Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2010: Late June - Early July Warm Spell

danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Bit of a different take on a historic weather event this one.

2010 wasn't the most memorable summer nationwide, however there were some bouts of great weather further south and east.

One of these was a stretch of 22 consecutive days - between 21st June and 12th July - where the maximum temperature topped 24c (rounded) every day, as measured at Heathrow.

The highest temperature recorded in this stretch was 31.2c on 9th July. The average daytime maxima in this 22 day stretch was 26.8c - quite unusual to have such a long stretch of above average/warm/hot weather in this country, even in London/SE England.

Here are the recorded maximas at Heathrow between 21st June and 12th July:

21st: 24.7c

22nd: 27.3c

23rd: 27.3c

24th: 26.3c

25th: 27.8c

26th: 27.6c

27th: 30.6c

28th: 28.7c   

29th: 28.6c 

30th: 26.4c

1st: 27.2c

2nd: 25.8c

3rd: 26.1c

4th: 24.5c    

5th: 24.2c   

6th: 23.8c

7th: 24c

8th: 27.1c 

9th: 31.2c

10th: 29.1c

11th: 27.5c

12th: 23.9c

Posted

Some BBC weather forecasts from back in late June/early July 2010:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

That summer was very much divided in two for me by my family holiday in mid July. The weather pretty much from late May through to the 12th was often warm/hot and very sunny (especially in June), then upon returning on the 24th, the rest of the summer was a complete disappointment with only occasional intervals of even dry weather let alone sunny weather. August was particularly naff and was epitomized by that very wet final week.

So far, this summer kind of reminds me of 2010 in some respects, although this June was not as nice as 2010 and we don't know how poor or not August will be yet.

Posted
14 hours ago, MP-R said:

That summer was very much divided in two for me by my family holiday in mid July. The weather pretty much from late May through to the 12th was often warm/hot and very sunny (especially in June), then upon returning on the 24th, the rest of the summer was a complete disappointment with only occasional intervals of even dry weather let alone sunny weather. August was particularly naff and was epitomized by that very wet final week.

So far, this summer kind of reminds me of 2010 in some respects, although this June was not as nice as 2010 and we don't know how poor or not August will be yet.

Yep August was a lot cooler.

July had another warm up after the 18th - temps ranging from the low 20's to about 30c (29.5c at Heathrow on the 19th).

August had an average maxima of 21.5c and was more unsettled.

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I can remember a holiday in the New Forest that early July and it was lovely. Perfect for sitting outside and a cold beer. Then literally the day we came back the weather turned totally. All the plans for another caravan holiday died as August never got going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

Yes I do remember well the first half of summer 2010. Most of it was the pronounced NW-SE split. Most days my local station was the hotspot (Writtle) and one of the days had an outrageous split where I was driving back from the Lake District and it was 18c and when I got home 31c in Chelmsford. It steadily went downhill from the end of July rather than any marked change overnight and by August it was very different - often wet and rather cool. Yes reminds me of this year a bit so far, although I am sure some of the days in 2010 around mid June although dry were a little cool before it warmed up around the 20th significantly.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes it very much was a NW/SE split, particularly in early July. 

There were many days where the SE was in the high 20s, and a relatively short drive north west the weather was much cooler.

Edited by danm