Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Nick L said:

Spot on. I don't have a medical condition but I simply plain do no like heat. I don't know why that's so controversial and infuriating to the heat lovers on here.

It's perfectly acceptable to not enjoy heat, I personally have no problem or controversy with that at all. It's the constant updates of misery every 10 minutes by many on here that I find a bit depressing and annoying, especially when suggestions given on staying cool are ignored or petulantly dismissed. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
41 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm 25 Pete, I've always bloody hated hot weather :D

You are not alone in your dislike, Nick; my 9-year-old grandson can't stand it either...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

Genuinely glad you got to enjoy the recent hot weather stainesbloke but being so sarcastic about those who genuinely don't enjoy the heat as much as you is not particularly friendly from where I sit.  Firstly intense heat such as we have experienced over the last few days causes some real issues for people who suffer from a range of medical conditions, in particular those making breathing difficult, so spare a thought for them struggling to breathe in such intense heat and secondly Kuwait, unless I'm mistaken, is a country well geared up for heat so is able to cope. 

does the discomfort of others due to the heat apply to those who like cold and snow too?... i just notice heat-haters are bringing this up time and time again, as if we are supposed to be guilty for wanting and liking heat? but it cuts both ways, extreme cold causes problems too.. i bet you heat haters arent so vocal then...

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Spot on. I don't have a medical condition but I simply plain do no like heat. I don't know why that's so controversial and infuriating to the heat lovers on here.

maybe because youre very vocal about it? and it comes across as trying to spoil the party? a party we dont get very often at all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Personally, my ideal temperature is around 23-24C, and I'd be happy with that for most of the summer - however, I do enjoy occasional heatwaves, and would be disappointed if we didn't have another period of heat this summer.

And yes, the constant 'I hate heat' posts are rather tiresome. Similar posts in winter regarding cold are not tolerated by many people - cold lovers on here can be pretty unpleasant to anyone who prefers mild weather, and I know I'm not the only person who has noticed that.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

does the discomfort of others due to the heat apply to those who like cold and snow too?... i just notice heat-haters are bringing this up time and time again, as if we are supposed to be guilty for wanting and liking heat? but it cuts both ways, extreme cold causes problems too.. i bet you heat haters arent so vocal then...

Can't see anywhere where I'm trying to make anyone feel quilty about anything to be honest.....

Edited by Snowycat

Posted

Gotta say we have the most annoying climate on the planet. you can have  a heatwave followed by  way below temperatures  for long periods. freezing out there this evening.. waittttt  we are back the "cool" scenario

Posted

Mentioning warm vs cold lovers.. I don't mind either. Its nice  having  cold clear mornings in the winter with frost on the ground and its nice sitting in the  garden on a summer evening. what I hate is usual climate with gusts of NW that bring in heavy showers.. we get this kind of weather all year around. Its not good to anyone.

It ruins summers and winters!. I hope the West/NW  winds aren't prolonged this year again. or we can kiss goodbye to yet another  worth while summer.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
10 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

Mentioning warm vs cold lovers.. I don't mind either. Its nice  having  cold clear mornings in the winter with frost on the ground and its nice sitting in the  garden on a summer evening. what I hate is usual climate with gusts of NW that bring in heavy showers.. we get this kind of weather all year around. Its not good to anyone.

It ruins summers and winters!. I hope the West/NW  winds aren't prolonged this year again. or we can kiss goodbye to yet another  worth while summer.  

Wet and windy is not my summer preference. Sunny and 20-25c is absolutely fine by me. Easily warm enough to sit outside but not so warm that it's uncomfortable. 

But if it is a choice between temperatures in the 30s and wet and windy, the latter wins my vote. I can't really do much outside in either but at least I can sleep at night.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 5

Posted
13 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Can't see anywhere where I'm trying to make anyone feel quilty about anything to be honest.....

try "  Firstly intense heat such as we have experienced over the last few days causes some real issues for people who suffer from a range of medical conditions, in particular those making breathing difficult, so spare a thought for them struggling to breathe in such intense heat"

now you might not have meant to sound like you were guilt tripping heat lovers, but thats how it reads...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lol, reading this thread recently has just like being back in winter. Remember people, in the same way that people liking or hating cold has no effect on what the weather actually does, neither does hating or loving the heat.

