Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
37 minutes ago, cheese said:

Well, Heathrow doesn't hold the UK all-time record. It was first held by Cheltenham and now by Faversham in Kent. It doesn't hold the September record either. Or the May record. Or the June record.

I really don't see anything wrong with the Heathrow station. A lot of the time it is the hottest station in the country because it just happens to be located in the warmest part of the country on average in summer. 

You're completely misunderstanding me. I'm talking about Heathrow's readings relative to nearby stations. I thought I was pretty clear about that in my post.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
51 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

You're completely misunderstanding me. I'm talking about Heathrow's readings relative to nearby stations. I thought I was pretty clear about that in my post.

No, I understood what you were saying perfectly fine. I'm just trying to dismiss this idea that Heathrow must be flawed because it is always the hottest station, even though it isn't.

It's not always hotter than the likes of Northolt either. Hampton Water Works and Northolt have both been hotter than Heathrow during this heatwave. It was hotter today, but that isn't proof of anything.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
9 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Our warmest recent summers in the last 40 years or so - 1975, 1976, 1989, 1995, 2003 and 2006 all produced decent heat in June followed by further heat.. We've had summers though such as  1983, 1990 and 2013, 2014 that saw the heat arrive in July bringing 2 week periods of superb summer weather, something not on the cards this June. It is a good omen all the same. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will see further very decent conditions at times during the rest of the summer, but perhaps episodic, not a 1976 or 1995 repeat, the atlantic looks too active this year for that. Southern plumes and azores ridging is not a stable summer pattern as it is indicative of a rather amplified pattern, with rapid exchanges from ridge to trough, as we are about to see, and as we know the atlantic traditionally strengthens as the summer wears on.. 

i agree not a 76, but i wouldnt be surprised if we get something akin to 95...

do you or anybody else know of june heat followed by no more heat?.. widespread i mean because the southeast often gets more heat then the rest of us - and by 'heat' i mean a spell of 25c+  on consecutive days.  i cannot remember it ever happening although 1970 and 1978 had hot spells in may then nothing else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So much less disgusting this morning. No more heatwaves please!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

So much less disgusting this morning. No more heatwaves please!

I agree, the past few days have been unbearable.  I'm also worried it has really knocked my 17-year old cat for six all this heat and it hasn't done me many favours either having to work in an office with no opening windows (other than 2" with a struggle!!) and no air conditioning.  Happy for pleasant summer weather but not the oppressive heat of the last few days.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I agree, the past few days have been unbearable.  I'm also worried it has really knocked my 17-year old cat for six all this heat and it hasn't done me many favours either having to work in an office with no opening windows (other than 2" with a struggle!!) and no air conditioning.  Happy for pleasant summer weather but not the oppressive heat of the last few days.

No need for anything more than low to mid 20s and sunny spells! More than pleasant enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
9 hours ago, cheese said:

No, I understood what you were saying perfectly fine. I'm just trying to dismiss this idea that Heathrow must be flawed because it is always the hottest station, even though it isn't.

It's not always hotter than the likes of Northolt either. Hampton Water Works and Northolt have both been hotter than Heathrow during this heatwave. It was hotter today, but that isn't proof of anything.

Did you though? If I was quite clearly talking about stations nearby to Heathrow then why on Earth did you start talking about national records, and the stations in Cheltenham and Faversham?

As to your second point. I never said that it was always the hottest, just seemingly more often than nearby stations, particularly so during intense heatwaves. I'll reiterate that this is only based on casual observations, and that yes, my memory may be serving me poorly.

As to your final point, I mostly agree with you (I think I knee-jerked a little). But still, for this heatwave, the highest recorded temperature in west London will be Heathrow's.

Posted

great a NW air flow.   will  it ruin the rest of the summer like is does most years?? and no more heatwaves?? so you want it cold? its either  below  average or above in this country. we cant  do average..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
On 22/06/2017 at 00:15, mb018538 said:

Also, I know the LHR weather station gets raised eyebrows a lot of the time:

image8.png

This is where the readings are taken from. Is that really a good spot for a weather station? Surrounded by tarmac and jet engines all day? Obviously the MetO pass it as acceptable, but I've always remained a tad dubious! I guess it's not much worse than some of the urban London locations, but it's hardly a Stevenson Screen in a green field is it? :D

Actually it is a pretty good spot. All those large brown areas are open grass, so it is as close to being 'in a green field' as is possible for here. The weather station is located at the airport central northern boundary, which means it is very exposed, especially to prevailing SW and W winds. Not sure where you think would be more suitable? 

Posted
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

great a NW air flow.   will  it ruin the rest of the summer like is does most years?? and no more heatwaves?? so you want it cold? its either  below  average or above in this country. we cant  do average..

I'd gladly take below average. My summer preference is anything but hot!

• Like 1

Posted

then that doesn't make it a summer? when its below average its no  better than spring or late autumn.. anyone would think we the have hottest country on earth. we very rarely get heatwaves and constant hot. Its nice when people can actually go out in t-shirts and not worry about getting cold with the  nagging wind..

Edited by weatherguru14
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Now this month might not even get average sun, and July is looking terrible before it's even begun.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, B87 said:

Now this month might not even get average sun, and July is looking terrible before it's even begun.

I don't normally agree with you.. But I agree on this June apart form the recent few days of very hot weather. Its not been a great  month over all. as for  further predicting of the weather..You just can do it more than a few days ahead in the UK. I don't know what July will bring  month wise. It may start of poorly in the first week and end up being  a good month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I don't normally agree with you.. But I agree on this June apart form the recent few days of very hot weather. Its not been a great  month over all. as for  further predicting of the weather..You just can do it more than a few days ahead in the UK. I don't know what July will bring  month wise. It may start of poorly in the first week and end up being  a good month.

