Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Also, I work in customer service...the amount of glum faces I saw during the spell last week was telling. My dad noticed the same thing. So many people were complaining about the heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

How is 30+C 'warm' IIRC the Metoffice classify 28C as 'hot' and you'd think they'd be experts on the matter.

Hot relative to the UK average, not in absolute terms. A lot of people won't find 30C hot.

Also, I work in customer service...the amount of glum faces I saw during the spell last week was telling. My dad noticed the same thing. So many people were complaining about the heat.

Everyone on here has anecdotes to support what they're saying. Quite frankly it is very tiresome.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Hot relative to the UK average, not in absolute terms. A lot of people won't find 30C hot.

Fair enough.

I just know I was quite poorly after struggling through a 9 hour shift on the Monday last week. Completely drained. The weather can do as it pleases, for all I care, when I'm off work though.

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

How is 30+C 'warm' IIRC the Metoffice classify 28C as 'hot' and you'd think they'd be experts on the matter.

Like I said, the feeling is subjective. The Met Office only have official definitions because they have to draw the line somewhere - but that line will always be arbitrary. Personally I'd call 30C+ hot but not stupidly hot. You're entitled to think otherwise, but that doesn't mean you should use your own personal experience of the weather to assume how others live. It's like people in winter who assume you never need to leave the house if you like snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
2 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Fair enough, I love the cold too I really loved the spell in 2010 when it felt like the cold was attacking your face when you walked outside . I know that's more dangerous and really understand when people say why they don't want that but I like a coldie fix more than heat . I'm not saying I would like to experience brutal cold I think one or two have mentioned before they would . -5 days would be sufficient in an ideal word , yes I'm a bit of a nutter .

That was the year I had to hike for the shopping on foot because lo and behold; the transport network was crippled with knee-deep snow. Won't want to do that again!

6-10c in the winter is ideal; cold but just warm enough to melt ice. A lot of old people are uneasy on it with walking sticks etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

People moan whatever the weather , I saw lots of happy people in London , although on the trains is a totally different story . Not nice , not nice at all . But a punishment that's worth it . :shok:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Same here, humidity was generally rather low with the heat so it wasn't  too uncomfortable. Often we get high humidity here in summer which isn't so pleasant when it's hot (but nice when cooler). Was a bit hot in the bedroom/upstairs but I slept fine with a fan on and the window wide open. 

There might be some heat indicated in some model runs but it usually gets downgraded, so no point worrying about it just yet. I will welcome it of course. The rain today has also been very welcome, felt fresh and will give everything a needed drink.

Hope it does get downgraded and we can get some more warm weather. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
4 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

That was the year I had to hike for the shopping on foot because lo and behold; the transport network was crippled with knee-deep snow. Won't want to do that again!

6-10c in the winter is ideal; cold but just warm enough to melt ice. A lot of old people are uneasy on it with walking sticks etc.

I'm a supermarket manager , so when snow is forecast it fills me with excitement but then dread , I want copious amounts of snow but then realise Its me that's snookered if we do get pasted  . In the heat it seems a win , win situation at least at first  but it becomes very difficult within time . Fridge breakdowns , demands over stretching system capabilities etc . 

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
2 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

I'm a supermarket manager , so when snow is forecast it fills me with excitement but then dread , I want copious amounts of snow . In the heat it seems a win , win situation at least at first  but it becomes very difficult within time . Fridge breakdowns , demands over stretching system capabilities etc . 

CpWYfeyWEAAXgJl.jpg

Posted
24 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

I'm a supermarket manager , so when snow is forecast it fills me with excitement but then dread , I want copious amounts of snow but then realise Its me that's snookered if we do get pasted  . In the heat it seems a win , win situation at least at first  but it becomes very difficult within time . Fridge breakdowns , demands over stretching system capabilities etc . 

Hahaha I know all about fridge breakdowns! Oh and nothing left on the pop shelves!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

This time tomorrow, I think many will be saying come back summer, if you think today was poor, tomorrow looks abysmal for many especially northern england, some places will struggle to hit 13 degrees under persistant heavy rain and strong east wind - will feel more like October! than late June. It always surprises me to think we can get colder days in the height of summer than in December when the tropical SW wind rages strong! - maxes of 15 degrees easily achieved..

