Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Going mad here now, loads of lightning and very heavy rain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I can still see distant lightning from that multicell cluster near bournemouth to pompey.....and my eyes are drawn to that cluster of showers that have formed over south wiltshire, can they tap into enough energy and become electrified?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Seriously impressed with these storms! The one heading to Bournemouth looks particularly notable. Shame I'm missing this but I enjoy reading the reports regardless :)

If the cell around Leicester can fire back up maybe we could be in for a surprise here in the NE later (I'm in Hull).

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

My new lightning detectors certainly working.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Seriously impressed with these storms! The one heading to Bournemouth looks particularly notable. Shame I'm missing this but I enjoy reading the reports regardless :)

If the cell around Leicester can fire back up maybe we could be in for a surprise here in the NE later (I'm in Hull).

Really hope so, I'm in Middlesbrough. But I know Lincolnshire and Midlands can spark up some cracking storms

Posted
12 minutes ago, slb97 said:

Hi sitting on Hayling beach with the most spectacular light show and thunder across the sea, absolutely breathtaking

Hope you've got rubber soles shoes on!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

Wow! Bl**dy wow! It's still a way off yet but the light show is bonkers! :D

Posted

Not sure if it's just me but it seems to lose intensity very quickly once it goes inland off the south coast?

Looks like it's making a good track towards where I am in Reading right now, looking promising if it keeps going like it is.

Edited by Robert Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

You lucky lot! Send that stuff my way please! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Getting some great action here 

• Like 1

Posted

Hi, am in Southern derby at the moment, had 2 very large flashes about an hour ago quite a distance between them and also a long pause between flash and thunder, then rain chucked it down and now nothing... anyone in the vicinity or close by who knows if we are going to get any more? Much as storms can scare me a little at night I do actually feel deflated that that was all we got! (Nothing that new here though hasn' been a decent thunderstorm here for a few years!)

Posted

Not letting up here in Pagham this is just insane although now it feeling a lot cooler I guessing these storms doing as they say on the tin and clearing the air in a big way

Posted
8 minutes ago, Robert Lewis said:

Not sure if it's just me but it seems to lose intensity very quickly once it goes inland off the south coast?

Looks like it's making a good track towards where I am in Reading right now, looking promising if it keeps going like it is.

Yeah I've noticed that as well, looks like it's just the channel area and the South Coast getting all the main action tonight unless something peps up in the midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Evening all. Just back in from a little stormwatch stroll watching the south coast cluster of storms gingerly work its way up the M3 towards me. There is some fantastic lightning tonight, it's as good, if not better, than some of the summer thunderstorms we've had in the last few years. Starting to hear more frequent thunder now I'm back in the house and the lightning is now more clearly visible, which must mean its close (I live on a street that backs onto a thick tree line; any view westward is atrocious, so being able to see lightning now is a very good sign).