Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted

No aircon where I live either. The flats are excellent in winter for retaining heat but the flipside is that they're hard to cool down in summer. Luckily I don't have too much trouble falling asleep. Last night's minimum was 22C. Just a chilly 35C today. The SHMÚ (basically the Slovak Met Office) have issued a Level 3 Red heat warning for Friday.

Been to Brno a couple of times. Nice town, especially the cathedral.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
54 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

No aircon where I live either. The flats are excellent in winter for retaining heat but the flipside is that they're hard to cool down in summer. Luckily I don't have too much trouble falling asleep. Last night's minimum was 22C. Just a chilly 35C today. The SHMÚ (basically the Slovak Met Office) have issued a Level 3 Red heat warning for Friday.

Been to Brno a couple of times. Nice town, especially the cathedral.

Yes, the flats are sturdily built, plenty of warm nights on summer holidays over the years. The climate over there is so much nicer than most of the UK, proper seasons though the winters can get a bit cold for my liking. How long have you lived out there? I'm in the process of arranging a move to the Czech Republic next year. Weather in Blighty has been utter crap the last 3 weeks, barely scraping 20C most days and that's in London, even worse further N. Looks like another cool week to come here and it's heading your way soon.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
14 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Dobrý večer! Ako sa máš? :) Got up to 36C in the end. Forecast for Friday has been upgraded to 38C. I'll be frying eggs on the pavement at this rate.

Haha,mam sa na hovno lebo tu v kuse prsi, better switch to English now,I come from a town called Roznava which is surrounded by lovely mountains and national parks, talking about living there in the summer,lived in a top floor apartment, which regularly got above plus 31 inside,had to keep the windows shut so the heat wouldn't come inside,bad bad sweaty nights, but you get it back in winter where it is always warm inside, warm water and heating included in service charge, now living in Wickow Mountains(Ireland) on the west slopes, so getting rain from all directions and constant cloud cover, will be returning home next year,can't beat the continental climate and these winter scenes

Kosice snow.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

I've been in Slovakia on and off since September. I was in Žilina before Christmas and now Bratislava since January. Summer in Bratislava is almost perfect but I prefer winter in Žilina (it's not as reliable here, though I got lucky with the cold January this year) - if I could combine the two it would be great.

Red Level 3 heat warnings extended to include tomorrow as well as Friday now. Just an orange Level 2 warning today (currently 32-33C depending which station you use).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
45 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

I've been in Slovakia on and off since September. I was in Žilina before Christmas and now Bratislava since January. Summer in Bratislava is almost perfect but I prefer winter in Žilina (it's not as reliable here, though I got lucky with the cold January this year) - if I could combine the two it would be great.

Red Level 3 heat warnings extended to include tomorrow as well as Friday now. Just an orange Level 2 warning today (currently 32-33C depending which station you use).

January was coldest since 1987 apparently, it was dry though,so only 2 or 3 days of snow and then brutally cold inversion,compacted snow turned to ice banks,changed color to brown or black because of crap from road/cars, would prefer more snowing days,not so cold dry weather like some mountainous villages get in Tatras or anywhere Midlands nortwards

Posted

Žilina had frequent light snowfalls when I was there before Christmas, with one big snowfall on 1st December (the day the Christmas markets opened fittingly enough). Of course that was only one winter and it may not be the norm. It reached -25C there during the January freeze.

That all feels like a long time ago at the moment. Just finished work and now I'm sitting in the sun with an ice cold beer. Na zdravie!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
On 31/07/2017 at 08:59, Nick L said:

I'm personally loving it at the moment down here. Lots of useable weather and it's not hot, was happily sat out in a beer garden yesterday. 

How on earth is this usable weather? Apart from VERY brief spells of sunshine it's been an endless barrage of cloud, rain, wind and ridicliously low tempretures. Every day I think maybe it'll change but no, I step out the house or work and it's either peeing it down, cloudy, ridicliosuly windy, or a combination of all three. Statistics aside, this July was probably one of the worst I can remember, I'm sure people will quote worse ones at me, but to me it's been the worst. And August looks like continuing the run.

Summer...Bah. Feels more liek the middle or end of Autumn. I was watching 'glorious' Goodwood today, looked more like a winter race. It's getting a joke now.

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, matty007 said:

Statistics aside, this July was probably one of the worst I can remember, I'm sure people will quote worse ones at me, but to me it's been the worst. And August looks like continuing the run.

Certainly not a good July here but we did finish with average sunshine and similar temps to June so was a very normal summer month here. June was also wetter here.

