Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
On 02/08/2017 at 22:42, matty007 said:

How on earth is this usable weather? Apart from VERY brief spells of sunshine it's been an endless barrage of cloud, rain, wind and ridicliously low tempretures. Every day I think maybe it'll change but no, I step out the house or work and it's either peeing it down, cloudy, ridicliosuly windy, or a combination of all three. Statistics aside, this July was probably one of the worst I can remember, I'm sure people will quote worse ones at me, but to me it's been the worst. And August looks like continuing the run.

Summer...Bah. Feels more liek the middle or end of Autumn. I was watching 'glorious' Goodwood today, looked more like a winter race. It's getting a joke now.

Statistically one of the worst you can remember!?!...as I posted the other day, your either young or have a short memory, 2007, 2009 or even 2012 spring to mind?...you come from Saffron Walden and the summers in the south east have been not bad since 2012.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
On 02/08/2017 at 22:42, matty007 said:

How on earth is this usable weather? Apart from VERY brief spells of sunshine it's been an endless barrage of cloud, rain, wind and ridicliously low tempretures. Every day I think maybe it'll change but no, I step out the house or work and it's either peeing it down, cloudy, ridicliosuly windy, or a combination of all three. Statistics aside, this July was probably one of the worst I can remember, I'm sure people will quote worse ones at me, but to me it's been the worst. And August looks like continuing the run.

Summer...Bah. Feels more liek the middle or end of Autumn. I was watching 'glorious' Goodwood today, looked more like a winter race. It's getting a joke now.

No one living in the south east of England has any right to complain IMO. Summers are never what most people in this country would describe as bad down there, based on having spent every summer I've ever lived through (apart from this one) in Essex. When in Essex I've often read comments on here about how terrible the summer weather has been in other parts of the country, while I'm sitting there with sunshine and temperatures in the low 20s. Perhaps July was as you described, but you're almost certainly forgetting (or completely unaware of, even) a lot of days this summer where the weather in Saffron Walden has been dry and warm while other parts of the country were worse off.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Relativistic said:

No one living in the south east of England has any right to complain IMO. Summers are never what most people in this country would describe as bad down there, based on having spent every summer I've ever lived through (apart from this one) in Essex. When in Essex I've often read comments on here about how terrible the summer weather has been in other parts of the country, while I'm sitting there with sunshine and temperatures in the low 20s. Perhaps July was as you described, but you're almost certainly forgetting (or completely unaware of, even) a lot of days this summer where the weather in Saffron Walden has been dry and warm while other parts of the country were worse off.

Can't complain about June, which had some very nice days with above average temperatures. Had some dreadful days though too, it wasn't wall to wall loveliness. I am entitled to complain big time about most of July and August so far though imho, it's been horrible. No let up with wind, cloud, chilly temperatures and it has rained virtually every day, often for hours. I am aware what to expect with our climate, doesn't stop me hoping for a good summer every year (same as those hoping for a cold snowy winter each year on here). Also, saying don't moan because the weather in the SE has often been better than the rest of country is a weak argument. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
24 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Can't complain about June, which had some very nice days with above average temperatures. Had some dreadful days though too, it wasn't wall to wall loveliness. I am entitled to complain big time about most of July and August so far though imho, it's been horrible. No let up with wind, cloud, chilly temperatures and it has rained virtually every day, often for hours. I am aware what to expect with our climate, doesn't stop me hoping for a good summer every year (same as those hoping for a cold snowy winter each year on here). Also, saying don't moan because the weather in the SE has often been better than the rest of country is a weak argument. 

I'm not saying that you shouldn't moan because the weather in the SE has often been better, I'm saying don't moan because the weather in the SE is often what many would describe as good. When I think of summers in Essex I think of sunshine, scattered clouds, and temperatures in the low 20s, because it so often is like that. I have a lot of written observations that corroborate this. And in many cases, this happens when the rest of the country is under cloud or rain. People have a tendency to remember bad things and forget about everything else.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I'm not saying that you shouldn't moan because the weather in the SE has often been better, I'm saying don't moan because the weather in the SE is often what many would describe as good. When I think of summers in Essex I think of sunshine, scattered clouds, and temperatures in the low 20s, because it so often is like that. I have a lot of written observations that corroborate this. And in many cases, this happens when the rest of the country is under cloud or rain. People have a tendency to remember bad things and forget about everything else.

I'll only moan if the weather is crap, which it has been for nearly a month now, country-wide. There have been variations on the levels of crapness depending on location, but a turd is a turd, however you look at it. If we had plenty of sunshine and temperatures in the 20's....wonderful! That was frequent in June but it feels like an age ago now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
40 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Have to admit people in and around the London area do well for warmth pretty much every Summer, they have in this one too. They would certainly complain if they lived up here. Looking at this graph for Heathrow they have only had 6 days below 20C in the past 2 months. If that happened here it would be classed as an excellent summer to us northerners. So yes perception of the weather really depends on where you live. The 2nd graph shows Manchester airport has recorded 39 days below 20C in the past couple of months, just shows the huge contrast between the south-east & up here in the north-west.

