Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
20 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

A level 3 heatwave alert is now in force for all of England except the north west

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

The heatwave alert is now in operation until 9am Thursday

Posted

The weather company 3 monthly update

North Atlantic Blocking May Limit Potential for 2003 Levels of Heat/Dryness

Andover, MA, 19 June 2017 — For the aggregate July-September period, The Weather Company, an IBM Business, is forecasting above-normal temperatures and below-normal precipitation across most of Europe, with the exception of Scandinavia and northwestern Russia. The warmth and dryness is expected to be especially notable across southern mainland Europe.

“The magnitude of the warmth so far in June has been impressive across much of mainland Europe, with unusually cool temperatures across northwestern Russia,” said Dr. Todd Crawford, chief meteorologist with The Weather Company. “With no significant change apparent for the remainder of June, the odds are increasing that this locks in and becomes the dominant summer pattern going forward. This idea is supported by most of the dynamical and statistical forecast guidance as well. Clearly the early heat and dryness and the expectations of its persistence brings to mind the summer of 2003, and some similarity to that summer is certainly not out of the question this year. The elephant in the room is the potential development of summer blocking in the North Atlantic later in the summer, which would limit the magnitude of heat and dryness across northwestern Europe.”

For the July-September 2017 period, The Weather Company is forecasting the following conditions:

July

Nordic region – Cooler than normal

U.K. – Warmer than normal

Northern Mainland – Generally warmer than normal

Southern Mainland – Generally warmer than normal

August

U.K. – Cooler than normal north, warmer than normal south

Northern Mainland – Warmer than normal, except far north

Southern Mainland – Warmer than normal

September

U.K. – Warmer than normal

Northern Mainland – Warmer than normal

Southern Mainland – Warmer than normal

https://business.weather.com/news/seasonal-outlook-the-weather-company-expects-warm-dry-summer-likely-across-much-of-mainland-europe-1?utm_campaign=&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Posted

Cardiff has recorded it's hottest June day in 22 years

For the UK it will be the first time in over 20 years that somewhere has recorded over 30c for 5 successive days in June 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I have a horrible feeling that this will be the year that 40C is breached somewhere in the UK :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting
25 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I have a horrible feeling that this will be the year that 40C is breached somewhere in the UK :(

Fingers crossed! :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

The last time I can remember concentrated heat like this here in Plymouth was the 1st week of August 1990. Remember being in South Milton and it was 31c. Yesterday was ridiculous in Plymouth even warmer than Zakynthos. And to think I went there last month for my Summer Sun...

I know 1995 was good but not on this scale. Certainly one for the memory this one.

3 hours ago, philglossop said:

The last time I can remember concentrated heat like this here in Plymouth was the 1st week of August 1990. Remember being in South Milton and it was 31c. Yesterday was ridiculous in Plymouth even warmer than Zakynthos. And to think I went there last month for my Summer Sun...

I know 1995 was good but not on this scale. Certainly one for the memory this one.

It feels a bit like the hot spell we had in late June 2005, minus the thunderstorms so far. In fact the month as a whole feels a bit like June '05, with the unsettled first half.

• Like 1

Posted

Parts of Barnet and Berkhamsted have no water due to the hot weather - Affinity Water has apologisedbarnet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Philipsfd said:

It feels a bit like the hot spell we had in late June 2005, minus the thunderstorms so far. In fact the month as a whole feels a bit like June '05, with the unsettled first half.

A brief unsettled period then opened July before another heatwave arrived a week later. Fingers crossed hehe.

1 hour ago, MP-R said:

A brief unsettled period then opened July before another heatwave arrived a week later. Fingers crossed hehe.

Go back another 10 years to '95 and I guess that June wasn't too dissimilar either. A fairly cool and dull first half before the clouds broke at around the 20th/21st and the summer didn't look back.

• Like 1

Posted

It's the hottest June 20th on record Heathrow has reached 32c

The previous record was 31.7c at Camden Square in 1936

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

It's been a great June so far!  The current average high as of today is 24.2c, which is more like a typical July!  The month will probably end up the 2nd or 3rd warmest June on record.

More importantly, it looks like we are going to finish with average or slightly above average sunshine hours!

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

It's been a great June so far!  The current average high as of today is 24.2c, which is more like a typical July!  The month will probably end up the 2nd or 3rd warmest June on record.

More importantly, it looks like we are going to finish with average or slightly above average sunshine hours!

Yes similar here. We're back on average sunshine so far. Just need the last third the same. The warmth has been the big plus though. It would be nice to see sunshine and warmth combine like July 06:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
11 hours ago, 40*C said:

My June CET prediction was 17.7,  Anyone know where we currently stand?  

We're at 16.2...

• Like 1