Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Can't believe I missed that was listening to music and thought it was a plane going past :oops:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
8 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Just had a few flashes of lightning and a couple of good rumbles of thunder here. :D:good:

IMG_5176.PNG

I noticed that developing  before I went to bed. If only the Wind had been from the opposite direction.  At least you made up for mostly missing out the other day. :-) 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Mon 18 Sep 2017 - 05:59 UTC Tue 19 Sep 2017

ISSUED 04:04 UTC Mon 18 Sep 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper vortex centred over the Netherlands on Monday will gradually slip away to the east, providing another showery day to parts of England and Wales, though in general with quite dry air aloft showers should be relatively isolated, mainly focussed along zones of low-level wind convergence such as Wales-Dorset, Lincolnshire-Kent and then later from the Cheshire Gap-Sussex. The deepest instability will be found closest to the upper vortex, and hence a low-end SLGT has been issued for parts of Lincs / East Anglia / Kent, with showers generally more limited in depth farther west.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-09-18

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
On 15/09/2017 at 15:18, Super_Uwe said:

Nice line of showers over Torbay area at the mo...here's one of those towers. No sparks yet but grown quite a bit in the time I have been outside.

IMG_20170915_151125811.jpg

Lovely mature cb you've got there. Thanks for sharing. :friends:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
17 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes,a line of heavy showers developing from W midlands up to S Cumbria s,so you could be in with a chance this evening:)

as for here,i have been watching this cell to my NE for ages now but i think the most of the action will drift SE of here(Lincolnshire):nonono:

still some nice pics though and in the latest photo's there is another Cb shooting up south of the cell and the north one is dying now.love the last pic with the new Cb starting to spread out.

DSC01685.thumb.JPG.2ec9718ad715f50acb40df6893367dde.JPGDSC01686.thumb.JPG.ed0ebed81263a442d4187346d4488d5c.JPGDSC01690.thumb.JPG.db19b347ce16843e62685c7bd3c91bc7.JPGDSC01691.thumb.JPG.e9dbdca2594099fa9747ba1935742488.JPGDSC01694.thumb.JPG.21beb33ba9ad3482605e33489b911d76.JPGDSC01692.thumb.JPG.622c28c819e2cc4fbda82a356aa36bf2.JPGDSC01693.thumb.JPG.4caaff5c2ec228dfe0bf94f1a526dd4f.JPG

Beautiful. Look at the anvil on that thing! Lovely pics friend. :)

Posted

Its been a rather murky day so far with rain (sometimes heavy) and very small dry periods. I can see some huge cauliflower heads to my northwest so you never know, might see some action, although I'm not expecting anything much.

Posted
On 15/09/2017 at 19:12, mike57 said:

My wife took these pictures yesterday at home, we had heavy showers in the area. My question, is it the start of a funnel cloud? There was not thunderstorms in the area as far as I know. (I was on my way back from Preston)

20170914_193140.jpg

20170914_193134.jpg

Certainly looks ominous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Just had a hail shower here, hail up to 0.75cm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Looks like a line of showers has set up to the west of here. Radar showing some intense rainfall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

And now lightning just off the coast on that line of showers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Thunder heard in Birmingham......think from a cell just to the SW of the city

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Had a light shower with a bit of hail mixed on not long ago. Only 0.2mm from it. 

Posted

This has been the most thundery period of the year in Wiltshire.

We had a few spectacular electrical storms at the end of plumes in May and July, then a few great lunchtime storms on showery days in August .

However a slack, cool, largely Northerly flow has produced thunderstorms in Wiltshire on Friday evening, Saturday evening and this evening!

Posted

Torrential rain here past 6:30pm for a while, it's seemed to have cleared now but the cloud-bases were low and turbulent with some of the biggest scud seen for quite a while locally, blanketing across the tops whilst the rain was almost biblical at times. No lightning unfortunately but there was a hint of slight hail mixed in with it all.

Posted

Just saw a flash way off to the east. Must've been from where @Man With Beard is. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Drove through torrential rain just west of Reading on the M4 this evening. Lovely cloud structure as I was approaching, almost undulating. Didn't see any lightning but radar seemed to suggest some nearby.

• Like 1

Posted

Nothing yesterday, although I did see an incredible cb driving home along the A2. It was just over dartford, and was absolutely huge, with clearly defined anvil, and it had a half crescent rainbow accompanying it along the bottom left. Absolutely incredible sight. Just sad I couldn't stop and take a picture. :cray:

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Okay, so around 3:30pm yesterday afternoon I am sure I saw a funnel cloud in the distance, towards willenhall in the West Midlands, I was looking from Walsall, and there was a very dark cloud base and I saw a long spout coming from it, it wasn't scud or however you say it because ive saw that before and this was more pronounced and looked exactly like a funnel, I wish I had pictures but was on public transport at the time, and I only had a couple of second glimpses, plus it was quite far, any other reports?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 21 Sep 2017 - 05:59 UTC Fri 22 Sep 2017

ISSUED 20:09 UTC Wed 20 Sep 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Sharp upper trough pivoting NE-wards across Ireland and W Scotland on Thursday will provide the focus for deep convection as cold mid-levels overspread relatively warm SSTs and diurnal heating inland, steepening lapse rates and generating a few hundred Jkg-1 CAPE. A low-end SLGT has been issued where there is a better overlap of these variables, with scattered showers and a few thunderstorms likely on Thursday afternoon and early evening, the focus shifting mainly to coastal areas of western Scotland by Thursday night. One inhibiting factor will be quite dry profiles in the mid/upper levels, which may result in more isolated shower distribution - but given steering flow, an individual shower should cover some distance, and therefore increase the potential in lightning coverage. Hail to 1.5cm in diameter is possible from the strongest cells. Relatively high cloud bases (given 6-11C dewpoint depressions) should limit the funnel potential somewhat.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-09-21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

As usual these photos don't do it justice, but I was greeted with this incredible sunset after a weak weather front!

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

• Like 5