Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
Just now, matt111 said:

Or was it... Another one appeared just as you posted that. 

Still wasn't looking... :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The radar looks tasty in that area too. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

And  here we go, sferics developing. GFS wants 900 j/kg CAPE for Liverpool bay in 2 hours, has 500 for now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Thunder!!! Thank you trough for tracking this way for once. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Thunder!!! Thank you trough for tracking this way for once. 

Morning @Chris.R :)

I was out earlier and I saw the sky flickering... Never heard any thunder though as I was just a little too far away.

Still, a nice start to the day. :bomb::D

IMG_5005.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

WOO HOO!! Looks like things are reigniting again over towards the Llay area. :D

What a pleasant start to the day. :bomb::D

IMG_5006.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning @Chris.R :)

I was out earlier and I saw the sky flickering... Never heard any thunder though as I was just a little too far away.

Still, a nice start to the day. :bomb::D

IMG_5005.PNG

Lots of cells coming ashore here, 2 with thunder. Something just developing near you, watch out. Not much  fuel to sustain it over land though. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Lots of cells coming ashore here, 2 with thunder. Something just developing near you, watch out. Not much  fuel to sustain it over land though. 

It developed just to the south of me... I just caught the distant thunder. :D

I agree, not much to sustain it over land, but hey, it's much better than what we had at the beginning and first half of this year, so I'll take it. :D

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dangerous55019 said:

It developed just to the south of me... I just caught the distant thunder. :D

I agree, not much to sustain it over land, but hey, it's much better than what we had at the beginning and first half of this year, so I'll take it. :D

I'm glad you got to join in. probably got another hour before things start to die out. My seventh thunder day for this year, around average for here.  

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I'm glad you got to join in. probably got another hour before things start to die out. My seventh thunder day for this year, around average for here.  

I've got to be honest, although there was a lot of convectivity about yesterday, I really wasn't expecting anything to kick off... But there have been some impressive cloudscapes about. :)

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Dangerous55019 said:

I've got to be honest, although there was a lot of convectivity about yesterday, I really wasn't expecting anything to kick off... But there have been some impressive cloudscapes about. :)

It's worth Looking on the GFS for spikes in CAPE/LI which can indicate a trough like we have this morning which    was showing  as a spike for awhile so I was prepared for something. There is another Spike early hours tomorrow which could be another trough.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Strke to the East of the city earlier....lots of convection apparent

IMG_2338.thumb.JPG.1c0aadb03d10662866d843cb9cc98173.JPG

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted

Here in Coventry, which is where I am right now, there's a goodly number of reasonably well separated Cunims about. And they're leaking quite violently... some of them with hail. No lightning though.

Leaking cloud anvils are the worst cloud anvils.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Loads of little cells on radar, just missing us at the moment. However, I'm on my motorbike today so storms, if you're reading this, please wait until I get home! 

• Like 1

Posted

A sharp but short lived spike of CAPE showing for early hours of tomorrow in Liverpool bay and coastal areas, probably another trough like this morning.  Steering Winds are NW veering NNW 20-30 mph. Let's see what happens.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 05:59 UTC Sat 16 Sep 2017

ISSUED 19:24 UTC Thu 14 Sep 2017

ISSUED BY: Chris

A large positively tilted trough will continue to provide unstable air across much of the British Isles, but rising heights are noted across Ireland on the eastern edge of high pressure that will slowly move into Britain later in the weekend and early next week. A large isolated risk area is expected on Friday, although it is difficult to pinpoint to which areas are at higher risk for lightning. Given Thursdays limited lightning and with forecast surface to 500mb lapse rates slightly lower for Friday, lightning is again expected to sporadic. CAPE values are a little higher (500-600j/kg) across SW and SCen England therefore the risk may be slightly elevated there. 

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-09-15

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just got back from Filey and i saw a funnel cloud north of Malton on the A64,i was trying to get off on a junction so i could get a photo of it,but by the time i got into a position out of the damn trees it had gone:wallbash:,also there was a dark scud type cloud from the ground to the shower base just left of the funnel but that had lifted too so i was gutted not to get any pics of this:angry:

i did see a few flashes of lightning off the Filey brigg last night though at around 1am.

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Just got back from Filey and i saw a funnel cloud north of Malton on the A64,i was trying to get off on a junction so i could get a photo of it,but by the time i got into a position out of the damn trees it had gone:wallbash:,also there was a dark scud type cloud from the ground to the shower base just left of the funnel but that had lifted too so i was gutted not to get any pics of this:angry:

i did see a few flashes of lightning off the Filey brigg last night though at around 1am.

What time was this?

Sods law I've been in Manchester today, live just off the A64 few miles south of Malton and I've never seen a funnel cloud close up! :(

Posted
7 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

What time was this?

Sods law I've been in Manchester today, live just off the A64 few miles south of Malton and I've never seen a funnel cloud close up! :(

It was around 7:30pm-8pm ish and was very short lived hence i couldn't get a snap of it,say around 3-4 minutes,Kirkbymoorside -Pickering way.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

That's three funnel clouds that i have seen in two years,two last year and this one this evening,can't be bad:)

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Another good day for convective cloudscape and rainbows in the clean polar flow, my convective / storm forecast:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

No storms for me yesterday. Managed to get home dry! Heavy showers around but everything went either side of me or faded just as it got to me with the exception of a lovely heavyish shower around 7pm with a setting sun behind it which was a sight to behold. Sorry no pictures (phone is off after I finish work as I don't want to get disturbed by work related calls etc). I've been meaning to get a decent camera for a while now and have it on standby in the car and around the house so i can take pictures of storms wherever I am, as and when I see them, but finances are a pain right now so that'll have to wait.

Could get something stormy today, lets see. :)

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
24 minutes ago, Windblade said:

... Sorry no pictures (phone is off after I finish work as I don't want to get disturbed by work related calls etc)...

Just bang it in flight mode, job's a good'n ;)

Edited by Another Kent clipper
Grammarpo