October to be break up the long period until christmas.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I'm seeing some patches of yellow in the trees already, perhaps due to the severe lack of sunshine.

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

I've never rated August, it pales against May, June and July which on average are drier and sunnier months, understandable given hours of daylight diminish through August quite quickly, and the atlantic traditionally ramps into gear, indeed we are far more likely to see settled conditions in Spring months than August. For the NW, the May - July period is our best chance of settled calm conditions, things usually go downhill come August, and once again this year it has happened. Late August feels very different to the heady feel of late May/early June.. the late August bank holiday should be moved a month forward at least I feel.. with perhaps another one in late October to be break up the long period until christmas.

i disagree in the sense I rate September more than the likes late may/ early June.. Obviously daylight is getting shorter in September.. But from years of viewing September does deliver more settled  periods of weather..And  18c/20c Is rather nice..lets face it   any summer month in the UK is not guaranteed any good weather.It just depends if the Jet stream  stays  north long enough to give us  a decent summer.. this year the  Jet steam as been way to active.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Indeed. Spring and early Summer tends to give the best of the sunny and warm weather most especially for NW England and Scotland. Happened this year and last year too. Plenty of other occurrences in the past as well - there is certainly a pattern there. Things tend to switch round mid & late Summer with the South-East tending to fare better than more North-Western areas of the UK most years.

15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

It's easy to think that but if you take the previous 22 years it's very mixed as a whole; '95, '97, '98, '03, '07, 2012 and last year clearly had better weather in August than in the early part of summer. You could also make a case for '96, '02 '05 and '09. Only '99 '04, '06, '08, 2010, 2013 and '14, before this year, seem to have had a clearly inferior August.

Edited by Philipsfd

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 23:58, B87 said:

August shocking yet again, what a surprise.  Here are the average highs and sun hours for London for the last 20 Augusts.  A collapse around 2006/7. For reference, the averages for August should be 23.2c, and 205 sun hours.

1997: 25.8c / 194.2 hrs
1998: 23.5c / 262.6 hrs
1999: 22.8c / 199.8 hrs
2000: 23.2c / 211.4 hrs
2001: 23.5c / 210.9 hrs
2002: 23.3c / 190.4 hrs
2003: 26.4c / 255.3 hrs
2004: 23.8c / 213.3 hrs
2005: 23.2c / 250.4 hrs
2006: 22.2c / 140.2 hrs
2007: 21.5c / 192.6 hrs
2008: 21.5c / 104.3 hrs
2009: 23.9c / 167.6 hrs
2010: 21.6c / 110.9 hrs
2011: 21.8c / 144.1 hrs
2012: 23.5c / 182.6 hrs
2013: 24.3c / 198.7 hrs
2014: 21.7c / 183.6 hrs
2015: 22.2c / 134.1 hrs
2016: 24.7c / 201.4 hrs
2017: 21.4c / 113.9 hrs so far

Summer so far here is 0.7c above average; we have recorded 184mm rain and only 492 hrs of sun, so it's been very wet and cloudy.

I'm surprised to see how much sunshine August '99 had! I thought this month was a bit of a shocker for sunshine, yet it's around the same as last year and 2013 and ahead of the highly thought-of August '97.

Posted
On 26 July 2017 at 04:02, Weather-history said:

to hear Michael Holding, the West Indian cricketer and commentator for Sky saying this has been the best summer he's experienced here since 1976 is laughable. He was here in 2003 and 2006, he played for Windies in the UK in 1984.

I wonder if he now still thinks the same? It's now on the border of being in the top 50 wettest summers on record for England and Wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
17 hours ago, Relativistic said:

I'm seeing some patches of yellow in the trees already, perhaps due to the severe lack of sunshine.

Trees definitely on the turn here. Some of them have a distinctly autumnal look. So August has been a shocker. Who'd a thought it? Definitely becoming par for the course as I am struggling to recall the last time we had a really good one.

Where would be the best place to look to see the stats of the wind direction this month, and indeed this summer, from recollection it has been between W and SW for most of the summer.

It would be interesting to see if this has broken any records.

Posted

Thanks for the stats. It's been deeply disappointing this August in Somerset with minimal sunshine and plenty of cloud and drizzle. At least we've avoided the flash floods but I for one feel cheated after a false start.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

First time past 25C this month here. Lovely day! I was getting worried we wouldn't reach it this month. Would be the first August since 2010 not to if that were the case.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some lovely sky's this evening.

20170828_171726.thumb.jpg.e2436337a511eea5ebfd453ca57b892a.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

I really feel as if I live in a different country reading through the posts about this summer and August.

No complaints at all about this summer.

Mind you here has often been the sunniest and warmest during August.
I can understand folks up north but often I read how crap it is west of London.

Mind you reading those of you who live in the north always complain about crappy summers the same way as us down south moan about no snow lol...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

New data takes the highest bank holiday temp down to 27.2C in 1984, as a result, today is officially hottest late August Bank Holiday on record

28.2C Holbeach, Lincolnshire

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

New data takes the highest bank holiday temp down to 27.2C in 1984, as a result, today is officially hottest Aug Bank Holiday on record

28.2C Holbeach, Lincolnshire

It maybe the hottest late August Bank holiday on record but is it the hottest August Bank Holiday?

The August Bank Holiday was the first Monday in August from the 1870s to 1964 it has to be remembered.