Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

30 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Guess wind and rain are going to be the order of the day from now  on.. Just wish one year we had such a good summer  people wouldn't complain for the next  5 years.. that may never happen again though.

Got a feeling next week will drowned fields and flooded streets on the news ,what a jaffa cakes poor outlook :nonono:

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Got a feeling next week will drowned fields and flooded streets on the news ,what a jaffa cakes poor outlook :nonono:

Oh  well It would be nice if it rained Jaffa cakes and  Yoyos.. remember them?? same as vicounts but larger.. same green foil though..Use to love them

Posted
On 22/07/2017 at 13:23, GRHinPorts said:

Wow! Im really surprised to see how low the Manchester Summer Index is in your signature. I view anything as under 200 as being poor as indeed I think  all the summers 2007-2012 were. Down here on the south coast I would think our index would be significantly higher. Although it is currently rather poor I would say up to the half way point this Summer has to certainly be seen as above average.

I don't know how much rain you have had on the south coast this summer but believe it or not June and July are wetter than average for England and Wales. I don't think it has been a terrible summer so far but to hear Michael Holding, the West Indian cricketer and commentator for Sky saying this has been the best summer he's experienced here since 1976 is laughable. He was here in 2003 and 2006, he played for Windies in the UK in 1984.

In the North West I'd say we've had a slightly better July than we had last year, with a bit more improvement on 2015. But it isn't hard considering both July 2015 and July 2016 were rather poor months (each with an intense but short hot spell). Compared to last year I'd say the only noticeable July improvement is the sunshine total, but this still feels less than the sunshine we had in May and June.

A good way off 2006, '13 and '14 but better than 2007-09 and 2011, '12 and '15. I'd rank this as similar to 2010 and last year, albeit slightly better. There were comparisons with 1995 towards the end of June, I guess one similarity is a lack of thunder!

Edited by Philipsfd

19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its about to go rapidly downhill..

Dont know what it about August..we cant seem to buy a decent August anymore..

Last year was fairly decent to be fair...2007, 2009 and 2013 were ok too I guess.

Edited by Philipsfd

Posted
38 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Most people know last August was very good.. Just people with a negative   biased view  always look on the bad side..

Completely agree! The best in quite a while here, maybe since 1995. The only 2 to rival it was 2003 and 2005. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
3 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

Most people know last August was very good.. Just people with a negative   biased view  always look on the bad side..

Many of the Summer fans on here think every Summer since 2006 has been atrocious. The expectations from some on here are idiotic at times.

3 hours ago, Matthew. said:

Completely agree! The best in quite a while here, maybe since 1995. The only 2 to rival it was 2003 and 2005. 

I wouldn't go that far in terms of the North West. Last August was decent here, again with one short hot spell around 23rd-24. The rest of the month was a mixture of fairly warm and sunny days here and there, interspersed with a fair number of dull days (the first week and then the run up to the Bank Holiday weekend were good example of this) and a couple of absolute stinkers (19th-20th).

I'd rank it with 2013 for recent years. As I say I also remember 2007 and 2009 both having a reasonable August.

Posted
56 minutes ago, Philipsfd said:

I wouldn't go that far in terms of the North West. Last August was decent here, again with one short hot spell around 23rd-24. The rest of the month was a mixture of fairly warm and sunny days here and there, interspersed with a fair number of dull days (the first week and then the run up to the Bank Holiday weekend were good example of this) and a couple of absolute stinkers (19th-20th).

I'd rank it with 2013 for recent years. As I say I also remember 2007 and 2009 both having a reasonable August.

Fair point here. 2007 and 2013 good here but not as 2016 was. Nothing exceptional like 1995 because that was in a league of its own lightyears away.

Edited by Matthew.

Posted
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

Many of the Summer fans on here think every Summer since 2006 has been atrocious. The expectations from some on here are idiotic at times.

Yes totally.. I actually thought last year was decent enough.. this summer as promised so much.. just to many inconsistent days to be classed as a good summer (in my location).But like you say the expectations of our climate is placed to high..Some comments like   "second half of the summer  looking  like  1995" and  then a few days later  its bye bye  summer 2017 nice knowing you etc.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

This summers been poor ,only have  look at hours on sump pump in workshop :nonono:

Is this based on the last weeks weather or do you keep weather records for the full 8 weeks? I can only speak for my area but poor is well out of context as this has been a reasonable summer, just slightly below par up to now. The only poor summer I can think of recently is 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The first third of summer here was very good. A number of hot days, quite sunny and not much rain. Best June for temperatures since 1976, apparently. Most welcome after the hideous June of last year (dullest on record). However, summer really has crashed and burned big time since the thunderstorms of 2 weeks ago, dreadful weather that looks to continue for a good week longer, completely ruining what should be the warmest time of the year. Hopefully, conditions will dramatically improve in August, nationwide. Last August was good here but decent Augusts generally have become rare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Still waiting for a lengthy settled spell here this summer. Sunshine levels seem to be decreasing too as July trundles on. August has a lot of lost time to make up for.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yet another dreadful day here, howling winds, grey skies with spots of rain in the wind and a pathetic 18C. Utter crapola but at least no drought worries after all the rain and plant life has bounced back from looking a bit stressed. Enough though now, need some sun and warmth again.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Yet another dreadful day here, howling winds, grey skies with spots of rain in the wind and a pathetic 18C. Utter crapola but at least no drought worries after all the rain and plant life has bounced back from looking a bit stressed. Enough though now, need some sun and warmth again.

Don't worry September is only 1 month and 3 days away. July looks like its going to scrape average sunshine here which I didn't think was going to happen a few days ago. Temperatures may a touch low on afternoon but a touch above on the mornings. Between the hours of 8am -8pm here's the order of the sunniest month to the least sunniest since March- 1.May 2. April 3. March 4. July 5. June

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Just noticed a couple of Rowan trees near my house have leaves which are showing signs of turning! Seems early. We had a good April and May but it has been well....patchy since.

Can't think it's over watering from the rain that's causing the leaf turn.