Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted

I never saw the talk of them fizzling Gordon ?? We have between 750-1000 MU Cape over a lot of the UK today so like others have said these are Elevated Storms not working off juice at the surface, what they always contain is lots of lightning and sometimes some decent hail in the stronger cores.

Luck of the draw overnight but if your willing to take yer phone, your 5 min radar updates and have a car it should be pretty simple to find one

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I never saw the talk of them fizzling Gordon ?? We have between 750-1000 MU Cape over a lot of the UK today so like others have said these are Elevated Storms not working off juice at the surface, what they always contain is lots of lightning and sometimes some decent hail in the stronger cores.

Luck of the draw overnight but if your willing to take yer phone, your 5 min radar updates and have a car it should be pretty simple to find one

An increase in coverage of elevated thunderstorms seems possible late afternoon and into the evening over the English Channel, drifting NE into portions of southern England. Some uncertainty as to how widespread this activity will be, with some suggestions it may begin to decay as it approaches the M4 corridor, hence limiting the northern extent of the MDT for now. Other elevated thunderstorms may develop elsewhere over the Midlands and East Anglia this evening/overnight in a rather sporadic fashion, perhaps even as far north as E Scotland

they used they word decay rather than fizzle

not sure if I've misinterpreted their meanng

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Had some rumbles from a cell just to the west of Exeter, and the possibility of second helpings as some cells are sprouting up around Plymouth.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, Gordon Webb said:

An increase in coverage of elevated thunderstorms seems possible late afternoon and into the evening over the English Channel, drifting NE into portions of southern England. Some uncertainty as to how widespread this activity will be, with some suggestions it may begin to decay as it approaches the M4 corridor, hence limiting the northern extent of the MDT for now. Other elevated thunderstorms may develop elsewhere over the Midlands and East Anglia this evening/overnight in a rather sporadic fashion, perhaps even as far north as E Scotland

they used they word decay rather than fizzle

not sure if I've misinterpreted their meanng

Feels like there is plenty of energy once it gets to the U.K. to keep em going. Dunno if that’s how elevated stuff works but it’s really humid here and the clouds al around us are looking pretty sexy (convectively speaking, of course) :laugh:

Slow moving early evening storms, perfect!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
1 minute ago, StormUpdate said:

any lightning in chichester today

If you mean now then no , If you mean later then possibly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I like the sound of that. Still at home currently but car loaded with petrol, camcorder packed and I couldn't live without my phone and 5 min radar updates.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Nothing much happening here. There was some light rain earlier but it’s mostly sunny now

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted

Is it those showers in the SW moving north? I thought showers were to start in N Wales? I assume we are still looking in that area? I’m home now and after it clouded about an hour ago, it’s back to clear skies now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Starting to get a bit worried now that the surface based stuff is not going to happen for some reason Despite the massive levels of insolation. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Apart from the the little bit of rain to the east of me the radar looks very similar to what it was this morning. My lightning detector seems to be doing okay http://www.sheffieldweather.net/StormStation5NGX/stormstation.htm

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, the storm fisherman said:

Whats the betting on that storm come up from france starts to make a right turn just before landfall

already making a right turn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Starting to get a bit worried now that the surface based stuff is not going to happen for some reason Despite the massive levels of insolation. 

Surely we eroded that warm cap with all the insolation? maybe the high pressure is still too influential still. There is still time yet though Chris fingers crossed! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
7 minutes ago, Summerstorm said:

Surely we eroded that warm cap with all the insolation? maybe the high pressure is still too influential still. There is still time yet though Chris fingers crossed! 

You would’ve thought so yeah, but  I was expecting something to have happened by now up here. Still time yeah. If something does happen it’ll probably happen all of a sudden. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
18 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Is it those showers in the SW moving north? I thought showers were to start in N Wales? I assume we are still looking in that area? I’m home now and after it clouded about an hour ago, it’s back to clear skies now

Starting now,a cell has popped up there:)

more cloud developing in Wales now.

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Clouds dispersed, looks like high pressure cap extending back into the area from the east. SE England appears to be a storm dud unless that very small, tired looking little cluster in France suddenly speeds north and turns into some kind of monster.

The only way to encourage this is to re-light our BBQ. That will ensure a catastrophic destabilisation of air mass over Surrey. :)

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Cell has developed over North Wales and one or two other echoes have appeared.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow
1 minute ago, StormLoser said:

Clouds dispersed, looks like high pressure cap extending back into the area from the east. SE England appears to be a storm dud unless that very small, tired looking little cluster in France suddenly speeds north and turns into some kind of monster.

The only way to encourage this is to re-light our BBQ. That will ensure a catastrophic destabilisation of air mass over Surrey. :)

I'm roasting a chicken on my BBQ and all it has produced so far is a bit of moist mist, something is very wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive
4 minutes ago, tornado tams said:

I'm roasting a chicken on my BBQ and all it has produced so far is a bit of moist mist, something is very wrong.

Lol - we must have bought cheap BBQs or something!