Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 25 Apr 2018 - 05:59 UTC Thu 26 Apr 2018

ISSUED 19:13 UTC Tue 24 Apr 2018

ISSUED BY: Dan

Cold pool associated with broad upper trough drifting eastwards across the British Isles on Wednesday will be accompanied by markedly steep mid-level lapse rates and some marginal instability. Numerous showers will move eastwards across many areas, some with small hail.

Best instability will exist in a zone from the Republic of Ireland - Wales - Midlands - East Anglia where lapse rates will be steepest, yielding up to 500 J/kg CAPE in response to diurnal heating. These regions will also benefit from 20-40kts DLS, which may compensate for the low levels of CAPE, especially across southern counties of England.

Theoretically lightning could occur almost anywhere given widespread deep convection (hence large LOW threat level), but given a reasonable overlap of CAPE and shear over these aforementioned regions, have introduced a low-end SLGT to suggest slightly better overall conditions for lightning activity. High-resolution models suggest convective gusts of 50mph may be possible.
One inhibiting factor across these areas could be true convective depth, with forecast profiles suggesting deep convection may be restricted to tops near 400/450mb (even shallower across southern England, while deeper over northern England but here CAPE will be much taller/skinner with less DLS).

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2018-04-25

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
On 22 April 2018 at 19:35, Stormhog said:

That was a pretty intense storm that tracked across East Anglia. The hail core scored a bullseye on my mothers village of Redgrave. 

30768984_10211478059934512_846984572_o.jpg

capture_001_22042018_191243.jpg

capture_003_22042018_191824.jpg

My parents in Diss got actually bruised by the hail, fearing for their windows too, super storm!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Storm & Convective Forecast

stormmap_250418.thumb.png.d8df5bb45510064291a6a0e138303a98.png

Issued 2018-04-25 08:08:54
Valid: 25/04/2018 0600z - 26/04/2018 0600z

THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK - DAY 1 (WEDNESDAY 25TH APRIL 2018)

Synopsis

Broad upper troughing covers the far north Atlantic, with a shortwave in the upper flow passing Scotland during the day and a cyclonic southwesterly flow covering the UK, which will be unstable to surface heating - supporting diurnal heavy showers with a risk of hail and thunder.

... IRELAND / N. IRELAND, SW SCOTLAND, WALES and ENGLAND ...

Returning Polar maritime airmass across the UK and Ireland will be characterised by steep lapse rates thanks to increasingly cold air aloft created by upper troughing edging in from the Atlantic. Instability will be greatest  across Ireland + central and southern parts of UK - where surface heating and moisture will be greatest beneath cold air advection aloft. This will support the development of diurnal heavy showers and some scattered weak thunderstorms capable of producing small hail and gusty winds - which may reach 40-50 knts locally. Thunderstorm risk should fade after dark.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Distant grumbling of thunder. :D

And it looks like we’ve got some activity over on the Wirral. :D

AE830C58-FAF6-4C12-B8CB-90DC4CA666BE.png

Posted

Couple of small thunderstorms heading away from mourne mountains out to irish sea, dunno if they will gather any more energy before they contact the rest of the country?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

One of the best April shower days in a long time. Cracking cumulonimbus shooting up all over and a few real loud rumbles heard earlier with some decent IC lightning. Bravo! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Midhurst storm died off on approach. Found a nice little spot to view it on the way home but alas i’m left sitting in a rain shower watching pheasants :nonono:

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Very dark sky to the NW which is apparently producing lightning. Haven’t seen any yet but keeping my eyes peeled...

Edit: Just saw a little CG! Might skirt me to the north though. We’ll see

Edited by Thunderstruck
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Think it’s died now, so still waiting for my first rumble of 2018. Did see my first lightning though. 

• Like 1

Posted

Nice CB and TCu landscapes around the Peaks this afternoon, caught up in one that gave torrential rain with pea-sized hail and just the one lightning strike. Warm April sunshine one minute and lashing down with rain the next.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some very heavy showers rattling through here just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Intercepted a storm near to Worksop. Two flashes and bangs, some gusty winds and quite decent hail of about marble sized. With the winds it was really crashing into the car windscreen.

Edit: This about an hour ago.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Huge CB to my SW tracked over Kingston Upon Thames 10 minutes ago moving due east.  No sure if electrical?

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A typical April showers day here today watching cells explode inland whilst it remains sunny but cool here on the coast in the on-shore flow. The fewer days like this I get this year the better. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Had a few rumbles from the little storm that passed over here around an hour ago. Tried to chase but was defeated by the rush hour traffic. Did see a nice double rainbow though.

2iieg3t.jpg

Edited by TropicThunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
7 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

A typical April showers day here today watching cells explode inland whilst it remains sunny but cool here on the coast in the on-shore flow. The fewer days like this I get this year the better. 

Wasn’t sure if the on-shore breeze might aid the formation of CZs around your parts?

edit: don’t read that as ‘around your parts’ :rofl:

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted

Several storms have passed through Lincs today as I type we have very heavy hail thunder and lightening

LO

the hail is coming down that hard it's shredding the leaves on the trees as it falls marble size wow

Edited by Lincs Observation
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, Lincs Observation said:

Several storms have passed through Lincs today as I type we have very heavy hail thunder and lightening

LO

the hail is coming down that hard it's shredding the leaves on the trees as it falls marble size wow

Same thing around Worksop. My car was covered in leaves.

• Like 1