Thank heavens those 15C temps in winter are about as common as 30C in the summer. I'd imagine this setup in winter would be ushering in excitement of evaporative cooling and daytime temps between 0-5C.

Posted

The GFS charts have been hinting at something better as we head into July.. hinting and It actually happening are 2 different things.. fingers crossed though. Because the weather  outside right now   is SHOCKING..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm personally enjoying the rain. Change of scenery!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes I'm another that's not complaining, Much fresher for sleeping.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Now I could be wrong here... But I do get the feeling that the pattern for this summer seems to be, ultra and unbearably hot stifling conditions, followed by a week of Atlantic driven low pressure systems that wouldn't look out of place in November, followed by another week of fine sunny and normal temperatures, before going back to hot and sultry. 
Now as I say, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a very similar pattern for the summer of 1989 (from a totally IMBY perspective). :pardon:

I just hope that the next hot and humid spell doesn't suffer from the same capping problems as the last one, (now I was very lucky and got a small storm, but a lot weren't) and that everyone (including me) can get a decent thunderstorm or three out of it. :bomb::)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not complaining about the rain today as the grass around here is about 80% brown. Most of it also came overnight.  Wouldn't want too much of this weather though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I just hope we all get a thorough soaking before the hot weather returns...

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Now I could be wrong here... But I do get the feeling that the pattern for this summer seems to be, ultra and unbearably hot stifling conditions, followed by a week of Atlantic driven low pressure systems that wouldn't look out of place in November, followed by another week of fine sunny and normal temperatures, before going back to hot and sultry. 
Now as I say, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a very similar pattern for the summer of 1989 (from a totally IMBY perspective). :pardon:

I just hope that the next hot and humid spell doesn't suffer from the same capping problems as the last one, (now I was very lucky and got a small storm, but a lot weren't) and that everyone (including me) can get a decent thunderstorm or three out of it. :bomb::)

You were so lucky to get that small storm last week! It was shocking here, a hot sticky day with a (non thundery) 10 minute shower which was followed by a stickily uncomfortable night. Most people at work looked tired the next day with no sleep.

The ECM is showing an unsettled theme for next week which is a change from yesterday's runs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
7 minutes ago, karyo said:

You were so lucky to get that small storm last week! It was shocking here, a hot sticky day with a (non thundery) 10 minute shower which was followed by a stickily uncomfortable night. Most people at work looked tired the next day with no sleep.

The ECM is showing an unsettled theme for next week which is a change from yesterday's runs.

I've got to be honest, I was fully prepared to call last Wednesday a huge bust, having had many, many experiences of hot and humid with nothing afterwards... And then out of nowhere, that small storm appeared :yahoo:
Persoanlly I think that the ECM might be a bit off the mark on this... Yeah, ok, we've got this concrete grey, dampness for the rest of the week, but I personally don't think next week will be too bad @karyo :good:
You watch, now I've openly said that! Lol :wallbash::laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

As of 1pm, the temperature is a mere 11C with heavy rain - we have had 25mm so far.

No way do I believe anyone actually 'enjoys' weather like this in the middle of summer. It's one of those days were you just want to stay in bed.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
26 minutes ago, cheese said:

As of 1pm, the temperature is a mere 11C with heavy rain - we have had 25mm so far.

No way do I believe anyone actually 'enjoys' weather like this in the middle of summer. It's one of those days were you just want to stay in bed.

Wow, that's awful! Thought the 17C in my area was bad...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, cheese said:

I enjoy weather like this when its my day off like today, haven't got out of bed yet.

But if I was at work, or had stuff to do then yes I would not enjoy it.

Same as you here cheese, currently 10.9c with a NNE wind gusting to 25mph and a apparent temp of 7c.

Just hit 20mm of rain since midnight, can hear the wind howling against the windows and down the chimneys, very much winter like, in fact I think we had many winter days that were warmer than today.