WeatherOnline.jpgWeatherOnline2.thumb.jpg.5e9d4faf746de0759141ff3855771969.jpg

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
17 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I'll only moan if the weather is crap, which it has been for nearly a month now, country-wide. There have been variations on the levels of crapness depending on location, but a turd is a turd, however you look at it. If we had plenty of sunshine and temperatures in the 20's....wonderful! That was frequent in June but it feels like an age ago now.

June does tend to be the least Atlantic dominated of the 3 summer months, August the most, June surely is warmest month in Scotland?

Posted

It wasn't a bad day yesterday.. shame we are going to get a strong northerly in the middle of the weak  though... You can almost guarantee come late august into September things will dry up and the weather will settle down. But its unlikely to warm up..the high will come from the north..  just like it did in April. which made it freezing cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Even I'll concede that much of the coming week is looking appalling. Wednesday in particular is looking like an absolute soaker around these parts.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm pretty sure we had an unusual split in the country early to mid July where the east got more rain than the west. Certainly in Somerset despite periods of rain we've had some serviceable summery weather during June and early July. Only since then has it deteriorated to the grot we have now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The beebs forecast for today changed overnight they should have stuck with last nights effort it's closer than this mornings on BBC breakfast

Last night

b9f08677-986b-4b25-872f-18cebac753ec.thumb.png.541ba638d706d0a4e73e509f2ddda587.png

BBC Breakfast this morning

645654.thumb.png.1599ce9b14dc449422b708bc05688098.png

Posted

Today is utterly dire. Heavy rain all day so far and a total already of 30.6mm. This summer is turning into a very wet one in this location, June was 200% of normal, July was 130% of normal and August is already at 80% and climbing rapidly:

Wettest summers here since 1980:

2007: 353.1mm
1997: 290.0mm
1982: 282.7mm
1980: 262.8mm
1992: 262.2mm
2004: 259.0mm
2012: 252.4mm
2017: 236.6mm (so far)

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty wet here today too. It will encourage house spiders to find a warm dry place, never look forward to this. The outlook does look much better after today. For August so far Sunshine levels here a little down and we've had reasonable temps so not in the poor category just yet. 

Edited by Matthew.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

15mm so far here today, payback for a dry Spring continues.

Only a max of 13c so far and I think today is the 3rd day this summer where we had a higher max on Xmas day last year.

Posted
2 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

15mm so far here today, payback for a dry Spring continues.

Only a max of 13c so far and I think today is the 3rd day this summer where we had a higher max on Xmas day last year.

Just north we had the last 4 days of June cool particularly the 28th. The 4th and 5th July 14c. 11th 14c. 24 14c. Today 12-13c.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Matthew. said:

Just north we had the last 4 days of June cool particularly the 28th. The 4th and 5th July 14c. 11th 14c. 24 14c. Today 12-13c.

Anyone know what the record max. cold temps are for this time of year? All I hear about is record high temps of which our part of the world never gets. Cold summer day's seem to be increasing in my part of the world, have we ever had a July/August day with a max <10C? On current trends we're heading there.

Posted

The dreadful weather today continues here. After a brief dry spell this afternoon we're back to heavy rain again. We're now up to 43.2mm since midnight. It has been cold too with a max of 14.6C.

Posted

This afternoon/Evening the weather felt like one of them  lows you get in mid November with  wind rain and cold. I have to pinch myself and say its  the  8th of August.. Our climate really  takes the weewee some times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I remember these 3 days last year again being cool, 8th-10th, definitely signs of autumn at times in Aug

archives-2016-8-8-0-0.png

Posted

57.4mm of rain on Tuesday in the end.

2017: 263.6mm (so far)

Already the 4th wettest in 37 years (and most likely since 1963, looking at the local figures).

Edited by reef
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
12 hours ago, reef said:

Already the 4th wettest in 37 years (and most likely since 1963, looking at the local figures).

Good chance of finishing 2nd by the looks of it, only 27mm needed which is easily possible with no sign of any sustained high pressure in the charts. Wouldn't mind a dry Autumn after such a wet summer.

Posted
15 hours ago, reef said:

It's a stat that has crept up quietly. Good chance that it will be the wettest summer since 2012 for England and Wales. Wettest season for England and Wales since the winter of 2015-16 as well.

Posted

We really are being punished for that nice June. Utterly hideous day here, heavy rain, flooded streets and November-like gloom. Wouldn't mind so much if it was warm (say low 20's) but the max temperature here has been a shocking 15C, as usually happens in this country when it rains. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
33 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

It's a stat that has crept up quietly. Good chance that it will be the wettest summer since 2012 for England and Wales. Wettest season for England and Wales since the winter of 2015-16 as well.

Well one cant deny the word 'wet' is becoming more and more prominent W-E .