Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 01 Sep 2017 - 05:59 UTC Sat 02 Sep 2017

ISSUED 19:54 UTC Thu 31 Aug 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper trough and associated cold pool / steep lapse rates will clear gradually eastwards to the North Sea on Friday, generating several hundred Jkg-1 CAPE in response to SSTs and diurnal heating inland. Showers / thunderstorms will be ongoing over the English Channel at the beginning of the forecast period, these then generally becoming more widespread through the day across eastern Britain. Lightning activity seems most likely over East Anglia and Kent, but a low-end SLGT might also be required for portions of Yorks/Lincs and the Pennines.

Some localised surface water issues are possible given slow storm motion, with low-level convergence aiding shower development and also bringing the opportunity for a few funnel clouds. Showers inland will fade during the evening hours, but some slow-moving showers / thunderstorms could persist over east Kent for a time into Friday night - some uncertainty naturally, but there could be some minor flooding issues here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Seeing a lot of lightning over towards E Lincs at the moment. Making the most of it! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/river-burn-webcam.html

Nice forks on here.

Need a downpour to wash that web away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Starry sky here with a bright moon to the south. Away to the SE distant lightning is lighting up the clouds over Lincolnshire. I love nights like this, sadly not coming our way but a nice hurrah to summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just heard a rumble. Looks like it came from just west of the Isle of Wight. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Storm & Convective Forecast

convmap_010917.thumb.png.7edb1d8a1d2a1c9589842fe37e7a06d1.png

Issued 2017-09-01 05:59:17
Valid: Fri 01 Sept 6am to Sat 02 Sept 6am

Day 1 Convective / Storm Forecast

Synopsis

Upper trough axis will continue to move east of the UK on Friday, slack N to NWly flow will be unstable across E England closer to upper trough while ridge builds in across the W.

… E/SE ENGLAND and E MIDLANDS …

Steep lapse rates towards E England with proximity to colder mid-levels of upper trough, surface heating and local breeze convergence will support development of scattered heavy showers and isolated thunderstorms today. Weak vertical shear will mean severe weather is unlikely, showers/storms will be slow-moving – so may produce localised flooding, particularly where they cluster along convergence zones. Small hail is possible and conditions along convergence zones will be ideal for a few funnel clouds.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

So, just the one rumble yesterday for me. In towerhamlets again today where the sky is convective with some tiny towers trying to go up but nothing on the scale of yesterday afternoon so far. Its mostly clear with the odd tiny tower.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

shower over Folkestone is giving quite a bit of lightning activity (especially for a pulse-type storm), can anyone confirm?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Saw a funnel a little while ago, didn't have my phone to hand. Very lp here, can see everything. But the heavier stuff will be along soon.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Saw a funnel a little while ago, didn't have my phone to hand. Very lp here, can see everything. But the heavier stuff will be along soon.

Nice!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Thunder heard in dover.

Dover must be the storm capital. An average to poor year in my part of London different story further south and east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Dover must be the storm capital. An average to poor year in my part of London different story further south and east.

I don't expect most of dover to have got this one, it was hugging the coast, worst bit over folkestone who even had hail.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
14 hours ago, matt111 said:

Just heard a rumble. Looks like it came from just west of the Isle of Wight. 

Just thought i'd pop on to say hi!

I was out fishing last night, and saw the bolt of lightning zigzag down to the water, just off of the West coast of the IoW. I was watching the cloud that produced it, and decided to take a picture. Seconds after I took it was when the bolt appeared.

20170831_231853.thumb.jpg.d35cb649e958c806759da8f4ac9f944a.jpg

Several other bolts appeared from cells out in the channel too.

• Like 6

Posted
17 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Seeing a lot of lightning over towards E Lincs at the moment. Making the most of it! 

Watching from the beach in Hunstanton just after sunset for about two hours was a lovely surprise, flashes and bolts even a few clear ground strikes at some points every other second for about 10 minutes around 8:30pm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
21 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Here is the stills from one of my clips from earlier,the lightning was quiet prolific for a little storm but only the five lightning strikes within a eight minute clip so wasn't very active,if you want me to upload the clip i will but i feel as if it's not worth it

vlcsnap-error900.thumb.png.03905637abe329d237cfd8736c2c9e86.pngvlcsnap-error436.thumb.png.33b6209ff0b4f036bc97bfa971ec67a2.pngvlcsnap-error370.thumb.png.998dc80a445fce1f02ab310eba418342.pngvlcsnap-error555.thumb.png.c24a22794dabf55272dd9b5727eecb5d.pngvlcsnap-error588.thumb.png.70f10c425436de3095c086de1107080e.png

Incredible and beautiful pink lightning. Well done for capturing and thanks for sharing.:)

• Thanks 1

Posted

So, I've seen lots of tiny towers rising and falling all day. Skies have been full of puffy cumulous with little towers trying to go up, but a strong cap has prevented any action. Then, I got home a few minutes ago and saw this beast, oh yes...

20170831_163750.thumb.jpg.9ddfa1bedd09d83ee7d860b846445ef0.jpg

20170901_163552.thumb.jpg.855b125927b54eeb528c40d1d0d4eb1a.jpg

20170901_163556.thumb.jpg.efd5ef813703d7ed7964e7e01c29e30b.jpg

20170901_163702.thumb.jpg.ed49f3f6cbb3aea080488c85acf90018.jpg

And the money shot...

20170901_163932.thumb.jpg.a4266bb0b913e19aa1e5181e5b0d41a2.jpg

As these are surface based I think it may be a little late for any action, but there's still something incredibly humbling about seeing these giants move slowly across the landscape that always has me in awe.

Posted
Just now, Hurricane Andrew said:

Wouldn't say no to another storm after yesterdays :)

We missed that sadly. We brew them someone else gets them. That's how its been this Summer lol