Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not too bad today a lot more sunshine than expected yes it's breezy but the strong sunshine is helping to keep it feeling warm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Eh what's so gorgeous about it? Another cloud fest how depressing at least with the heat we had the sun. Roll on the next heatwave I say it was definitely manageable says a person from an inner London borough, nights however I struggled a cold shower before bed was my antidote. Your body over time does build a tolerance 25C has never felt so cool particularly when at the climax of the heat it was that temperature at midnight. Models aren't inspiring can we fastfoward out of this? 

Warm sunny spells out this way and it feels really pleasant outside, less of a breeze than yesterday too. 

And remember that regular heatwaves are not a summer norm, I feel there are some rose-tinted specs from some when it comes to expectations of summer. We see exactly the same with expecting deep cold every winter too.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted

Widely 23-25c across southern/eastern England today, not too shabby.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Average temps of around 22/23C here today, felt ok as not too windy but very gloomy. A horrid November-like cloudfest all day until sunset of course, when the skies magically cleared completely. Next hot sunny spell, please, this crap is boring me already.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
On 2017-6-24 at 17:49, Don said:

It's been plenty warm enough down here today.

And another fairly nice day yesterday once showers cleared. In a beer garden most of the afternoon :D

Certainly less useable weather for much of the next week, but as a weather fan it will be nice to have a change of scenery.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Much enjoying the cooler nights and more pleasant days now, this morning we had a low of 5.8c and nearby frost hollow in Yorkshire Wolds fell to 3.7c.

Now its 19c with light winds which is absolutely perfect for outdoor activities. 

Looking forward to the much needed rain this week, then a return to high pressure with cool nights and warm days as we head into July please.

• Like 3

Posted

June as been poor to average for most of the UK. the very hot spell recently will get mentioned more than the rest of the month as a whole. Not looking great at all for the rest of the week.

So far  summer 2017 as been distinctly null and void.

Its only the  2 weeks in the second of May that's keeping most of us in a less  than negative mood.. otherwise without that.. we would be on the lines of  summer likes 2010/2012.

I know May is not strictly a summer month.. But we did get summer like conditions.There is talk  of the weather improving as we go into  July.. Just how long will it take?.

Posted

The expectations of summer in here really do baffle me. We had the longest run of June days with maximum temps of 30c or above since 76 and that's still not good enough?

Even since the hot spell, the weather has been very useable around these parts at least. The final few days will be a bit soggy but so far it's been a dry month down here. Only an inch of rain or so.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

June has been very good here in terms of temperatures.  It looks like it'll end with below average sun though.

My expectations for a summer are just for an average one, and anything warmer is better.

Average being: 21c June, 24c July, 23c August.  200+ hrs sunshine in each summer month, 6-7 rain days each summer month.  Roughly 30 days of 25c+, and 4-5 days of 30c+.  That shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The expectations of summer in here really do baffle me. We had the longest run of June days with maximum temps of 30c or above since 76 and that's still not good enough?

Even since the hot spell, the weather has been very useable around these parts at least. The final few days will be a bit soggy but so far it's been a dry month down here. Only an inch of rain or so.

Its always a case of perspective, the SE has done very well this June both in terms of high temperatures, and also in terms of sunshine levels, and a long number of rainless days, Scotland, N Ireland, far north of England less so, with a poor wet start, lots of cloud, temps closer to average, the heat never penetrated Scotland and N Ireland to any degree. Here we managed five days on the trot with maxes in the 24-27 degree range, very good for June, but not exceptional. Since Thursday its been fairly cloudy temps close to average, the end of June looks poor though - so overall June 2017 for many in the north will rank as average at best despite the heat of last week. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

June's been good for the most part, but it's going to end on a horrifying note. BBC says Wednesday will have a high of 13C! That's nearly 10 degrees below average! 

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

June's been good for the most part, but it's going to end on a horrifying note. BBC says Wednesday will have a high of 13C! That's nearly 10 degrees below average! 

As I said, depends on where the line is drawn, roughly north of a line from Morecambe Bay to Teeside, then average at best, south, better than average notably more so line south of the Wash to the solent.

