Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
14 minutes ago, Jules777 said:

I too was up till 4am in my case. Strange as through the afternoon quite a few Cb,s were moving over the South Coast from North to South but by night fall they seemed to stall at the French coast and head back to mid channel like a waving front..Wish I was on southern tip of IOW last night.:)

Maybe a land breeze from the continent developed overnight and created a convergence zone as it met the northerly flow?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

I thought there were supposed to be less showers today than yesterday? We had nothing yesterday and now I have a half cut lawn and torrential rain ☔ Quite annoying but should have cut it yesterday I suppose lol! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
21 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Maybe a land breeze from the continent developed overnight and created a convergence zone as it met the northerly flow?

I was looking at the wind data last night and it certainly did look like there was a convergence zone just southwest of the IOW. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

First overhead thunder of the year here with brief but biblical rain.Didnt see any lightning though.All still and calm again now.Could be more to come looking at the radar!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

I woke up at 5.30 this morning and could see what I thought were very faint and distant lightning flashes. I checked the radar and the nearest sferics were just off the Hampshire coast, approximately 100 miles away.

Skies overhead here were clear and starlit so I thought it couldn't possibly be lightning, but my own observations from my back garden and other reports from elsewhere seem to confirm it was indeed lightning from a storm in that area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

After thunder stopped we had an unbelievable amount of rain and hail in a short space of time. 

I've not seen it come down like that for many years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I think all us storm fans should move to Lincolnshire lol

Posted

Watching this to my NE that has produced sferics a short while ago.

DSC01680.thumb.JPG.9f9aec480a3e9e91b56554539a00ff32.JPGDSC01684.thumb.JPG.43d8404fa9dbfe0c20b96e07c1e89164.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A-up what's this; some sferics not far away in Cheshire. Got a bit of CAPE this evening, let's see what happens. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
9 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

A-up what's this; some sferics not far away in Cheshire. Got a bit of CAPE this evening, let's see what happens. 

Yes Chris

Some bangs and flashes accompanied by some moderate rain and Hail

C.S. 

Just lost sky signal 

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Yes Chris

Some bangs and flashes accompanied by some moderate rain and Hail

C.S. 

Just lost sky signal 

Enjoy it :-) If only the flow was SouthEasterly. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Yes,a line of heavy showers developing from W midlands up to S Cumbria s,so you could be in with a chance this evening:)

as for here,i have been watching this cell to my NE for ages now but i think the most of the action will drift SE of here(Lincolnshire):nonono:

still some nice pics though and in the latest photo's there is another Cb shooting up south of the cell and the north one is dying now.love the last pic with the new Cb starting to spread out.

DSC01685.thumb.JPG.2ec9718ad715f50acb40df6893367dde.JPGDSC01686.thumb.JPG.ed0ebed81263a442d4187346d4488d5c.JPGDSC01690.thumb.JPG.db19b347ce16843e62685c7bd3c91bc7.JPGDSC01691.thumb.JPG.e9dbdca2594099fa9747ba1935742488.JPGDSC01694.thumb.JPG.21beb33ba9ad3482605e33489b911d76.JPGDSC01692.thumb.JPG.622c28c819e2cc4fbda82a356aa36bf2.JPGDSC01693.thumb.JPG.4caaff5c2ec228dfe0bf94f1a526dd4f.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

very active up there today, real power showers, but still no thunder/lightning, none yet this year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Quite spectacular scenes around my village this morning as a huge cumulonimbus cloud passed to my North around sunrise, accompanied also by mist in the valleys and in the fields as the temp fell to 6c first thing.

The first pic is what I saw when I opened my bedroom curtains, and the rest from around where I live.

DJ6FP9NWsAAwiKq.thumb.jpg.8163d39fa2aaae199c32b597703d49d1.jpgDJ7vrZXW0AIVOSN.thumb.jpg.92c48fce9b6de3c511fc348f4b2dff5e.jpgDJ7vsNHXUAATdBI.thumb.jpg.656d7c195b576d047e23fce6c6f36ec9.jpgDJ7vtK_XUAA0tnp.thumb.jpg.21badc0c668c93f9c48f9c58bf128ded.jpgDJ7vu-1XUAU8Pym.thumb.jpg.26823e5ccaefb7866dfb75b74420cc32.jpg

DJ7vsNHXUAATdBI.jpg-thumb

DJ7vtK_XUAA0tnp.jpg-thumb

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Just had a few flashes of lightning and a couple of good rumbles of thunder here. :D:good:

IMG_5176.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Just had a few flashes of lightning and a couple of good rumbles of thunder here. :D:good:

IMG_5176.PNG

Yep saw the flashes to my NNW...unexpected thunder again...nowt like it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Hiya @Carl46Wrexham :)

I fully agree mate... I saw the top of the storm cloud when I was in Porthmadog earlier this evening... But I didn't think it was going to do anything either. 

It looks like it over Hope Mountain... And I can still hear distant grumblings. :bomb::D

IMG_5179.PNG

• Like 2

Posted

Was outside just 5 minutes ago...loud thunder from a strike over my home village of Coedpoeth (3 miles west of me)

• Like 1

Posted

Intense echoes to my west..have had info from friends there they have a covering of hail.