Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Sign in to follow this  
Snipper

National Trust lost the plot?

I am sure we can rely on the media reporting the problems of the Gaygate Badges correctly. But even if the truth is vaguely the same it makes you wonder. 

Too be honest let everyone be happy and Gay but don't expect me to welcome it.  Nor force me to accept it. 

Fortunately I have not been instructed to wear a badge. If I had one of the words in response would have been off.

Snipper (happy NT volunteer)

I had dealings with the National Trust in the 1980's when they bought Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal. Whilst I understand that they do a good job on the whole they can be very arrogant when dealing with for example local people. We had a number of run ins with them over the first few years on a number of different but related issues which culminated with a demonstration outside the Abbey gates on a busy Saturday in the summer when they repeatedly failed to listen to our concerns. This view of them being arrogant was backed by some good friends who had dealings with them in the Lake District.

This 'gaygate' business seems to me a being another example of that arrogance. Its a shame really, as a charitable institution dealing with preserving heritage and landscapes they should be more aware of reactions that their decisions cause. To me its a case of 'If they couldn't see it coming then they are wrong and if they did see it coming and ignored/don't care they are still wrong'

Edited by mike57
minor correction

I don't agree with forcing anyone to wear anything for charitable or good cause reasons, it devalues that cause. Much like wearing a poppy.

Apparently not too proud to admit they got it wrong.

National Trust reverses decision enforcing use of gay pride badges

Trust lifts ban on volunteers carrying out public-facing duties at Norfolk stately home if they refuse to wear badges

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/05/national-trust-reverses-decision-on-gay-pride-badges

Aye well living in the Lake District I get to see the less altruistic side of the NT. As has been said,overall their heart is in the right place, it's their delivery, empathy and attitude that needs a reboot, or a kick up the jacksy.

I gave up being a member because it went up more than inflation each year, and they don't appreciate loyalty. Why do new members get 15 mths for price of 12 and a set of binoculars, when a member of 10 years standing gets nowt extra? I only got it so I could use the car parks while going for a walk, so now I just go out of paying hours!

Beatrix Potter must spin like a drill in her grave sometimes though!!