Heat lovers shouldn't feel guilty about the problems others suffer from due to the hot weather as they haven't caused the hot weather through some sort of mass telekinesis. Same with those of us who love cold and snow shouldn't be guilty if somebody falls and breaks a leg on a patch of ice. Just go with the flow and enjoy your preferred weather whilst you can because 90% of the time in the UK it's weather nobody likes.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
26 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

try "  Firstly intense heat such as we have experienced over the last few days causes some real issues for people who suffer from a range of medical conditions, in particular those making breathing difficult, so spare a thought for them struggling to breathe in such intense heat"

now you might not have meant to sound like you were guilt tripping heat lovers, but thats how it reads...

Grow up....

• Like 3

Posted
51 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Grow up....

No need for that whatsoever. Rob was merely pointing out that your post could be interpreted in a different way than intended.

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

Wet and windy is not my summer preference. Sunny and 20-25c is absolutely fine by me. Easily warm enough to sit outside but not so warm that it's uncomfortable. 

But if it is a choice between temperatures in the 30s and wet and windy, the latter wins my vote. I can't really do much outside in either but at least I can sleep at night.

that's something that rarely happens. Well  late  August early September seems to be a settled spell that we have low 20s  and sunshine.. Usually July In particular  is either hot like 2013/14.. or cold like  the last 2  Julys. same can be said for summers in the UK. I would love 2/3 week of  22c/23c.. doesn't happen.. its either  14c15c.. or  27/28c

Edited by weatherguru14

Posted
7 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

that's something that rarely happens. Well  late  August early September seems to be a settled spell that we have low 20s  and sunshine.. Usually July In particular  is either hot like 2013/14.. or cold like  the last 2  Julys. same can be said for summers in the UK. I would love 2/3 week of  22c/23c.. doesn't happen.. its either  14c15c.. or  27/28c

Exactly, and that's why I'm not a fan of summer. Today is actually very pleasant, if a bit on the windy side. I love warm spells in spring, they're perfect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well I, for one, am looking forward to the upcoming two weeks: never too hot and never too cold; sometimes coldish uppers, suggesting some reasonable storm chances, given sufficent insolation; reasonable amount of sunshine, so not feeling too chilly; and, of course, some much-needed rain for the gardens...

What's not to like? Dons flak jacket!:D

Edit: PS: one or too mini-plumes might also affect the South and East of England?

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
9 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

Quite a lot of the south gets many weeks of 22/23........ 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
18 minutes ago, March said:

Quite a lot of the south gets many weeks of 22/23........ 

Yeah, take last July for example, which had very average temps.

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=7&annee=2016

Days under 20c: 3 (lowest 19.2c)

Days 20.0-24.9c: 19

Days 25.0-29.9c: 7

Days 30c+: 2 (highest 33.2c)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

That's similar to here though. In both July and August last year, a majority of our days had highs between 20 and 25C. Last July wasn't cold either, it was extremely average.

And, perhaps more importantly, not a single day had a high anywhere near 14 or 15C. :rolleyes: It's much more normal to get large positive anomalies in summer than negative ones. A high of 30C in July here would be like a high of 12C in the opposite direction, and I don't know if we've even had a high that cold in July or August before.

Indeed, the UK as a whole has pretty high record temperatures in summer relative to average. Kind of like Melbourne has record highs of 45C but average highs of 25C in their warmest month.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

When I was little I believed that I hated hot weather, and everybody seemed to be going on about how 30C was bliss, and nowadays I welcome heat in brief doses and lots of people say this is selfish because of the misery and inconvenience that it causes.  You just can't win sometimes! 

I generally find low 20s most comfortable (high teens are also fine if it's sunny and not too windy) but welcome short spells of high 20s and even low 30s mainly for variety and novelty value.  I must admit that this recent heatwave got a bit too much for me after the first few days, the main problem being the duration, which was the longest in June since the very famous one in 1976.

As for the upcoming spell of weather, I don't think it will be a washout, with fronts moving across the country relatively infrequently, but it may well turn out persistently cloudy for many.  Probably a bit dreich in the north at times but with comfortable temperatures in the south.

• Like 1

Posted

Gorgeous day today!

Posted
27 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Gorgeous day today!

Eh what's so gorgeous about it? Another cloud fest how depressing at least with the heat we had the sun. Roll on the next heatwave I say it was definitely manageable says a person from an inner London borough, nights however I struggled a cold shower before bed was my antidote. Your body over time does build a tolerance 25C has never felt so cool particularly when at the climax of the heat it was that temperature at midnight. Models aren't inspiring can we fastfoward out of this? 

• Like 2