Edited by Matthew.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
10 hours ago, matty007 said:

How on earth is this usable weather? Apart from VERY brief spells of sunshine it's been an endless barrage of cloud, rain, wind and ridicliously low tempretures. Every day I think maybe it'll change but no, I step out the house or work and it's either peeing it down, cloudy, ridicliosuly windy, or a combination of all three. Statistics aside, this July was probably one of the worst I can remember, I'm sure people will quote worse ones at me, but to me it's been the worst. And August looks like continuing the run.

Summer...Bah. Feels more liek the middle or end of Autumn. I was watching 'glorious' Goodwood today, looked more like a winter race. It's getting a joke now.

Well I've found it usable. Not all of us require wall to wall sunshine and 25c to find it enjoyable outside! My rule is if it's comfortable to sit outside in a beer garden, which it was for the weekend, then it's usable.

A fairly standard summer so far although the "summery" and "less summery" bits have been in large blocks rather than mixed. The first half of summer was very good for southern England.

A peculiar month stats wise for southern England. Sunshine around average, temperatures slightly above, with rainfall well above average.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 hours ago, matty007 said:

Couldn't agree more. Dreadful prolonged spell of weather that has come at the worst time possible. This morning actually looked promising but then the usual dismal cloud rolled in completely covering the sky, the wind is howling yet again and it's a pathetic 20C with spits of drizzle in the wind. Just feels like late October to me. Very annoying and my shoulder rheumatism/tendonitis is aching badly just like it does all winter. Would be nice to have a break from that but no, crappy UK climate strikes again. Fair weather with plenty of sunshine, light winds and low-mid 20's would be fine, just not this filth.

Posted

Topped out at 37.9C at 5pm. I only have hourly readings so it may have been even higher.

It will be interesting to see if it can get even hotter tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

I don`t know about usable weather but useless weather sums it up today getting cooler and duller by the day and windy an autumn day 16c feeble.

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Topped out at 37.9C at 5pm. I only have hourly readings so it may have been even higher.

It will be interesting to see if it can get even hotter tomorrow.

Hope you are coping with that heat?! Nice cold Slovakian beer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
43 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

maybe he bribed a butcher to rent his meat locker.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, Nick L said:

Well I've found it usable. Not all of us require wall to wall sunshine and 25c to find it enjoyable outside! My rule is if it's comfortable to sit outside in a beer garden, which it was for the weekend, then it's usable.

A fairly standard summer so far although the "summery" and "less summery" bits have been in large blocks rather than mixed. The first half of summer was very good for southern England.

A peculiar month stats wise for southern England. Sunshine around average, temperatures slightly above, with rainfall well above average.

I agree Nick,this Summer has turned out to be very nice weather wise,usable weather not to hot,yes rain at times but far from a washout,fresh cooling breeze, so can't complain at all.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

I agree Nick,this Summer has turned out to be very nice weather wise,usable weather not to hot,yes rain at times but far from a washout,fresh cooling breeze, so can't complain at all.:)

If the GEFS's ensembles from the last 3-4 runs are on to something, then "fresh" isn't the word I'll be using lol. A few are toying with what looks to my untrained eye like a spanish plume type scenario.

28 days until the end of meteorological summer, and it can't come soon enough. Once the equinox is reached we *should* be home and dry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
10 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yes it's been good. Haven't used the air con all that much we bought, no doubt if I didn't buy one we would have had a scorching 1995 summer! Nothing fun about waking up in a pool of sweat most mornings. Autumn just around the corner now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I've been loving the weather of the last couple of weeks. Very fresh and breezy, with some lovely cloudscapes. And we've had so much drizzle over the last few days, it's been wonderful. I can't even remember the last drizzly spell. If the rest of August was like this I'd be very happy indeed.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

German beer as it happens. Can't complain at 0.29 a can.

Not a hint of freshness (that can wait until autumn). Loving it!

• Like 1

Posted

Even with all this low pressure around sunshine and temperature have been in the normal range here for the first 4 days. This could be a much better month than I first thought.

Posted

I have just  watched the BBC outlook again  :D honestly no idea why they have to mention the word no heatwave in their forecasts??to let the good old british public know??I think its pretty obvious the Atlantic  based set up  as finished any hope of  any prolonged warm spell  now for another year.. NOW  all we can hope for. Is that we get some dry days...Maybe  4/5  before the end of August would be nice...or maybe  2 days I would settle for a day where It doesn't rain

Edited by weatherguru14

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A touch of frost in the glens tonight.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Polar Maritime said:

A touch of frost in the glens tonight.

We fell to 8c overnight, a few stations fell to 6c nearby and forecast to be cooler so poss 4/5c tonight in the usual hollows across North Yorkshire. 

Wasn't it last August when there was a widespread air frost across parts of Scotland?