Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 26/06/2017 at 20:40, Nick L said:

The expectations of summer in here really do baffle me. We had the longest run of June days with maximum temps of 30c or above since 76 and that's still not good enough?

Even since the hot spell, the weather has been very useable around these parts at least. The final few days will be a bit soggy but so far it's been a dry month down here. Only an inch of rain or so.

Agree Nick.

Since that horrid heat ended it has been lovely. Seeing heat being picked up again by the models fills me with actual dread. I just cannot hack it. I was all for the hot spell just gone originally, I had a positive mindset and was determined to enjoy it. Alas I had a horrid time mauling about in work and couldn't sleep at night due to my room being an inferno. I was starting to get really miserable with it by the end of the spell and it had made me ill. I do not wish for a repeat at all.

I can only assume that these people who champion stupidly hot weather don't actually have to go to work, or if they do, work in a nicely air conditioned office?

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Agree Nick.

Since that horrid heat ended it has been lovely. Seeing heat being picked up again by the models fills me with actual dread. I just cannot hack it. I was all for the hot spell just gone originally, I had a positive mindset and was determined to enjoy it. Alas I had a horrid time mauling about in work and couldn't sleep at night due to my room being an inferno. I was starting to get really miserable with it by the end of the spell and it had made me ill. I do not wish for a repeat at all.

I can only assume that these people who champion stupidly hot weather don't actually have to go to work, or if they do, work in a nicely air conditioned office?

I work with machinery which runs at 1200C and had to lug gas cylinders around during the last hot spell, it didn't bother me at all and the warm nights again I just got used to it. It is wierd to say it but the heat bothers me less than the cold, though the cold can be remedied by wearing more layers.

Nice to see a drier and warmer trend developing again, days like today are dreadful with a cold easterly wind and heavy rain, not pleasant even if we do need the rain. Hopefully there might be a few flashes of lightning tonight but I am not holdingmy breath.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I work with machinery which runs at 1200C and had to lug gas cylinders around during the last hot spell, it didn't bother me at all and the warm nights again I just got used to it. It is wierd to say it but the heat bothers me less than the cold, though the cold can be remedied by wearing more layers.

Nice to see a drier and warmer trend developing again, days like today are dreadful with a cold easterly wind and heavy rain, not pleasant even if we do need the rain. Hopefully there might be a few flashes of lightning tonight but I am not holdingmy breath.

The most disappointing aspect so far is a complete lack of convective weather here. I can stand a few days of hot temperatures if there is a good storm in the offing but I haven't even had that! 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

This time tomorrow, I think many will be saying come back summer, if you think today was poor, tomorrow looks abysmal for many especially northern england, some places will struggle to hit 13 degrees under persistant heavy rain and strong east wind - will feel more like October! than late June. It always surprises me to think we can get colder days in the height of summer than in December when the tropical SW wind rages strong! - maxes of 15 degrees easily achieved..

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

This time tomorrow, I think many will be saying come back summer, if you think today was poor, tomorrow looks abysmal for many especially northern england, some places will struggle to hit 13 degrees under persistant heavy rain and strong east wind - will feel more like October! than late June. It always surprises me to think we can get colder days in the height of summer than in December when the tropical SW wind rages strong! - maxes of 15 degrees easily achieved..

Personally I will be making the most of tomorrow.

The ground around here is rock hard. We've barely had any rain at all since the weather broke at the back end of last week.

Will be interesting to see the anomaly maps at the end of the month as I suspect here will show up as below average, even if surrounding areas are average or just above.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Agree Nick.

Horrid day today, wet and cool, worse tomorrow. High of 13C possible. I get not liking heat but can anyone really claim to like that kind of weather?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

Horrid day today, wet and cool, worse tomorrow. High of 13C possible. I get not liking heat but can anyone really claim to like that kind of weather?

I've not seen proper rain here in yonks. The ground is still baked from last week's heat. It's solid. 

As the summer progresses and the days shorten the heat seems to bother me less. Last week was too intense for me however, with the sun being so strong (around the longest day).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

1975:yahoo:

Posted
1 minute ago, ANYWEATHER said:

1975:yahoo:

That's about the number of hours until the equinox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

Latest model runs filling me with dread again. Why can't we get sunshine with comfortable temps? Its why I despise summer. In the spring/autumn/winter you can have high pressure without heat. Not so in the summer it seems; we have to have rain in order to keep the temps under control. Roll on Autumn. Only 64 days to go. Almost 1/3 down.

