Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Maybe some convective interest for parts of Southern England and Wales on Wednesday evening. A trough moves up from the SW steepening the lapse rates as it does so. The winds look pretty strong as it is, with a threat of some strong convective gusts associated with any thunder storms/showers that may develop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
On 20 November 2017 at 23:30, Mapantz said:

Maybe some convective interest for parts of Southern England and Wales on Wednesday evening. A trough moves up from the SW steepening the lapse rates as it does so. The winds look pretty strong as it is, with a threat of some strong convective gusts associated with any thunder storms/showers that may develop.

Certainly some convective activity knocking on the doors of Devon and Cornwall now! Looks like a last ditch plume effort from the BOB, quite a few strikes showing there. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Some very nice convective cloudscapes going on at the moment over towards Liverpool. :D

I have to be honest, I wasn’t expecting to see anything like this today, so it’s come as a bit of a welcome surprise to me. :good:

722FECD4-9200-44B6-9B33-EFEE16860DB9.jpeg

B00415E2-D913-4CB3-A1A5-4F68DF339392.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
5 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Some very nice convective cloudscapes going on at the moment over towards Liverpool. :D

I have to be honest, I wasn’t expecting to see anything like this today, so it’s come as a bit of a welcome surprise to me. :good:

722FECD4-9200-44B6-9B33-EFEE16860DB9.jpeg

B00415E2-D913-4CB3-A1A5-4F68DF339392.jpeg

Hi :-)

A bit of CAPE around tonight so maybe worth keeping an eye out for distant lightning like on 14 September. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
12 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Hi :-)

A bit of CAPE around tonight so maybe worth keeping an eye out for distant lightning like on 14 September. 

Morning @Chris.R :)

My eyes shall be peeled mate, and fingers crossed that we do get to see and hear something. :bomb::D

But if not, it’s still nice to see :)

... Ahh well, only another six months to go and we’ll be back in full storm hunting season. Lol :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Lightning reported out to the west coast of Wales, looks interesting..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

I’ve just seen a video posted on Twitter of thundersnow at Oakworth up in Yorkshire. Can’t link to it as I’m on my phone but it’s pretty cool. 

Been a good few years since I last had thundersnow

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like we’ve got a little thunderstorm breaking less than ten miles away! :yahoo:

Always a nice way to start off a Saturday morning. :D

98ECE747-84F2-4196-86BE-DEDED5AE7D02.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just about to report that, have fun. 

At 4:20 I had an extremely powerful sell pass overhead with some of the largest hail i’ve ever seen and a few  flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder. There’s a beautiful feeling of potential in the air. Feels like there may be more to come. 

• Like 1

Posted

And as I’m stood up to my ankles in mud, here’s the back end of that hail machine, that also gave us the thunder and lightning earlier. :)

E0A3DD51-662C-46C9-8B6E-C18CBA69DD10.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The BBC forecast for Leeds mentions a risk of thunder tomorrow. Thundersnow possible perhaps?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Two big flashes of silvery lightning and deep thunder in that last shower of penny-sized hail. Nice!

• Like 1

Posted

We had a couple of flashes of lightning during the night (about 01.00 ish), and other folks around my area have confirmed thunder as well! :D:good: