Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Hi sitting on Hayling beach with the most spectacular light show and thunder across the sea, absolutely breathtaking

• Like 5

Going mad here now, loads of lightning and very heavy rain. 

I can still see distant lightning from that multicell cluster near bournemouth to pompey.....and my eyes are drawn to that cluster of showers that have formed over south wiltshire, can they tap into enough energy and become electrified?

Posted (edited)

Seriously impressed with these storms! The one heading to Bournemouth looks particularly notable. Shame I'm missing this but I enjoy reading the reports regardless :)

If the cell around Leicester can fire back up maybe we could be in for a surprise here in the NE later (I'm in Hull).

Edited by Quicksilver1989

On Bournemouth clifftop. CONSTANT lightning. It's April. Bloody insane!! 

• Like 1

Now that's a monster lol! 

Blitzortung WAAAAY off the mark. The lightning is non stop. Continental style! 

My new lightning detectors certainly working.

• Like 1

About 10x more lightning than Blitzortung suggests. Literally non stop thunder!

20 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

5 flashes a minute atm

Make that about 30!!

7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Seriously impressed with these storms! The one heading to Bournemouth looks particularly notable. Shame I'm missing this but I enjoy reading the reports regardless :)

If the cell around Leicester can fire back up maybe we could be in for a surprise here in the NE later (I'm in Hull).

Really hope so, I'm in Middlesbrough. But I know Lincolnshire and Midlands can spark up some cracking storms

12 minutes ago, slb97 said:

Hi sitting on Hayling beach with the most spectacular light show and thunder across the sea, absolutely breathtaking

Hope you've got rubber soles shoes on!!

Wow! Bl**dy wow! It's still a way off yet but the light show is bonkers! :D

Is it me or is this storm slightly more towards the East than the one earlier on?

Distant flashes to my south now those storms are way elevated 

I wonder if this storm will track further inland compared to the one earlier this evening, looks insane for this time of year

Posted (edited)

Not sure if it's just me but it seems to lose intensity very quickly once it goes inland off the south coast?

Looks like it's making a good track towards where I am in Reading right now, looking promising if it keeps going like it is.

Edited by Robert Lewis

You lucky lot! Send that stuff my way please! 

Getting some great action here 

• Like 1

Hi, am in Southern derby at the moment, had 2 very large flashes about an hour ago quite a distance between them and also a long pause between flash and thunder, then rain chucked it down and now nothing... anyone in the vicinity or close by who knows if we are going to get any more? Much as storms can scare me a little at night I do actually feel deflated that that was all we got! (Nothing that new here though hasn' been a decent thunderstorm here for a few years!)

Not letting up here in Pagham this is just insane although now it feeling a lot cooler I guessing these storms doing as they say on the tin and clearing the air in a big way

8 minutes ago, Robert Lewis said:

Not sure if it's just me but it seems to lose intensity very quickly once it goes inland off the south coast?

Looks like it's making a good track towards where I am in Reading right now, looking promising if it keeps going like it is.

Yeah I've noticed that as well, looks like it's just the channel area and the South Coast getting all the main action tonight unless something peps up in the midlands