Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
30 minutes ago, karyo said:

That's a long time ago, things have changed.

Yes, but no one has come up with a rational explanation as to why.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
44 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

I know it's a while off, but there seems to be a potential for some storms here in the SE on Saturday and Sunday.

Yes, I saw that as well. There is a lot of uncertainty at the moment with the models but nearer the time we should get a more accurate picture of whats going on. Fingers crossed my friend.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Chris.R said:

I have no words. What is it with plumes this year. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up. :-(

They weren't that good last year around here. I know you had a really good event out in Anglesey. The plumes have delivered just not around here. 

I think that's it now for the meteorological summer. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!
1 hour ago, Another Kent clipper said:

At 9.05am I thought, "let's drive towards leeds". "Nah, it'll be gone by then, let's stay put."  I would have been there by now :s

Grimsby and Hull: keep an eye on that little baby near Peterborough 

Hi.

Yes Thunder heard from the storm mentioned. Sky looking dark towards the Lincolnshire wolds. It's looking like it'll miss me in Cleethorpes but will clip parts of Grimsby and the Immingham area's......bugger. had a few flashes and booms at 4am too. Rain just started here as I type and distant rumbles audible.

Regards Glenn 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Rickoza said:

Not the greatest, but right at the start our only flash of lightning this morning.  They, as usual, more or less completely avoided us!

Back Garden1503463680381.mp4

Thanks for sharing regardless. Always appreciate seeing people's storm experiences. :)

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, LightningLover said:

I know it's a while off, but there seems to be a potential for some storms here in the SE on Saturday and Sunday.

Yes. That'll be because I'm going to Yorkshire!!!! #sodslaw

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Woollymummy said:

Camping in Dunwich in Suffolk, couldn't see horizon for all the trees but long period of super

bright lightning flashes around 4:30, thunder was faint and a long time after the flashes, over a minute maybe? Very warm south wind blowing all night, only a tiny bit of rain. Does anyone know if Oxfordshire got heavy rain?

No not really. Bands of patchy disorganised rain throughout the evening and fog this morning. Feeling much fresher

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
12 hours ago, LightningLover said:

deep rumble, and sferics near eastbourne!

For goodness sake, that's the 2nd time this month I've been asleep and missed a nearby t/storm.:angry:

Posted

In Scarborough for a few days and would you believe it I've managed to catch a cracker. Been thundering and flashing for over an hour, seems to be coming from all directions, torrential rain too and the thunder seems to be getting louder. This is what the east gets is it....

• Like 1

Posted

I stayed up until 3am here expecting things to be developing from the west but gave up and set the alarm for 7am hoping it'd be overhead by that time, instead the storms decided to completely jump over the NorthWest and developed as they moved into Yorkshire instead. win some/lose some. 

Had a good night of tracking the front moving out from N.Ireland into Scotland, and was just reading earlier than 100 people have had to be rescued from Flooding overnight there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41019610

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Ok so here's my video from this mornings storm east of Leeds. For about an hour there wasn't a second where you couldn't here thunder somewhere around, and the rain got torrential at times. M1, A1,  M62 and M621 motorways all had partial closures for flooding within 5 miles of here. Also, for anyone attending Leeds Festival this weekend, it's about 5 miles from here so bring wellies lol!

I've watched this back and recommend you have proper speakers or, best of all, headphones as my phone speakers mainly play the rain on the conservatory roof, drowning out a lot of the booming thunder. First half is as the band approaches with distant rolling thunder getting closer, the torrential rain and odd visible flash are at the back end. Shot over about 45mins but video is less than 10 mins. Hope you enjoy if you missed out today.... 

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I stayed up until 3am here expecting things to be developing from the west but gave up and set the alarm for 7am hoping it'd be overhead by that time, instead the storms decided to completely jump over the NorthWest and developed as they moved into Yorkshire instead. win some/lose some. 

Had a good night of tracking the front moving out from N.Ireland into Scotland, and was just reading earlier than 100 people have had to be rescued from Flooding overnight there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41019610

They have had some thundery activity this year, Northern Ireland. Possibly the best place to be this year so far for a storm fan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Finally got my first storm of the season! Around 4am it all began, with tropical rain and lots of close lightning and booming thunder! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, vizzy2004 said:

Incredible storm just passed over here, chased it from near Easingwold across to Malton, flash flooding on many roads with constant lightning and deafening thunder.

Dropped 20mm in an hour here adding to whats been a very wet summer.

3rd direct hit this summer which isnt bad going for my location.

I am in Malton today, 3rd Malton storm of the year for me, and I am only here 9-5 weekdays. It was certainly a show, and the rain was torrential for about 20 mins. No cloud structure to see, but came in very dark, almost twilight dark. Storms are now clearing the coast. Mrs said it was thundering and heavy rain after lunch but not as bad as here. Scarborough copped the full force though.

• Like 1

Posted

Great video Bazookabob, that near continuous thunder is something else !

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
1 minute ago, SenlacJack said:

Great video Bazookabob, that near continuous thunder is something else !

Did you see the offshore lightning last night? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Brilliant storm here in whitby earlier . Was as dark as night . Constant lightening . Shot gun thunder vibrating the house and torrential rain 

• Like 1

Posted

North West England has never really been a great place to be if you like thunderstorms,  and its getting worse, not sure what the dynamics are that storms dont particularly happen here that often , is it the storm killer Irish sea ?  , you would think,  but yet that seems to generate more thunder than over the land :wallbash: ,   so it cant really be that,  especially the last year or so , last evening was another example  

Yes it was better decades ago, but so were other regions,   It really is the capital of boring non weather , and it seems to getting more mundane , we cant even get proper sunny hot cloudless days anymore or even just cloudless days , it sucks here    

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, IanR said:

North West England has never really been a great place to be if you like thunderstorms,  and its getting worse, not sure what the dynamics are that storms dont particularly happen here that often , is it the storm killer Irish sea ?  , you would think,  but yet that seems to generate more thunder than over the land :wallbash: ,   so it cant really be that,  especially the last year or so , last evening was another example  

Yes it was better decades ago, but so were other regions,   It really is the capital of boring non weather , and it seems to getting more mundane , we cant even get proper sunny hot cloudless days anymore or even just cloudless days , it sucks here    

It's merging into one giant miasma of nothingness ,winter

spring ,autumn,, summer, same old  crap ,not much point being interested in weather in these parts .

Posted
4 hours ago, LightningLover said:

Did you see the offshore lightning last night? 

No mate, for the 2nd time this month I missed it all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Local forecast correct again. Zippo here as expected.

Just played the radar loop and the storms went to west of home address and to the west of the work address so far western areas of Sheffield had a storm. So the local forecast was wrong.

Edited by The PIT
Just checked the radar

Posted
2 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

It's merging into one giant miasma of nothingness ,winter

spring ,autumn,, summer, same old  crap ,not much point being interested in weather in these parts .

Think of taking up embroidery , far more exciting the the NW weather  :rofl: