Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat, Fog

Went out and chased this one in south Essex. Saw impressive distant lightning around 22z whilst walking the dogs and then checked radar. Impressive cgs seen around East Hanningfield, South Woodham Ferrers around 2330z. Drove directly under one cell in Torrential rain in Bicknacre, roads instantly flooded, then north to Maldon where dry. Continued to skirt round north of cell in dry area near Burnham before heading back to Southend where more impressive cgs observed. Most unexpected! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Bittersweet emotions seeing all the lovely pictures from the southeast storm/s on friday evening. I was indoors watching a film and didn't bother checking outside as the storm forecast for friday was for surface based storms which fade after dark. I never heard any thunder and as such had the lights on so didn't see any lightning either. Imagine my annoyance when I was told the following day we had an amazing storm and saw the pictures on the forums and people saying its one of the best storms we had in years. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I absolutely cannot believe it. I was IN. How could I not have heard/seen this??!! I have a feeling that's my last chance this year for a decent night time storm as Autumn is now fast approaching (imo it starts at the equinox). The pictures here are beautiful, I'm just really annoyed that I didn't even notice a storm outside. I've left it a few days as I didn't wan't to post negative stuff about peoples lovely experiences on friday night so please forgive me for being down in the dumps a bit. :cray:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
22 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Bittersweet emotions seeing all the lovely pictures from the southeast storm/s on friday evening. I was indoors watching a film and didn't bother checking outside as the storm forecast for friday was for surface based storms which fade after dark. I never heard any thunder and as such had the lights on so didn't see any lightning either. Imagine my annoyance when I was told the following day we had an amazing storm and saw the pictures on the forums and people saying its one of the best storms we had in years. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I absolutely cannot believe it. I was IN. How could I not have heard/seen this??!! I have a feeling that's my last chance this year for a decent night time storm as Autumn is now fast approaching (imo it starts at the equinox). The pictures here are beautiful, I'm just really annoyed that I didn't even notice a storm outside. I've left it a few days as I didn't wan't to post negative stuff about peoples lovely experiences on friday night so please forgive me for being down in the dumps a bit. :cray:

Aww man.  It's amazing how profound effect missing a storm has on an individual, from my experience at least.  You start blaming yourself thinking, "if only I'd stayed put", "if only I'd gone gone up the road" , or if only I'd driven 30 miles east on a complete guess"

Keep the hope for September I say!  That said, according to the radar, you did miss a corker...

IMG_20170904_123600.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Tried to take a vid of the storm the other day, it was finishing by the time I got my phone from my son. He was playing a game on it. Not very good, but I'll post anyway. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
36 minutes ago, Windblade said:

I feel your pain on that one, when the rain got down here the thunder had gone. Just a ten minute heavy shower.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
7 hours ago, Another Kent clipper said:

Aww man.  It's amazing how profound effect missing a storm has on an individual, from my experience at least.  You start blaming yourself thinking, "if only I'd stayed put", "if only I'd gone gone up the road" , or if only I'd driven 30 miles east on a complete guess"

Keep the hope for September I say!  That said, according to the radar, you did miss a corker...

IMG_20170904_123600.jpg

Thank you for the response my friend. Yes, I have done exactly as you described and actually started to blame myself, thinking if only I looked outside etc. I had no idea there would be any night time storms which is why I settled down after dark and watched The Martian (awesome film btw, second time I've seen it now) oblivious to what was going on outside.

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

I feel your pain on that one, when the rain got down here the thunder had gone. Just a ten minute heavy shower.

Thank you. Yeah, apparently the thunder started quite distant and got louder as the storm approached but wasn't really that loud. We get a lot of aircraft round my way so you can easily mistake thunder that isn't directly overhead for aircraft. Coupled with the fact there was hardly any rain unusually (normally you can hear it pound on the window but on friday there was none of that) it didn't give me any reason to draw the curtains and look outside. 