Posted

Down here the average high is currently 24.2c, which is 3c above average!  Rainfall has been average, but sunshine looks like it'll come in slightly below average.

Posted

expectation of June is something like 2010/2011 which were good.. even 2013 was decent..  and even first  half June last year..I cant speak for the SE.. But for most of the UK the first 2 weeks of June was rubbish and the last week as well.. You can talk about it being 3c  over the average.. its more than likely way over  the average for England and Wales/ but the amount of dry Sunny days (which is what I count as summer)  as been poor in June from my perspective If we have had  another  5/6 decent days  I would say its been a good summer month.

we have had better Junes in my opinion... And to be honest the first half of July  for  2/3rds of the UK doesn't look good does it? the Jet will be stuck half in half..This isn't a moaning message this is where I try and discuss the weather from my point of view.

Edited by weatherguru14

Posted

Some pretty impressive rainfall totals likely in the southeast over the course of tonight. Euro4 often overcooks things but it does have in excess of 50mm/2 inches locally.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
11 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

expectation of June is something like 2010/2011 which were good.. even 2013 was decent..  and even first  half June last year..I cant speak for the SE.. But for most of the UK the first 2 weeks of June was rubbish and the last week as well.. You can talk about it being 3c  over the average.. its more than likely way over  the average for England and Wales/ but the amount of dry Sunny days (which is what I count as summer)  as been poor in June from my perspective If we have had  another  5/6 decent days  I would say its been a good summer month.

we have had better Junes in my opinion... And to be honest the first half of July  for  2/3rds of the UK doesn't look good does it? the Jet will be stuck half in half..This isn't a moaning message this is where I try and discuss the weather from my point of view.

Do you mean Junes 2009/10? 2011 was an unsettled one, almost a practise for 2012 lol.

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Some pretty impressive rainfall totals likely in the southeast over the course of tonight. Euro4 often overcooks things but it does have in excess of 50mm/2 inches locally.

Crikey, the EC has 70mm! 

Posted

So down here, it looks like the month will close with below average sun hours yet average highs 3c above normal.

When (if ever) was the last time that a summer or warm season month had such a departure from the average high, yet still recorded below average sunshine?  July 2010 was extremely cloudy, though only about 1.5c above average. September 2016 was also cloudy, and 2c above average.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Summer has started on a very warm note here with temps well above average.

The average rainfall here for June is 63mm and we are currently on 59mm with a load of rain forecast tonight and tomorrow so it looks like June will end up being a warm wet month.

Whilst I have no sunshine records here, looking through the daily snapshots I take on my IP cam there looks to be a lot more cloudy images than ones with sunshine.

Edited by vizzy2004

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

Crikey, the EC has 70mm! 

Radar looking very juicy! Typically after I spent 2.5 hours soaking my allotment this morning. Needed a good soak anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Here in Exeter this has been a month of very marked contrasts- we had that exceptional hot and sunny spell from the 17th to 21st, with maxima between 27 and 30C for five consecutive days which is somewhat unusual for Devon, but the early part of the month was dull and wet, and since the 22nd it's been mainly dull with the odd spot of drizzle. 

Funnily enough June 1976 had below average sunshine over much of western and northern Scotland despite the near-nationwide hot sunny spell at the end, but I think we'd be hard pushed to find a summer month for London that had a similarly large temperature deviation but below average sunshine.  It's an oddity that we'll probably see more of as our climate warms. 

Looking further back, the Junes of 1966 and 1982 were warm (but not as warm as this June) but dull and wet for most, although in the case of 1966, Heathrow was one of the few locations in the UK that had slightly above average sunshine.  Those two Junes were also rather different in character to this one, with frequent cyclonic/southerly regimes and a high frequency of thunder.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes despite the warmth between 17-21, it looks like June will go down as a wet cloudy one which is a rather odd combination - we've had little in the way of proper high pressure, or clearer polar airstreams, hence the reason for the dullness, different to May in this respect. Not a fan of warm wet dull summer months, rather have average drier sunnier conditions, especially in June and July under clear skies and sunshine it always feels warm especially without any wind.  The wind has been another feature of the month, first half was dominated by a nagging stiff westerly breeze here.