This June has actually been great here; average high of over 24c (3c above average), and up until now we've had a normal amount of sunshine.  The next week looks like it could ruin the chances to have above average sun in June for the first time since 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

then that doesn't make it a summer? when its below average its no  better than spring or late autumn.. anyone would think we the have hottest country on earth. we very rarely get heatwaves and constant hot. Its nice when people can actually go out in t-shirts and not worry about getting cold with the  nagging wind..

I'm just so glad that all the poor, heat stressed darlings will be able to get a good night's sleep now. Honestly, from all the heart-wrenching and pitiful posts on here lately, one could be forgiven for thinking we were suddenly in Kuwait. Luckily, we didn't have the 54C they had this week, that would have been just unthinkable. I wonder if any Kuwaiti's got any sleep? Not to worry, a good 10 days of cool, howling winds, cloud and damp to come. The fact that any outdoor activities will likely be ruined in high summer is nothing, sleep is so very important, especially when people who moan about the heat won't fork out for air conditioning and leave the rest of us to enjoy SUMMER!

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, B87 said:

This June has actually been great here; average high of over 24c (3c above average), and up until now we've had a normal amount of sunshine.  The next week looks like it could ruin the chances to have above average sun in June for the first time since 2010.

thats where stats can be misleading over all.. Its gonna end up being way over  average for the month,. but when you have  30+c for several days and  unbroken sunshine its going to impact the end results.. I cant  speak  for all of the UK  but the first 2 weeks of June were nothing special at all ,for a lot of us..

in my own head I consider summer on how many summer like days we have had.Today asnt been to bad here. so if I were calculate the amount of what I would consider  summer days in  thos June I would say  around 9 maybe 10 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I'm just so glad that all the poor, heat stressed darlings will be able to get a good night's sleep now. Honestly, from all the heart-wrenching and pitiful posts on here lately, one could be forgiven for thinking we were suddenly in Kuwait. Luckily, we didn't have the 54C they had this week, that would have been just unthinkable. I wonder if any Kuwaiti's got any sleep? Not to worry, a good 10 days of cool, howling winds, cloud and damp to come. The fact that any outdoor activities will likely be ruined in high summer is nothing, sleep is so very important, especially when people who moan about the heat won't fork out for air conditioning and leave the rest of us to enjoy SUMMER!

Genuinely glad you got to enjoy the recent hot weather stainesbloke but being so sarcastic about those who genuinely don't enjoy the heat as much as you is not particularly friendly from where I sit.  Firstly intense heat such as we have experienced over the last few days causes some real issues for people who suffer from a range of medical conditions, in particular those making breathing difficult, so spare a thought for them struggling to breathe in such intense heat and secondly Kuwait, unless I'm mistaken, is a country well geared up for heat so is able to cope. 

• Like 5

Posted
20 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I'm just so glad that all the poor, heat stressed darlings will be able to get a good night's sleep now. 

We appreciate your concern and thank you. 

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

:clap: yay I love SUMMER  would be great if the next  3 months we had a lot more .. 30+c is bit extreme. But  bloody great for paddling pools :yahoo: and to be honest I don't think its been extremely bad to sleep even though its been very hot.. Just my opinion..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

For me, the weather this past week has been far too hot and humid; but, as I can still recall a time when I'd have thought it was the bees knees, I'm happy for all those still young enough to enjoy it...Old farts, who seem to believe they were born as adults really do peace me of; we were all young once?:D

Posted

Summertime, and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
So hush, little baby, don't you cry

One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singing
And you'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky
But till that morning, there ain't nothin' can harm you
With daddy and mammy standin' by

But till…

But till that morning, there ain't nothin' can harm you
With daddy and mammy standin' by

Summertime, and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
So hush, little baby, don't you cry 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Bring it on :D 

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Genuinely glad you got to enjoy the recent hot weather stainesbloke but being so sarcastic about those who genuinely don't enjoy the heat as much as you is not particularly friendly from where I sit.  Firstly intense heat such as we have experienced over the last few days causes some real issues for people who suffer from a range of medical conditions, in particular those making breathing difficult, so spare a thought for them struggling to breathe in such intense heat and secondly Kuwait, unless I'm mistaken, is a country well geared up for heat so is able to cope. 

Wasn't meant to come across as unfriendly, maybe a bit of a poor effort at humour. Absolutely wouldn't want anyone with medical issues to ever needlessly suffer, of course not. But it's all about perspective; so we had a few hot days in a country that is renowned for a generally unpleasantly wet and cold climate. I would sympathise if we had weeks and weeks of extreme heat but 5 days?? I suffer with bad tendonitis and joint pain for a good 6 months of the year and hot weather brings a blessed relief! I know loads of people that hate the crap weather we get most of the time and find winter here a dreadfully depressing time. If people can't sleep in summer etc, for the sake of common sense buy a mobile aircon unit, they are very effective and not expensive. Or at least some fans. Or full on aircon! Then at least one room in the house will be a nice environment for sleeping etc.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Spot on. I don't have a medical condition but I simply plain do no like heat. I don't know why that's so controversial and infuriating to the heat lovers on here.

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

For me, the weather this past week has been far too hot and humid; but, as I can still recall a time when I'd have thought it was the bees knees, I'm happy for all those still young enough to enjoy it...Old farts, who seem to believe they were born as adults really do peace me of; we were all young once?:D

I'm 25 Pete, I've always bloody hated hot weather :D