Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted

I'm standing on my front doorstep watching a wall of lightning and flashes from the cell to the west of Berkshire, it's clear overhead and it's lighting it up in an unbelievable manner, really amazing to watch it, constant lightning from north of Winchester to right up towards the direction of Oxford all visible here.

Edited by Robert Lewis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Andover seems to be doing well at the moment. 

image.thumb.png.ac4cda67a3b98552f13f16ffbccb204b.png

Posted

Andover got it very good, seems to be heading straight for my work, out of nowhere a lightning strike that seemed much closer than the others though it's still clear overhead. I'm enjoying this, think it will miss here though and move past to the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

That bit that's just reached the Winchester area has intensified amazingly quickly. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, matt111 said:

That bit that's just reached the Winchester area has intensified amazingly quickly. 

Thats the part that seems to be heading towards where i am, it has indeed very quickly in the last half hour especially so.

Posted

The main cell seemed to break apart as it reached the A34, then a whole string of smaller cells formed again behind it around andover and that line seems to be in touch with this cell that has rolled through some of southampton and winchester, this second line seems to be wider could actually reach me this time, probably would have missed before. 

1 hour ago, Gruber said:

In Oxford. Got to see the storm over Gloucester from quite a distance. Saw quite a few flashes as it moved from my west to north of here. Quite disappointing as, I was surrounded at one point, but everything just fizzled out.

LQxPJrx.jpg

I take this back. We're having a great light show for the past 30 minutes. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Just woken up by more thunder and ligtning. 

EDIT: Torrential rain and hail now.

Edited by Paul Roberts

Posted

it's arrived here!

Seen some nice strikes right from my bedroom window, couple of times seeing 4/5 strikes hit at once all locally, so bright, very impressive. 

Edited by Robert Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

What an amazing night. I bagged 3 thunderstorms, 4 if I count a very distant one.

First one was a small one just off the M1 near to Coalville, second just outside central London and the third, by far the best for lightning and thunder, near to Reading. I then saw distant flashes from a cell near Luton about an hour ago. Incidentally the dissipating anvil from that is visible from where I am in Milton Keynes. 

The best April storms I have ever witnessed by a long way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Here's an overview of all the lightning strikes during our thundery period over the last 36 hours. We have totaled almost 12,000 strikes!

I really didn't expect too much from where I am in Bristol, but boy was I wrong can say I've used all my luck on this one; the loudest thunder I have EVER heard!

As a whole CS England done extremely well, whereas North Midlands/NW England unfortunately have done poorly compared to what could have happened.

5adc1e8b77b3f_21stApril.thumb.jpg.109dbf5c2a19e4b49fadf5cb3ea300ed.jpg5adc1e8f77ad9_22ndApril.thumb.jpg.ab2f40c63735049aea93e2a57968d9ca.jpg

It's quite interesting to note also, that it is incredible to witness such strong elevated storms this early in the season. Whilst elevated storms aren't affected by SST's, generally earlier in the season they cannot prolong their intensity. The last 36 hours couldn't have been more different, as a result of the favourable conditions above the boundary layer.

Can only be a good sign for the future... right?:D

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothing here just one brief heavy shower . The first dead duck of the year.

Some of us did really well last night others not so the surface based storms further north that were due to fire got scuppered by that area of rain and cloud associated with the first thunderstorms yesterday morning I think. 

But then by the evening the monsters that moved north really put a light show on for us down south. 

Better still and a rare event is there is no crud left over this morning and it's back to clear skies and glorious sunshine 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Here's an overview of all the lightning strikes during our thundery period over the last 36 hours. We have totaled almost 12,000 strikes!

I really didn't expect too much from where I am in Bristol, but boy was I wrong can say I've used all my luck on this one; the loudest thunder I have EVER heard!

As a whole CS England done extremely well, whereas North Midlands/NW England unfortunately have done poorly compared to what could have happened.

5adc1e8b77b3f_21stApril.thumb.jpg.109dbf5c2a19e4b49fadf5cb3ea300ed.jpg5adc1e8f77ad9_22ndApril.thumb.jpg.ab2f40c63735049aea93e2a57968d9ca.jpg

It's quite interesting to note also, that it is incredible to witness such strong elevated storms this early in the season. Whilst elevated storms aren't affected by SST's, generally earlier in the season they cannot prolong their intensity. The last 36 hours couldn't have been more different, as a result of the favourable conditions above the boundary layer.

Can only be a good sign for the future... right?:D

Weston was on the fringe of the storms yesterday. Out of my front window which is facing West, it was glorious blue skies and lovely sunshine. Out of my back window which is facing East, there was black clouds and frequent lightning. All to the back drop of a lovely rainbow.

We didn't have much rain either, which tells you that I was on the edge of the storm.

Still, it was nice to see, and we've been spoiled with the lovely hot weather and thunderstorms so early in the season.

Long may in continue.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Storm & Convective Forecast

stormmap_220418.thumb.png.8597d2b60c20c6d85750c6d066e6d556.png

Issued 2018-04-21 21:54:57
Valid: 22/04/2018 0600z - 23/04/2018 0600z

THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK - DAY 1 (SUN 22ND APRIL)

Synopsis

During Sunday, occluding cold front moving east ahead of low moving NE between Iceland and Scotland will bring a band of cloud and rain across country with cooler and more stable conditions of Atlantic origin following. However, warm, humid and unstable airmass will hang on across SE England and E Anglia into the afternoon, - which may trigger isolated thunderstorms with surface heating.

DAY 1 THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK

VALID: 22/0600Z - 23/0600Z

... SE ENGLAND and E ANGLIA ...

*Risk of ...

Hail (isolated large), flash-flooding, gusty winds and frequent lightning

Warm and humid airmass ahead of cold front moving in from the west will become unstable with surface heating in sunny spells aided by continued cooling aloft steepening lapse rates, surface breeze convergence ahead of approaching front the west combined with large scale ascent of approaching upper trough may support the development of a few thunderstorms with peak heating in the afternoon, provided there is some sunshine. 30-40 knots of deep layer shear, strong SWLy flow aloft and 300-600 j/kg CAPE may allow storms to organise, perhaps strong enough to bring some isolated large hail, localised flash flooding, gusty winds and with LCLs lower than today, a brief funnel or weak tornado can't be ruled with storms forming or crossing along wind shift.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

No storm here last night. Missed the action by about 15 miles as they didn't make it this far. :cray:A friend in Sevenoaks got thunder and lightning, so close. It aint fair.:angry: I thought for sure we'd get something, and what makes it worse is these storms were pretty spectacular. Looking on blitzotungs historical map they came within a whisker.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

No rain at all here in Darlo missed the lot of it

The MDT zone was pretty accurate further south

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Despite just having very heavy rain, I witnessed at about 02:30-3AM some of the best distant lightning I've ever seen, coupled with some real deep low bass sounding rumbles! 

Absolutely astonishing that it's only April as others have said. This event alone was better than probably every summer from the years 2007-11. Remarkable. 

This did remind me of a pretty good storm one April in 2004-05 time, that's the only other time I can remember a night storm in April. 

• Like 1