Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I feel there may be an opportunity for my area through the middle part of the day tomorrow as there seems to be some agreement on a decent build up of CAPE from NW England through the Midlands and all points south and east. I have not seen a storm since 2015 at home, and not seen a storm since 5th August of any kind. I am feeling almost storm starved :D. The far NW of England could see some flashes before dawn tomorrow.

Chasing them will be difficult though as they will be moving quickly on a brisk NW wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

If only that storm to my north was a little bit further south. Keeping my ears peeled for any distant rumbles, but I might just be out of range

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Plenty of T&L around here, just now...It's been the best season for years - 10+++!:yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted

Just had a very short, very heavy shower but still nothing seen or heard

Edit: Just heard a reasonably close rumble! :yahoo:

Edited by Jcweather
  • Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Juanmoorchants said:

Storm around Billericay and Wickford area in Essex at the moment. Torrential rain 

Heres that storm looking from Isle of Grain 

20170908_185152.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Rain clearing out now. Only one flash and rumble in the end, but better than nothing. Bit surprising to be fair, I know it was forecast, but it really hasn't felt or looked stormy here at all today. 

Edit: Not finished yet. Just had a nice crack of thunder. Didn't see a flash though. 

Edited by Jcweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

T&L now moved away to the east...looks like a cold front to me? BTW, I've neither seen any C-Gs nor heard any shotgun thunder; it seems as if all the lightning is C-C?

PS: Yet another flash!

Posted

Had a good storm here in Lowestoft. Lots of CC lightning towards Southwold where the heaviest precipitation was. Caught this rainbow looking out to sea (Less than 1/2 mile from here).

IMG_0012.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Now that the diurnal maximum has passed, heavy showers are once again developing although seemingly staying mostly to the south of me so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Bit unexpected bit just been out to put the chickens away and spent the last 15 minutes watching this storm on the horizon to the east.

Must be almost 100 miles away!

stormnorthsea.thumb.jpg.b88be2f37c3ea649fa01ceb97b71a279.jpg

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Nice shelf cloud over Southend, Essex this evening

Now that is impressive, especially bearing in mind the storms in this area weren't the strongest we've ever had today. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

And onto tomorrow, another chance for some rumbles and flashes, for those like me, who didn't get any today ... though risk for SE probably not until late afternoon/early evening.

Storm & Convective Forecast

convmap_090917.thumb.png.d1244bec87ecacb2e3b992cc70b7f5a8.png

Issued 2017-09-08 21:42:58
Valid: Sat 9th Sept 6am to Sun 10th Sept 6am

Day 1 Convective / Storm Forecast

Synopsis

Upper low and surface low pressure system will move east across the North Sea on Saturday, while a ridge builds in across the far west, with a cool and unstable showery northwesterly flow covering the UK. 

... ERN REP. OF IRELAND, N. IRELAND, SW SCOTLAND, ENGLAND and WALES ...

An upper trough will shift SEwards across the UK on Saturday as upper low moves east over N Sea, pool of coldest mid-level temps in axis of upper trough will create steep lapse rates which combined wth large scale ascent on forward side of the trough will support bands of heavy showers and thunderstorms which will move SE. Intially heaviest showers and thunderstorm risk will be across Ireland, Irish Sea, Wales and western parts of England during the morning, before heavy showers/storms tend to shift further SE across northern England, Midlands, C-S England in the afternoon then reaching SE England and E Anglia in the evening. Vertical shear will weak away from Ireland, so generally no organised severe threat seems likely, though bands of showers/storms forming under trough axis may bring a risk of localised flooding. Showers/storms may also be accompanied by hail and gusty winds. Wind stream convergence towards western and eastern coasts and light winds aloft may allow a few funnel clouds to develop with stronger updrafts.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
16 hours ago, Juanmoorchants said:

Storm around Billericay and Wickford area in Essex at the moment. Torrential rain 

Just missed out on it coming back from work but the stairs at the station were a waterfall!! Amazing stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
12 hours ago, Nick F said:

And onto tomorrow, another chance for some rumbles and flashes, for those like me, who didn't get any today ... though risk for SE probably not until late afternoon/early evening.

Storm & Convective Forecast

convmap_090917.thumb.png.d1244bec87ecacb2e3b992cc70b7f5a8.png

Issued 2017-09-08 21:42:58
Valid: Sat 9th Sept 6am to Sun 10th Sept 6am

Day 1 Convective / Storm Forecast

Synopsis

Upper low and surface low pressure system will move east across the North Sea on Saturday, while a ridge builds in across the far west, with a cool and unstable showery northwesterly flow covering the UK. 

... ERN REP. OF IRELAND, N. IRELAND, SW SCOTLAND, ENGLAND and WALES ...

An upper trough will shift SEwards across the UK on Saturday as upper low moves east over N Sea, pool of coldest mid-level temps in axis of upper trough will create steep lapse rates which combined wth large scale ascent on forward side of the trough will support bands of heavy showers and thunderstorms which will move SE. Intially heaviest showers and thunderstorm risk will be across Ireland, Irish Sea, Wales and western parts of England during the morning, before heavy showers/storms tend to shift further SE across northern England, Midlands, C-S England in the afternoon then reaching SE England and E Anglia in the evening. Vertical shear will weak away from Ireland, so generally no organised severe threat seems likely, though bands of showers/storms forming under trough axis may bring a risk of localised flooding. Showers/storms may also be accompanied by hail and gusty winds. Wind stream convergence towards western and eastern coasts and light winds aloft may allow a few funnel clouds to develop with stronger updrafts.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

Was that big glub of showery rain that is now south of Manchester the thunderstorm risk done now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Torrential downpours here all morning, but nothing electrical.

... But it looks like something is just starting to kick off around Whitchurch, Grindley Brook area. :good:

IMG_4869.PNG

IMG_4868.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

A few sharp showers arriving from the WNW into our area.....maybe a chance later on

IMG_2321.thumb.JPG.fcb85e9832710586dc18b89aadd9d053.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

First heavy downpour of the day here after a very wet 28.6mm yesterday. Maybe some sferics later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Just had a flash and a rumble of thunder here in Cardiff

Posted

If the stuff to the north can turn thundery then I may be in business, although showers and storms coming from the NW rarely get here due to the Peak District killing them off. It's kicking off to the south of Birmingham again, could be a good afternoon if you live in the SE Midlands.

• Like 1