Edited by Windblade

Posted
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 02:41, Surprised Weather said:

First time I've seen a funnel cloud, view from Scopwick looking towards Raf Digby 1st Sep 19.04 

Wish I had got out and got a better shot with my phone but there it is.IMG_20170901_funnel.thumb.jpg.972812f10a3b80c1bab1dbadae4654ee.jpgfunnel.thumb.jpg.0d399ad102f2fb3c69386e393b970753.jpg IMG_20170901_190432.thumb.jpg.24f8124e62d1dde7da5462223a657d56.jpg

Incredible. Well done for capturing that beauty. :)

Posted
4 hours ago, Windblade said:

Incredible. Well done for capturing that beauty. :)

Thanks that what I thought as I spotted it. I snapped as quickly as I could as I could see it had a nice shape and then drove for a couple of minutes closer but by then it was weaker and less defined so was not sure if it would show well on my phone and called it a day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Squally rain approaching Birmingham

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.e0f35360a49abf4fa6c40cc3acf72540.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
57 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Squally rain approaching Birmingham

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.e0f35360a49abf4fa6c40cc3acf72540.JPG

It really lost its temper here! :o

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
17 hours ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

It really lost its temper here! :o

mmm...Acording to Birmingham updates on Facebook there was some thunder heard in the city centre.....nowt seen or heard here....most likely our Dustmen cashing in on the extra overtime

Still !0 mins of fun:)

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Arnie Pie said:

mmm...Acording to Birmingham updates on Facebook there was some thunder heard in the city centre.....nowt seen or heard here....most likely our Dustmen cashing in on the extra overtime

Still !0 mins of fun:)

Still chasing Thunder Arnie?.   Give it up as a bad job    ps  hope youve stopped paying your council tax!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 07 Sep 2017 - 05:59 UTC Fri 08 Sep 2017

ISSUED 19:02 UTC Wed 06 Sep 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-09-07

• Like 1

Posted

Can make my own forecast for the map?

;)

A large scale upper trough moves in eastwards from the Atlantic bringing weak sheer and persistent dynamic precipitation.  There is some agreeance that a weak plume of wtbp will work its way from the BOB NWNE throughout the day.  surface temperatures are not thought to support enough cape for cumulonimbus by teatime.  That said, widespread sporadic lightning is possible due to reasonable lapse rates and a weak funnel is not out of the question should a shortwave low become rooted in the boundary layer.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about weather

• Like 2

Posted
On 06/09/2017 at 09:38, Another Kent clipper said:

I smell a little hope for the weekend

Capture.thumb.JPG.f324d183105e9e811235ee1976693222.JPG

Netweathers been showing this for the past two days. I would have expected the risk to go to 0% by now (as per usual!) but is hasn't so maybe I might get something tomorrow evening?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Windblade said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.f324d183105e9e811235ee1976693222.JPG

Netweathers been showing this for the past two days. I would have expected the risk to go to 0% by now (as per usual!) but is hasn't so maybe I might get something tomorrow evening?

I don't think 2017 is done, convectively speaking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
On 04/09/2017 at 12:17, Windblade said:

I feel your pain Windblade - if it helps, I've got a long history of going away for the weekend/holiday for the first time in ages only to find out that my area was pummelled just hours/days after me leaving after waiting months (/years sometimes) for more than a rumble!!  Probably the luckiest I've been last Friday in donkeys and your turn will come - like you I was in, lights on and not even aware something may happen until i heard a distant rumble!   I'm moving to Cambridgeshire soon anyway so things will be back to normal around these parts next year don't worry!! :D  On balance, 2017 has been an improvement on previous years, hopefully that will continue.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I don't really have much time to look at weather charts at the moment, but after a quick glance at some for tomorrow, it looks as though that they'll be some quite widespread showers for much of England and Wales. Cold ELT's spreading in from the NW, as an Occlusion sweeps through - should provide some hail and thunder.
I expect convectiveweather & Nick F will be doing a map later, to add deeper analysis for it.

• Like 1