Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

2 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Is that going to hit East Sussex/Kent in a few hours?

That one's heading up towards the midlands

So near, yet so far. :angry:   As my User Name suggests - storm activity is doing its usual Reigate avoidance routine. All stuff is west of here.  I'm now setting up and lighting a rank of BBQs in the garden in the hope it will attract a few supercells. :bomb:

Even our cat looks bored.

Enjoy your storms folks!

• Like 1

More flashes add bangs could be a long night 

Thought I saw a flash of lighting to the west. Checked blitzortung and the radar and it ties in with it. 

Storms looking to pass on the same track as the early spell of rain and to the southeast and east of me. May see some distant lightning if I stay awake long enough.

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 21 Apr 2018 - 05:59 UTC Sun 22 Apr 2018

ISSUED 19:59 UTC Sat 21 Apr 2018

ISSUED BY: Dan

UPDATE 19:59 UTC MDT removed from N England, while MDT over southern England extended NE-wards

Activity over N Wales / Irish Sea and West Country are both further west than earlier model guidance - hence the focus for thunderstorm activity has shifted more to Cumbria, southern Scotland and perhaps the east coast of Scotland. Some thunderstorms are still possible over other parts of northern England later this evening and overnight as better forcing approaches from the west
Farther south, as the mean flow continues to shift from the S to the SW, latest guidance suggests clusters of elevated thunderstorms will continue to drift NE-wards within the MDT area through the remainder of the evening and overnight. Some uncertainty as to how far north lightning activity will persist with each thunderstorm cluster

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Slowly but surely there’s activity appearing further to the East in the Channel! This is good. 

Considering it’s still only April the amount of lightning around the UK in general is quite incredible tonight. 

Edited by Thunderstruck
  • Like 5

2 storms here....1st one violent with big hail (10p sized) gale force winds and frequent lightning....second one less wind.....uploading to you tube currently and will link here when done

• Like 7

Can see distant flashes towards the Cotswolds from my bedroom window, there's a bank of cloud in the way which is obstructing the view a bit though! Must be about 75 miles away. 

The storm around hampshire just passed over. It was great, the lightning was frequent and the rain heavy. Also the lightning had a red tint to it, is that because it was sunset? 

55 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I wonder if those storms in the South can survive the land and get here.

It would be nice Supacell but if they do reach this far north I think they will have drifted to far east for us.But you never know.....

Just seen some elevated lightning off to my south . First storm in the dark (well nearly dark) for ages :yahoo:

Must be like a strobe disco in the channel now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That was brilliant sat in my car over Chippenham as the storm came right over giving torrential rain frequent lightning!

21 minutes ago, Surrey said:

More flashes add bangs could be a long night 

You must live in a different Thorpe, Surrey to the one I know, approx 5 miles away from you an nothing here

Just now, Cableguy said:

You must live in a different Thorpe, Surrey to the one I know, approx 5 miles away from you an nothing here

Showing on the lightning map looks like a strikes towards Chertsey Deffo saw lightning and heard thunder here! 

• Like 1

I'm now in the middle of a storm here in bognor Pagham area after a spell of pretty heavy rain think it safe to say the hot spell is on it's way out in a noisy way

The wind has got up very strong here in Pitstone Bucks can see some flickers in the very far distance from the tops of the Chilterns when driving home from Whipsnade just now. Shower imminent according to the latest radar.