Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Whilst I normally have trust in Euro4, I'm rather skeptical for what it producing during the day now.

At 9am, they have shown no storms to have initiated at all!

5adaef8e68939_Euro49am.thumb.gif.c9e61fc76d24daa45b69697492dcae23.gif

And they don't even show any storms to initiate until 3pm across SW/CS England, risk looks a little eastwards compared to various other models.

5adaefd67144f_Euro43pm.thumb.gif.09c0dac9eb55c532de361cdd5446cb0b.gif

Posted
13 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

I always thought a thunderstorm of a large intensity, could effectively “use up” the atmospheric CAPE?

You are correct it can.☺️

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

The Net-W SR model looks promising for later this afternoon/evening.

If this is correct then you and I are in for a treat ?

Sun is shining brightly here now with clear blue skies.

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Whilst I normally have trust in Euro4, I'm rather skeptical for what it producing during the day now.

At 9am, they have shown no storms to have initiated at all!

5adaef8e68939_Euro49am.thumb.gif.c9e61fc76d24daa45b69697492dcae23.gif

And they don't even show any storms to initiate until 3pm across SW/CS England, risk looks a little eastwards compared to various other models.

5adaefd67144f_Euro43pm.thumb.gif.09c0dac9eb55c532de361cdd5446cb0b.gif

Its more of an afternoon / evening thing tho isnt it ?? Esp for SE.

Posted

Up in Manchester for the weekend, really hoping I get to see something today but t seems as though things may have trended ever so slightly east.

we know how this story always ends up... get yourself to Lincolnshire :rofl:

Posted
19 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Well here are the Euro4 for 9pm and midnight. Much of North Wales and West Midlands actually miss out, very different compared to NMM Model. According to Euro4, CS/SE England into East Midlands look a treat.

5adaff105249b_euro49pm.thumb.gif.d3f4ce4f8b63a9855c34762b53f8e25f.gif5adaff136a6ec_euro412.thumb.gif.b359102808f106a0ca89b39977b7a742.gif

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Indeed - probably at peak heating around 3pm I reckon we’ll see some discrete showers or thunderstorms developing say in the Bristol environs then develop in coverage through the midlands heading NE/NNE.

At the same time storms developing over N France/Channel regions could grow in coverage and also drift NE across SE quarter.

The difficulty is knowing whether storm development will be limited to the trough feature/boundaries of the plume or whether the plume itself will destabilise more broadly as pressure falls from the west. Both scenarios are possible as have happened in the past couple of years.

038DC66E-DBC1-4668-AE05-7FD4C3712543.png

72EDBCA8-738F-46BE-A02D-D6DF6D492B86.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
3 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Well here are the Euro4 for 9pm and midnight. Much of North Wales and West Midlands actually miss out, very different compared to NMM Model. According to Euro4, CS/SE England into East Midlands look a treat.

5adaff105249b_euro49pm.thumb.gif.d3f4ce4f8b63a9855c34762b53f8e25f.gif5adaff136a6ec_euro412.thumb.gif.b359102808f106a0ca89b39977b7a742.gif

Convective initiation, as has been mentioned is relying strongly on the 850hpa - 900hpa warm sector being eroded. Euro4 is suggesting sufficient cloud levels to prohibit insolation, hence sporadic development. 

Posted

Looks like i'm going to be heading East today as we look to be to far West for tonight's action!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Promising skies this morning. Bristol's going to be very generous to other areas today I feel.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

We have lift-off, small areas of precipitation have developed over South Wales. (Difficult to tell whether radar glitch or not)

Some half decent convection taking place over me here, beginning to build up in height somewhat.

Sat24 shows this rapid developments in last 15 minutes.

5adb071960fe9_AreaofInterest.thumb.jpg.7f6575476d4434b808b3fa5c14fb05b2.jpg

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 4

Posted

Oh yes @MP-R that’s what we’re talking about! More of that would be amazing.

On the Kent ‘plains’ here it’s a very promising start - cloudless skies aiding hopefully many hours of good insolation! The little bit of breeze we have here feels quite warm too.

682F1E3B-A80E-4C30-BDC9-70C8B77D0EFB.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Oh yes @MP-R that’s what we’re talking about! More of that would be amazing.

On the Kent ‘plains’ here it’s a very promising start - cloudless skies aiding hopefully many hours of good insolation! The little bit of breeze we have here feels quite warm too.

682F1E3B-A80E-4C30-BDC9-70C8B77D0EFB.jpeg

Elevated Storms are not routed to the boundary (surface) layer so insolation is not really a contributing factor. 

Posted
1 minute ago, MattTarrant said:

Elevated Storms are not routed to the boundary (surface) layer so insolation is not really a contributing factor. 

That’s very true - was thinking more for others further north to be fair, however saying that Ben’s earlier post suggests increasing cloud further west. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive
59 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

Hoping for some activity creeping up over the Thames later. Would love to stand in the door way with a beer tonight.

I'm up for that! Facing west and a good clear view of the sky, and Reigate hill on my right. A lovely sheltered porch for a chair and a beer. Here's hoping!  :)

• Like 1

Posted

The showers formed North of Cardiff are a positive sign for those further NE of North Midlands etc. 

Further SE however, the main area of showers across South Devon are beginning to peter out. The area of cloud whilst expanding seems to be thinning across these areas at the moment. 

Posted

Lots of altocumulus rolling in here. Was hoping anything holds off until dark as have a bbq this afternoon/evening and would love to be able to lay on the grass drunk pondering my life choices and watching a light show.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Met Office don't seem to consider the potential SE ingressions from France and the west as a "Yellow". So far? We're going to make sure it rains by getting the BBQ going later today. Do you think that will be enough to generate a few severe cells around our house?  :bomb:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
35 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Promising skies this morning. Bristol's going to be very generous to other areas today I feel.

image.jpeg

promising yes, but I fear for our area, (m4 corridor to say Reading) I fear we will miss out....storms will fire to the north and west today (surface based) with elevated storms tonight tracking to the east of our region......hopefully wrong though

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

promising yes, but I fear for our area, (m4 corridor to say Reading) I fear we will miss out....storms will fire to the north and west today (surface based) with elevated storms tonight tracking to the east of our region......hopefully wrong though

Indeed, hence my reference to other areas. Personally I don't mind as long as I get sunshine instead.

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Ta for that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
1 hour ago, MattTarrant said:

Convective initiation, as has been mentioned is relying strongly on the 850hpa - 900hpa warm sector being eroded. Euro4 is suggesting sufficient cloud levels to prohibit insolation, hence sporadic development. 

looking at recent images that might be possible for some areas