Edited by Ice Man 85
more to add
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

I won't be. If we can't have HP without heat, it can rain all it wants.

• Like 1

Posted

To be fair its not just summer that gets ruined by an active Jet stream.. its all year around.Our only hope in the UK is that one year   the jet happens to be in agood position long enough to give us a decent summer..Right now  instead of it shifting north its actually going even more south..we are on the wrong side of it..

Posted
2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

To be fair its not just summer that gets ruined by an active Jet stream.. its all year around.Our only hope in the UK is that one year   the jet happens to be in agood position long enough to give us a decent summer..Right now  instead of it shifting north its actually going even more south..we are on the wrong side of it..

I know what  a northern jet stream can do this time of year. I can happily stay where it is.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
13 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Latest model runs filling me with dread again. Why can't we get sunshine with comfortable temps? Its why I despise summer. In the spring/autumn/winter you can have high pressure without heat. Not so in the summer it seems; we have to have rain in order to keep the temps under control. Roll on Autumn. Only 64 days to go. Almost 1/3 down.

Blimey Ice Man you really do like a good old moan , now I like 22c 23c 24c 25c but if you want a good old BBQ etc it's nice to have a spurt of heat you can then comfortably go to the beach , swim in the sea jump in a cold pool of course not all possible if your working but the chances are you'll get some time off in a week long heatwave like we've just had to enjoy the advantages of a heatwave , each to there own of course but can't we all just sacrifice a few days of hot weather to those that like it , any way I hope you enjoy the deluge this week , as I say each to there own .

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark wheeler said:

Blimey Ice Man you really do like a good old moan , now I like 22c 23c 24c 25c but if you want a good old BBQ etc it's nice to have a spurt of heat , each to there own of course but can't we all just sacrifice a few days of hot weather to those that like it , any way I hope you enjoy the deluge this week , as I say each to there own .

Clearly you didn't read my post. I'm not a fan of rain either, but I'd take it over last week's oppressive muck any day of the week.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Clearly you didn't read my post. I'm not a fan of rain either, but I'd take it over last week's oppressive muck any day of the week.

Nope read your post , I'd rather a heatwave to this horrid weather , it's  depressing , no sunlight etc 

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
1 minute ago, weatherguru14 said:

last weeks weather I didn't find oppressive at all. I found it very pleasant indeed.. yesterday was a decent day. today felt muggy.. shamed it rained most of the day though.

Then you have a higher tolerance for heat than I do. Personally 27c days with 18c nights is not pleasant. 22/14 much more like it.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mark wheeler said:

Nope read your post , I'd rather a heatwave to this horrid weather , it depressing , no sunlight etc 

To each their own. Personally I'm not a fan of either extreme.

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Wrong and wrong.

People simply have different preferences and tolerances. What you call "stupidly hot weather" others might call "warm".

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, AderynCoch said:

Wrong and wrong.

People simply have different preferences and tolerances. What you call "stupidly hot weather" others might call "warm".

How is 30+C 'warm' IIRC the Metoffice classify 28C as 'hot' and you'd think they'd be experts on the matter.

• Like 2

Posted

I probably have a higher tolerance to heat.. In recent memory the only time I have felt uncomfortable was  3 days in early  July 2015 I think it was..It felt like someone had opened an oven door.. 2015 was a poor summer over al though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

last weeks weather I didn't find oppressive at all. I found it very pleasant indeed.. yesterday was a decent day. today felt muggy.. shamed it rained most of the day though.

Same here, humidity was generally rather low with the heat so it wasn't  too uncomfortable. Often we get high humidity here in summer which isn't so pleasant when it's hot (but nice when cooler). Was a bit hot in the bedroom/upstairs but I slept fine with a fan on and the window wide open. 

There might be some heat indicated in some model runs but it usually gets downgraded, so no point worrying about it just yet. I will welcome it of course. The rain today has also been very welcome, felt fresh and will give everything a needed drink.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

To each their own. Personally I'm not a fan of either extreme.

Fair enough, I love the cold too I really loved the spell in 2010 when it felt like the cold was attacking your face when you walked outside . I know that's more dangerous and really understand when people say why they don't want that but I like a coldie fix more than heat . I'm not saying I would like to experience brutal cold I think one or two have mentioned before they would . -5 days would be sufficient in an ideal word with snow of course , yes I'm a bit of a nutter .

Edited by Mark wheeler